CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Frank Passalacqua

Profile:
Compression Pant/Skins....Apparently don't work!

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...ay/639791.html w/f/s

I have worn SKins before and never really noticed much...other than maybe keeping me warm...I guess this kind of proves that's all they are good for??
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Andy Kauth

Profile:
Re: Compression Pant/Skins....Apparently don't work!

Thanks for the link; an interesting topic ...
Admittedly, they did say "it is a very individual response."
I used to wear a rather crappy tennis elbow brace from a local pharmacy to help cope with some pain in my right elbow, but it always fell off when doing pull-ups and WODs with a lot of arm work. I received some Skins "sleeves" as a gift and gave 'em a try--haven't had any elbow pain since wearing them during and after my workouts. Should people spend loads of $ on compression gear? Works for me ... and I like 'em; since I have also purchased Skins shorts and a shirt ...
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Pretty limited write-up. It discusses socks only, doesn't discuss recovery, only looks at runners. The accompanying link is a bit more comprehensive.

There's many factors: type of sport, level of compression, indiv differences, how long they are worn, etc.

Many people swear by them; I seem to do better with them.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Adam Strome

Profile:

There may or may not be physical advantages but if they give the athlete a mental advantage then they're still benefical regardless.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

That article is incredibly weak, especially the conclusion drawn from the first study, and, alone, should not persuade anyone of anything. Lets examine:

Quote:
a new study shows that compression garments have no effect on sports performance.

Indiana University researchers found that lower leg compression sleeves don't affect a runner's oxygen consumption, which means there is no improvement in running economy or efficiency.
The article states that there is no effect on sports performance despite not looking at any measures of actual performance. THIS (WFS) link lists that the benefits of compression garb could possibly include the following

* enhancing blood circulation to peripheral limbs
* reducing blood lactate concentration during maximal exercise bouts
* enhancing warm-up via increases in skin temperature
* increasing vertical jump height
* improving repetitive jump power
* reducing muscle oscillation upon ground contact
* increasing torque generated about joints, improving performance and reducing the risk of injury, for example, assisting the eccentric action of the hamstring at the end of the swing phase in running
* enhancing recovery following strenuous exercise by aiding in the removal of blood lactate and improving subsequent exercise performance
* reducing the effects of delayed onset muscle soreness in the days following strenuous exercise
* increasing feelings of positive leg sensations both during and following strenuous exercise.

but this article will imply that none of those benefits exist because oxygen consumption is the same? I'm throwing out the BS flag on that one.

I don't know if compression gear does any good, but if someone wants to tell me the effect on performance they should actually study performance.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Donald Clarkson

Profile:

I have used Skins recovery tights and from my perspective they seem to help.

Don

http://www.crossfitbelair.com/
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Damon Stewart

Profile:

There's quite a body of medical evidence regarding compressions' role in enhancing recovery. If you have have surgery from the waist down you'll probably be Rx'ed compression gear. Weak study. Most I know don't wear them for increased performance but for increased recovery.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
James A Stevens

Profile:

After reading the article, then reading the linked article on that page, the two seem very unrelated. Not to cast aspersions on the persons journalistic ability but the author chose one tiny part of the original article to make a point that was very very specific and then apply it to a whole range of other things.

So compression socks don't appear to improve performance therefore no compression stuff is any good. That is clearly not what the second article says, although it does say that research seems at present to be a inconclusive. I could be wrong but that is how I read it anyways.

My personal experience with Compression clothing (short sleeve shirt and shorts from Under Armor) has been very positive. What really helped is when I started using I still was carrying excess weight and it stopped bits from wobbling!!

Seriously though, I have found compression wear has been good for about 30-45 second improvement on my 2.4 kilometre run time.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Frank Passalacqua

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stevens View Post
After reading the article, then reading the linked article on that page, the two seem very unrelated. Not to cast aspersions on the persons journalistic ability but the author chose one tiny part of the original article to make a point that was very very specific and then apply it to a whole range of other things.

So compression socks don't appear to improve performance therefore no compression stuff is any good. That is clearly not what the second article says, although it does say that research seems at present to be a inconclusive. I could be wrong but that is how I read it anyways.

My personal experience with Compression clothing (short sleeve shirt and shorts from Under Armor) has been very positive. What really helped is when I started using I still was carrying excess weight and it stopped bits from wobbling!!

Seriously though, I have found compression wear has been good for about 30-45 second improvement on my 2.4 kilometre run time.

Great points all around, from everyone. I'll still be wearing my skins