CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:
Post Apparently I have it all wrong

I thought my diet was good. Apparently Fitday begs to differ...greaty, to say the least. So far for today, it has me clocked in at 3,238 cals consumed, 345.7 g of fat, 348.5 of carbs, and a whopping 201.1 of protein. WOW

Bf- Breakfast sandwhich- 1 egg, 1 slice ham, 1 slice cheese, mustard, on a bagel; OJ

AM snack- Nature Valley Oats & Honey bar, Gatorade, peanut butter sandwhich

Lunch- this will vary between 2 turkey sandwhiches with swiss, lettuce, & mustard; a Subway foot long roast beef on oat with swiss, lettuce, and mustard; turkey club on white with swiss, lettuce, and mayo. Both with baked bbq chips, a water bottle, and PB cookie. Sometimes I'll have a Subway pizza with ham too.

PM/Post workout- I'll have a Monster Milk protein drink in whole Lactaid when I get home from work/working out.

Dinner- This varies a lot, from pulled-pork sammiches, to alfredo/pasta, to pizza, to boiled/grilled chickens/steaks and potatoes. I try to always have a salad with my dinners.

Before I go to bed I'll try to throw 1 more PB sandwhich in there.

According to Fitday, that breaks down to 58% fat, 26% carbs, and 15% protein. I'm just shocked at that, and as bad as it now appears, this is actually a pretty normal diet for me. Is it so bad that I should just straight up go see a nutritionist?

I'm 5'10", 141 for those wondering.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Apparently I have it all wrong

What are your goals? What's your activity level?

At 5'10" and only 141 pounds, you seem to burning all those calories. So what's the issue?

Katherine

PS Eat more veggies. They won't change the macronutrient ratios or calorie count much, but are good for you.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I'm not sure why you'd pay a nutritionist for help unless you really don't know where to start reading here...
I'd worry more about the protein/carbs ratio than the fat at this point. And the refined carbs.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Travis Earp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffray Marcantel View Post
I thought my diet was good. Apparently Fitday begs to differ...greaty, to say the least. So far for today, it has me clocked in at 3,238 cals consumed, 345.7 g of fat, 348.5 of carbs, and a whopping 201.1 of protein. WOW

Bf- Breakfast sandwhich- 1 egg, 1 slice ham, 1 slice cheese, mustard, on a bagel; OJ

AM snack- Nature Valley Oats & Honey bar, Gatorade, peanut butter sandwhich

Lunch- this will vary between 2 turkey sandwhiches with swiss, lettuce, & mustard; a Subway foot long roast beef on oat with swiss, lettuce, and mustard; turkey club on white with swiss, lettuce, and mayo. Both with baked bbq chips, a water bottle, and PB cookie. Sometimes I'll have a Subway pizza with ham too.

PM/Post workout- I'll have a Monster Milk protein drink in whole Lactaid when I get home from work/working out.

Dinner- This varies a lot, from pulled-pork sammiches, to alfredo/pasta, to pizza, to boiled/grilled chickens/steaks and potatoes. I try to always have a salad with my dinners.

Before I go to bed I'll try to throw 1 more PB sandwhich in there.

According to Fitday, that breaks down to 58% fat, 26% carbs, and 15% protein. I'm just shocked at that, and as bad as it now appears, this is actually a pretty normal diet for me. Is it so bad that I should just straight up go see a nutritionist?

I'm 5'10", 141 for those wondering.
Cut the processed stuff, breads, pastas, nature valley bars, etc. Replace with whole food, meat, eggs, veggies, nuts, seeds, oils, fruit. I highly doubt you need to see a nutritionist, though.

What are your goals?

At 5'10", 141 pounds, I reckon you could stand to gain some serious weight. Eat like a horse, squat, deadlift, press, do CF, whatever. Just eat whole food, lift and sleep. Not going to get into macronutrient breakdowns and all that, as it just seems to cause problems more often than not.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What are your goals? What's your activity level?

At 5'10" and only 141 pounds, you seem to burning all those calories. So what's the issue?

Katherine

PS Eat more veggies. They won't change the macronutrient ratios or calorie count much, but are good for you.
I work in a warehouse moving nonstop for 6-8 hours on M/W/F, and lift on T/Th/S. I'd like to get up to 150 lb for now, then make my way to 175+.

I have lettuce on my sandwhiches, carrots/grapes with the turkey sandwhiches I pack and always have a glass of OJ in the morning.

I was hoping to have a more of a 50c/30p/20f-type diet or 40c/30p/30f, and thought I was there, obviously not.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Renee Lee

Profile:

i think the breads from all the sammiches you eat are what's doing you in
Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

To add carbs, eat more fruit and veggies. To add protein, eat more eggs and meat. (Or milk, but if I remember you are lactose intolerant, right?) To gain weight, eat more of everything.

Katherine
Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
but if I remember you are lactose intolerant, right?)
You are correct, that's where Lactaid comes in.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I'm not sure what you are really asking here, you are making no effort to make proper food choices or take any suggestions from the board as evidenced by your diet.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
Mat Frankel

Profile:

your drinking orange juice and gatorade, take a look at those labels that they put on them. There is a reason they are there.
I can't remember the exact quote but it goes something like: "if theres a nutrition label on it, its not real food." Thats a good way to think about it. Just eat tons of whole real food.