CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Fight Gone Bad III - Can I choose which our donations go to?

I'd like to participate in the 3rd annual FGB fundraiser, but one of my close friends pointed something out last year, and I tend to agree with him on it. Now I'm not 100% sure how the Prostate Cancer Foundation works, but he mentioned how most cancer research done nowadays is spent on researching drugs, instead of other (I believe) more promising areas, at least some of which are natural cures or preventative measures.

At any rate, what I'm basically saying is, can we do the FGB III as an affiliate, but have all our donations go to the Wounded Warrior foundation? I didn't see an email address or anyone at CF to ask about this, so that's why I ask here.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
John Schneider

Profile:
Re: Fight Gone Bad III - Can I choose which our donations go to?

I think it is set up that 25% of everything goes to the Wounded Warrior Project. I don't know if there is anyway to adjust that.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Donald Clarkson

Profile:

I would like further clarification on this as well. I am active military and will be trying to get donations from primarily military personnel and their families. I will be far more successful if I can at least explain how much of their donation goes to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Also, I checked the Wounded Warrior Project web page and they are not listing FGB III as an event supproting them.

Don
Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Clarkson View Post
Also, I checked the Wounded Warrior Project web page and they are not listing FGB III as an event supproting them.
That too...
Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Scott Zagarino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
I'd like to participate in the 3rd annual FGB fundraiser, but one of my close friends pointed something out last year, and I tend to agree with him on it. Now I'm not 100% sure how the Prostate Cancer Foundation works, but he mentioned how most cancer research done nowadays is spent on researching drugs, instead of other (I believe) more promising areas, at least some of which are natural cures or preventative measures.

At any rate, what I'm basically saying is, can we do the FGB III as an affiliate, but have all our donations go to the Wounded Warrior foundation? I didn't see an email address or anyone at CF to ask about this, so that's why I ask here.
Scott from Athletes for a Cure here. Couple of quick points I hope will help with this. Regarding prostate cancer, if you visit www.pcf.org you'll find that "drugs" are probably the least important facet of what we do. As you'll see, we fund literally hundreds of research projects ranging from better and earlier diagnostics to possible genomic implications and surgical techniques. We also spend a great deal of time on preventative issues. The site is a huge resource for patients, families and basic cancer information. Wander around a bit and see if this is more in line with your thinking. Respectfully, your friend is misinformed, at least about us.

To the question of choosing your charity. With a lot of help from Crossfit and Petranek Fitness early on, Athletes for a Cure developed the entire process (at great expense) by which FGB is conducted nationally each year, scored, awarded and accounted for. It was out of respect for the Crossfit community and my personal ties to the military that we (I) went to WWP and invited them to participate at no expense to them. We are paying all of the freight and happy to do it. The 25% is a net check, and money that had we not done exhaustive research on effective militatry charities (Thanks Josh), WWP would never have seen. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. scott@athletesforacure.org
Old 08-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Scott Zagarino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Clarkson View Post
I would like further clarification on this as well. I am active military and will be trying to get donations from primarily military personnel and their families. I will be far more successful if I can at least explain how much of their donation goes to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Don
Sorry to post like this but when things like this are questioned, I like to responsd thoroughly.

>
> From: Scott Zagarino [mailto:zagarino@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Scott Zagarino
> Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:27 PM
> To: Catherine Pillsbury
> Subject: Fight Gone Bad
>
> Catherine,
>
> Are we on? I have to make the announcement this week if we are. Thanks.
>
> Scott

On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Catherine Pillsbury wrote:

> Yes. Attached is the WWP Proud Supporter logo that you can use. 'The Proud Supporter of' must remain above the logo in every use, otherwise it is not an approved use. Please provide us with any use of the logo prior to its production (flyers, posters, ads, tickets, etc.)
>
> Please note in all instances our name is Wounded Warrior Project.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ____________________________
> Catherine Pillsbury
> Community Participation Manager
> Wounded Warrior Project
> 7020 A.C. Skinner Pkwy, Suite 100
> Jacksonville, FL 32256
> ph: 904-296-7350
> fax: 904-296-7347
> www.woundedwarriorproject.org
>
Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Donald Clarkson

Profile:

Quote:
Sorry to post like this but when things like this are questioned, I like to responsd thoroughly.
Scott, I wasn't questioning whether or not they were actually receiving part of the FGB donations, rather I was pointing out that they were not showing it as a fundraising event. I thought that was something they (WWP) might want to correct as it might encourage more military personnel to participate.

I appreciate the answers from everyone and look forward to raising money for both causes.

Don