CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #21
Jason Ashman

Profile:
Re: MMA and street fights??

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Orcutt View Post
The OP mentioned something along the lines of Krav Maga, and then I saw another post about being threatened with a knife. Someone else mentioned Krav being developed by elite Israelis. OP if you learn Krav with your friend, they will teach you how to shove the attackers knife back through his own gut, while you break his wind pipe and dislocate his knee at the same time. Then it says to run.
You run to avoid the assault and other charges that ending the poor sap who tried to fight you will surely bring.

I take Krav twice a week, and I'll agree with everything that's been posted about it.

Its an effective street-fighting system that teaches brutal, effective, no mercy defensive techniques (eyes, balls, throat, grid (nose and mouth)) in addition to understanding aggression and being able to see when a situation has escalated to the point where physical violence is unavoidable. It's quite literally self-defense problem solving, and advocates first-strike and threat neutralization. In other words, if its about to fly, strike first, end it quickly and without compromise, then beat it before the cops (or reinforcements) show up.

The best part for Crossfitters? In order to simulate real-world situations, it's- at least where I attend- taught at high-speed, in fatigued conditions. Imagine doing bodyweight-only quasi-Crossfit workout (say run 30m, 20 squats, run 30m, 20 pushups, run 30m, 20 situps, then repeat, but scaling down from 20 to 15 to 10 reps for each round).

THEN you do a combat warmup.

THEN you get taught the lesson of the day, and practice it. A LOT.

THEN you do another high-intensity mini-workout (say 15 squats, 15 ankle kicks and 1 minute of upper cuts at high speed).

THEN, you spin around 6 times.

When you come out of that 6th spin, the rest of the bastards in the class come for you. Hard.

Welcome to the pressure test: Defend yourself.

It is the best workout- physically and mentally- I've ever experienced, and I've never come out of it without feeling like I was about to die and feeling great at the same time.

I've had to take a few weeks off due to work conflicts, and I start back up next week; I've been stoked for the last week waiting for it. If you get the opportunity to take it, do not pass it up, even if you haven't thrown a punch since Elementary school.

Last edited by Jason Ashman : 07-18-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #22
John Orcutt

Profile:

I'm in.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Orcutt View Post
I'm in.
Yeah- I went back this week, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons of 60 minute sessions (more technique-based, no pressure-test), with plans of going to the normal 90 minute class on Thursday night as well.

I never made it- The Thursday afternoon one buggered me up enough I just couldn't get up for a 2-a-day. Hell, I had to scale-down my workout today because of the physical shock from getting back into it.

Krav's not popular like MMA or BJJ, but a bunch of the dudes that take Krav here got into it when they got bored of Judo, BJJ, or other martial arts, or else compliment their normal lower-intensity training with it. Its not pretty, its not fancy, but it works, and- in grand Crossift tradition- it'll mess you up.