CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
SS and not eating enough

I started the SS program today, drinking the milk, and I'm running into a problem with food...

I'm currently 115 and want to bring that up about twenty pounds or so, since being this small generally stinks for Crossfit applications. Does drinking the gallon of milk reduce the amount of food required for weight gain? This is kind of what I'm wishing, but it makes more sense that I would have to eat a maintenance amount of food as well as drinking the milk.

Looking at CFJ 21, it seems that my body type is probably best described as "Small female." Today I only ate about seven blocks and drank the gallon of milk and I'm full, not even making the requirements for that category (what's more, I trained today - shouldn't I be even hungrier than normal?). These are for someone doing the metcons and such, but I'm still active, so I don't know if it would be lessened for SS.

So... about how much should I be eating? The milk was easy enough but the food is killing me.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Re: SS and not eating enough

Hi Derek

I'm doing it too at the moment. Starting strength nutrition for me is basically easting zonish proportions and paleo foods but drinking down the milk on top of it. For me to gain weight (which I have gained half a stone in the last month) I need to eat, eat, eat. I increased my fat blocks and drink 2-3 litres of goats milk a day. I don't really think it's practical to try to keep the zone going strictly when drinking a gallon of milk a day.

I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I don't think my wife could cope with the smell if I had the full gallon! What I would say is in my opinion the food comes before the milk. Get he food in and then top up with the milk as the extra calories - if you do it the other way round i.e. drink the milk then try to eat it would be a lot harder.

Once you have reached your weight and strength goals you can switch back onto zone to cut some of the fat you will have put on during SS and gear your diet more towards metcon performance.

As for your block count - I can't see you putting on much weight on 7 blocks a day, even with the milk...

This is my understanding of it anyway. Maybe other people will disagree...
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post

Looking at CFJ 21, it seems that my body type is probably best described as "Small female." Today I only ate about seven blocks and drank the gallon of milk and I'm full, not even making the requirements for that category (what's more, I trained today - shouldn't I be even hungrier than normal?). These are for someone doing the metcons and such, but I'm still active, so I don't know if it would be lessened for SS.
Hi Derek

As well as progressive weights you need to focus on progressive eating. 7 Blocks is just far too little. You need to gradually up that maybe adding an additional block every 2-3 days. Stick to food that easily digested by you. Is your appetite generally poor. 115 is rather light depending on your age and height?

This may also be a time to add additional carbs. The Zone limits cards to limit insulin response and thus reduce hunger. If you want to add mass you need to eat and thus need to be hungry. maybe a few weeks of increased carb intake?

Heavy training should promote hunger but generally this will not occur until your moving into new poundage territory. If you time your progression in eating and in training correctly you'll be hitting new maxes at the same time your ingesting sufficient calories.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Adam Head

Profile:

Derek,
When I have my guys do SS, I tell them not to worry too much about the Zone honestly. They're told to stick with high quality foods and eat as much as they feel they need. That doesn't mean load up on the fettuccine Alfredo. It means go ahead and eat the steak and the sweet potato, and cook one for lunch tomorrow while you're at it. They're encouraged to eat more mono-unsaturated fats, like on the Zone, but I'm not too concerned with blocks either. As for the gallon of milk thing, I only encourage young guys and hard gainers to do it. Rip even said it's not the best idea for everyone. In your situation, drink it as your beverage of choice and don't worry about it. You are your best metric and if you feel it's too many calories, or not enough, adjust.
Hope that helps, Adam
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
So... about how much should I be eating? The milk was easy enough but the food is killing me.
I second the motion that you don't worry about Zoning too much while on SS. Don't eat junk and get more than your normal protein blocks, but take a break from the food scales and just eat.

I have put on 10 lbs. in the last month doing SS and eating roughly 1.5X my normal calories. This was 9 lbs. of muscle and 1 lb. of fat, indicating to me that I am still not eating enough. I use more calorie dense carbs now like whole wheat bread, because the typical pile of broccoli doesn't fit in my stomach alongside the milk.

I am quite serious in saying that SS is a hard lifting protocol and an even harder recovery protocol. Eating that much food/milk is difficult- I haven't felt hungry for the last month.

Last edited by Neil Bauersfeld : 05-20-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

You're getting around 2600 calories from the milk alone. At your size, I would say that combined with 7 blocks is probably enough to put some size on you. Feel it out for a few weeks, if you aren't gaining weight, just add more food until you are.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Ease into it. If your eating 3 - 4 meals per day and downing a gallon of milk then you should have no problem. Drop the zone and focus on just getting your meals in and make sure you get plenty of fruits, veggies, and lean meats. That matters more than blocks. And seeing how small you are you should respond favorably to the program. I did, went from 5'4" 123lbs to 5'4'' 143lbs.