CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Chris Mousetis

Profile:
Mousetis Fitness & Sport Log

After receiving some positive feedback about this idea from a few fellow CFers (namely Mary Ann Rigney of Crossfit Rockwall & Mike Goldberg), I decided to start a log on this forum to share my experiences in learning to play a new sport. Iíll also include my regular workouts so Iím in line w/ the purpose of this forum. I havenít found/seen any logs on this forum detailing the experiences people have had in learning a new sport so I thought this might be an interesting twist to a typical workout log.

Anyways, the sport Iím going to learn is hockey. Iíve always enjoyed watching hockey on TV (Iím a Penguins fan), but have never set foot inside an ice rink. Iíve never put on ice skates, pads, or any other equipment. The only thing relatively close to ice skating that Iíve done in my life is inline skating when I was a teenagerÖfor all of 30 minutesÖ.and half of that time was spent picking myself up off my rear end. So, as you can see, Iím starting at ground zero.

If youíre a current for former hockey player, I welcome any tips you can provide! I've already received some great tips from Jeff Yan & Mike Goldberg.

Yesterday was day 1 in the learning process. See my next post for the details.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Chris Mousetis

Profile:
Re: Mousetis Fitness & Sport Log

7/1/08

Workout

Sandbag mile (100lb bag) on a track.
20:57

The first two laps took me over 12 minutes trying to carry the bag all on one shoulder. My arms, shoulders, and obliques quickly fatigued. I had to stop and rest after each of the 1st two laps. Then I switched to a fireman's carry with the sand evenly divided to rest on each shoulder and was able to do the last two laps w/o stopping. I think I can easily go under 19:00 next time.

Sport

45-50 minutes of inline skating.

I skated at a small, outdoor roller hockey rink near my apartment, but it's not exactly in great shape. There are weeds growing up through cracks in the surface all over the place. Fortunately I found an area were I can skate the length of the rink w/o having to dodge too many obstacles. I got moving pretty good a couple of times, but never made it the full length of the rink w/o wobbling and slowing down.

I only fell twice, which was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting to fall a whole lot more. The first time wasn't too bad, but the second time I got airborne and landed hard (I mean REAL hard) on the left side of my rear end. I had to take a time out and just lay there on the court for a minute or two after that fall. Fortunately I escaped unscathed and unbruised.

The local ice rink has a "learning to skate" class but the next one doesn't start until late August (I missed the one that started at the end of June). So in the meantime, I'll be practicing on inline skates. Sometime between now and when that class begins, I think I'll head over to the ice rink and start practicing ice skating.

Stay tuned!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Chris Mousetis

Profile:

7/2/08

Rest day...

& one of the best naps I've ever taken!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Chris Mousetis

Profile:

7/3/08

Workout

SP: 1-1-1-1-1
PP: 3-3-3-3-3
PJ: 5-5-5-5-5

SP: 125-135-140(f)-140-145(pr)
PP: 135-145-150-155-160(pr)
PJ: 135-145-145-155-160(pr)

Previous PRs were:
SP-135
PP-155
PJ-135

Sport

No hockey or skating practice today
Old 07-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Chris Mousetis

Profile:

7/4/08

Happy Birthday America! Thanks to all of those who keep us free!

Workout

At the park w/ my brother

2 rounds:

~50-60 yd run (~25-30 yd out, then back to starting point)
~30 yd 100lb sandbag carry (~15 yd out, then back to starting point)
20 x 75lb sandbag push presses*
Push a Honda Element ~25-30 yds**
20 x sandbag renegade rows (10 reps w/25lb bag for each arm)*

Chris: 12:03
Tim: 12:43

*had to untie & retie the canvas bag each time we had to add or remove 25lbs. It added an extra dimension of mental focus to the workout.

**one person pushed the car forward while the other guided the steering wheel while walking next to the car for 25-30 yds, then we reversed positions. So there was some "active rest" as the person steering got to just walk for ~25-30 yds

Then we did 15 med ball throws for max height.

I need to start measuring the distances on these park workouts. I also need to weigh my homemade med ball too.

Sport

I'm off to Richmond, VA for a cookout and hangin w/some friends. No skating practice today, but I'm planning on skating tomorrow and doing some stickhandling practice as well.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Chris Mousetis

Profile:

7/6/08

I was a slacker yesterday. The workout on the 4th plus playing outside in the heat all day wore me out. Didn't do much other than eat & sleep.

Workout

At the park.
3 stations; complete each station once

Station1:
~50yds farmer's walks (25lb sandbag in each hand)
20 renegade rows (25lb sandbag in each hand)
~50yds farmer's walks (25lb sandbag in each hand)
~75yd run

Station2:
~50yds 75lb sandbag carry
15 x 75lb sandbag clean to shoulder
~50yds 75lb sandbag carry
~75yd run

Station3:
~50yds slosh pipe zercher carry
10 burpees
~50yds OH slosh pipe carry
~75yd run

Tim (station2, station3, station1) - 9:05
Chris (station3, station1, station2) - 10:02
Mark (station1, station2,station3) - 10:09

Then,

Sandbag Throwing contest (a la the hammer throw)
1) Chris
2) Mark (-6ft)
3) Tim (-7ft)

Med ball shot put contest
1) Chris
2) Tim (-6in)
3) Mark (-3ft)

Sport

15 minutes of stick handling.

I realized that I had to keep my eyes down and on my stick handling ball the entire time to keep it from getting away from me. I'll have get better at this w/o looking at the ball the whole time. If I get on the ice and have my eyes down at the puck, I'm sure I'll get hammered. I saw this happen a couple of times during the NHL playoffs. It never ended well for the guy w/the puck...
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

Hey Chris! Your adventures at the outdoor rink reminds me of when Mike and I decided to start skateboarding! We're both pretty tall (he's 6'6" and I'm 5'9"), so when we fall, it hurts a lot more than the little kids. And we look a little bit more ridiculous.

Your park workouts sound cool. I may be taking some ideas from you! I think I may construct a slosh pipe this afternoon.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

Dam - how heavy is your slosh pipe? I made two:

4" diam, 10 feet long, 45 lbs (impossible for me to do anything with....that will be Mike and JJ's, I guess)

3" diam, 9 feet long, 27.5 lbs (I can do a couple overhead squats and at least carry this one)
Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Chris Mousetis

Profile:

Thanks for the posts Mary Ann! The park workouts are a blast. Everyone who has joined me on those was at one point a pretty serious athlete so they get quite competitive.

I've never measured how much the slosh pipe weighs (guess I need to get on that), but I fill it up between 1/3 & 1/2 full. It's a 9ft long, 4in diameter pipe. I read in this thread (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ght=slosh+pipe wfs) that a 9ft long, 4in diameter pipe filled 1/2 full is about 40lbs (page 2 of the thread). There are some other interesting notes worth reading in that thread as well.

Try a set or two of DLs w/a slosh pipe. It's great grip work!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

The slosh-fest went great! We'll definitely be taking it out there again. I think I'll start using Saturdays to introduce new & crazy training implements. I don't think I can get a Honda Element, so maybe sandbags will be next!

How's hockey going?