CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: apparently not eating enough?

I was at your weight not too long ago it seemed. I am your same height as well. I am confused at your question? Are you seeking to gain more strength and able to do so currently? If you are and are gaining then why bother with the quesiton about food? If you are starting to have trouble, then you sir, must eat more and get brawny lad.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
I didn't read in the op's post where he said he wanted to gain weight or get stronger so he didnt ask for diet or exercise advise. At least I didnt read it that way, maybe I'm wrong.

It appears as though he is happy with his weight and his strength he is just wondering why the food calculators are showing him at a 1000 calorie defficit when he has been doing fine for a year on what he is currently eating.
From his second post:
"but my goals are to improve my o-lifts"...

He says his performance hasn't suffered due to undereating, yet he's 5'10" and 150lbs with a 175lb 1RM squat after eating this way for a year and training for an unspecified period of time.

I think telling him to eat more and lift heavy more is a perfectly reasonable suggestion if he wants to improve his Oly lifting.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Yea I just took his post at face value, I didn't see a question in there anywhere about how to improve o lifts or gain weight. Most would agree with the reccomendations I just didn't see him asking for that kind of advice. No biggie.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

No problem, and I agree with your point that "real world" trumps science because every person's situation will be slightly different and no two bodies will react exactly the same.

But in this case, the OP is currently underweight and understrong, so the "real world" seems to indicate that he probably is undereating by about 1000 calories a day, and that what he has been doing is not the best overall approach.

Plus, Bulgarian Oly cycles are known to be extremely demanding in terms of volume and intensity, so undereating is an especially bad idea on that sort of program.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #15
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
I've been eating relatively the same amount per day for a year (give or take) and have made considerable strength and speed gains/all around physical improvements.
however, i just tried a few different calorie calculators and all of them show that I'm eating about 1000 calories to few a day.
can this be possible if I've been perfectly fine all this time doing what I'm doing?

i want to stay lean like i currently am and my performance hasn't suffered at all that i know of so i wanted to know if i can get some honest opinions on the matter. (I've previously listened to the consensus of people on here previously and it has done me well)
Estimated energy intakes based on food diaries can easily be out by as much as 50% so providing you feel okay and your lifts and body composition are improving you should just forget about calorie counting.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #16
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
I've been eating relatively the same amount per day for a year (give or take) and have made considerable strength and speed gains/all around physical improvements.
however, i just tried a few different calorie calculators and all of them show that I'm eating about 1000 calories to few a day.
can this be possible if I've been perfectly fine all this time doing what I'm doing?

i want to stay lean like i currently am and my performance hasn't suffered at all that i know of so i wanted to know if i can get some honest opinions on the matter. (I've previously listened to the consensus of people on here previously and it has done me well)
Quote:
height-5'10
weight-150
bodyfat- no idea to be honest, but I'm lean and have a typical wrestlers build
lift numbers:
c&j-120
snatch-100
deadlift-300
squat-175

i haven't done cf so i can't tell you benchmarks for that (not sure what they are either) but my goals are to improve my o-lifts and that all I've been training.
hope that helps in terms of background?
If you are happy with where you are and consistently improving, why change anything?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #17
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

just to clarify something real quick.
i have been eating this way for over a year. However, ive only been lifting for about three months. before those three months i was just wrestling for hs and doing no lifting whatsoever. so if my lifts are relativley weak its because im pretty new to lifting.
but the advice given has been great so far
Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

So are you concerned about gaining any weight? I mean granted not many people want to gain fat but if you could ingest more calories get stronger and put on LBM is that something you would be interested in or no?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

I'm fine with weight gain I suppose. I don't really weight myself much though because Its meaningless to me. I'm more concerned with being lean with low bf.
I also just started eating 3-4 pieces of fruit a day, but I want to know if that will effect my body comp
Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Do you care about getting stronger and better at the Oly lifts, or do you just want to be lean and have nice abzzz?

If you want to be stronger and a better Oly lifter, 150lbs is far from the ideal weight for a 5'10" male.