CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: ******** vs ????

you won't get strong or look strong as long as you are happy doing the female RX. lift heavier. eat more. push harder.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #22
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

They get the six packs by having built a huge amount of muscle doing heavy strength training, and leaning down to low bodyfat with cf conditioning and proper diet.
Seriously, take about 10 seconds and compare your goal for your body, to the actual bodies of those you want to look like, the majority of them are packing less bodyfat and weigh 10-20 lb more than your goal weight:
http://games.crossfit.com/finals/competitors
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

You don't eat enough. My lunch was 1600 calories. Lots of chicken, rice, eggs, greek yogurt, blue berries, peanut butter and a protein shake. That was just lunch. Start eating, really eating, lots of protein, carbs and some fat. Get on a good strength trying program and stop or limit the crossfit workouts and other cardiovascular work.

Don't do gomad.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
Jay Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
you won't get strong or look strong as long as you are happy doing the female RX. lift heavier. eat more. push harder.
I try to lift as heavy as I can without messing up my form. Most of the time I go for between mens and womens RX. Im not strong enough to do the mens RX on most lifts. I also cant stand doing LA Fitness type workouts. I really enjoy the crossfit workouts.

Ive bumped up my caloric input by eating almost 3500-4000 calories a day of regular food (Not McDonalds or anything like that.) eating 5-6 times a day. Ill see how that goes within the next week. Im sure Ill gain the weight quickly. I just dont want to get the spare tire bigger.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #25
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Golden View Post
so then...how do these guys get 6 pack abs and look strong as mofos?

Youre telling me pick one or the other?
If you want the bodybuilder look with the six pack abs, then why not do a bodybuilding routine until you get the desired results? While you can get those results doing CrossFit, it is easier and faster if you use the right bodybuilding programming. Bodybuilding isn't as evil as it is made out to be by some of the CrossFitters.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #26
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'm not sure you understand what most are suggesting regarding heavier weights. They aren't saying use heavier than the RX'd weights for metcon WODs, they are saying you should have some type of strength program to up your muscle content. If you have more muscle, you'll be a metabolic engine that will help burn fat. If you keep on hammering metcons and do aerobic work, you'll burn off some fat, but you might burn off some muscle too.

So continue to do metcon's and work towards the RX'd weights. But the goals of most metcons are not primarily strenght, they are to build the different energy systems--metabolic capacity, anaerobic performance.

But, find a strength program you like to actually build muscle and strength--there are plenty of blended programs that work strength and conditioning. CrossFit Football is a great fit since both tennis and football have multiple brief plays with short rest periods. Others here have used Wendler's 5/3/1, Greyskull LP and I like using the Westside template.

This combined with food will get you closer to ripped abs without losing muscular size.