CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Mike Doehla

Profile:
Handstand walks

How did you guys progress to it? Any rule of thumb about how many HSPU's I need to be able to do to accomplish this or is it more of a technique thing. When I was a kid I could do it for a few steps so maybe it will come back quickly.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Handstand walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
How did you guys progress to it? Any rule of thumb about how many HSPU's I need to be able to do to accomplish this or is it more of a technique thing. When I was a kid I could do it for a few steps so maybe it will come back quickly.
Practice a lot. Throw it in your warm-up every day.

My best advice:
-find your balance point before you take a step each time. I am not saying you have to free stand still before you learn to walk (walking is usually easier for most to learn first) but rather, take that split second to find balance before you start walking.

-active shoulders...keep your arms locked out.

-Practice them against the wall. Kick up to a handstand, walk your hands in until the only thing touching is your shoulder blades - this will take a lot of core stability and control.

-
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Michael Cook

Profile:

HSPU are not a prerequisite to HS walk. You should be able to kick up to a HS and hold a HS solidly against a wall before you try to HS walk. If you push up tall through your shoulders and try to keep more of a straight back, rather than a banana-shaped back it will help.

You don't need to keep your legs straight and together like a gymnast, but you don't want to have your legs flopping around.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
HSPU are not a prerequisite to HS walk. You should be able to kick up to a HS and hold a HS solidly against a wall before you try to HS walk. If you push up tall through your shoulders and try to keep more of a straight back, rather than a banana-shaped back it will help.

You don't need to keep your legs straight and together like a gymnast, but you don't want to have your legs flopping around.
thanks. I can do about 15 hspu's on a good day and have no problem holding myself up. I'll probably try this every day for a bit and see how it goes.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Ben Janetzki

Profile:

I have been mucking around with this stuff for the last week or so and i have been quite surprised how quickly I have "advanced"...not saying i am any good, but i have definitely progressed since i have started doing them each day.

As the others have said it is just practice practice practice...
Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

HSPU have nothing to do with it as has been said.

Like any skill, the more you do it the better you get at it. Roger Harrell once stated it's like when a baby is learning to walk; except you are on your hands.

Generally master a wall HS and get to practicing shoulder taps while in a Handstand against the wall.

You can also play with taking one foot off the wall and bouncing from foot to foot or just where the wall is brushing with your insteps and you come off into a free handstand.

Play with kicking short of handstand just free and not falling on your face.

Kick up against a wall.

Kick and walk. Try not to fall on face. It's a good idea to be able to cartwheel out of it to the side or roll out. Which generally should be learned off the wall first.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
HSPU have nothing to do with it as has been said.

Like any skill, the more you do it the better you get at it. Roger Harrell once stated it's like when a baby is learning to walk; except you are on your hands.

Generally master a wall HS and get to practicing shoulder taps while in a Handstand against the wall.

You can also play with taking one foot off the wall and bouncing from foot to foot or just where the wall is brushing with your insteps and you come off into a free handstand.

Play with kicking short of handstand just free and not falling on your face.

Kick up against a wall.

Kick and walk. Try not to fall on face. It's a good idea to be able to cartwheel out of it to the side or roll out. Which generally should be learned off the wall first.
thanks man
Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Far easier to handstand walk than HSPU. Holding a lockout and pivoting your weight doesn't require nearly as much strength as committing to the flexion.

I've always been a fan of handstand walking, and have used it for years coaching wrestling. Here's how I coach my guys for progression.

Headstands: Three points on the ground, head and both hands. Start against the wall for support. Second phase once headstands are comfortable, open and close legs to the sides, slowly at first, to improve your balance. Once that's comfortable, move away from the wall and repeat.

Wheelbarrow Walks (partner): Builds strength. Start with the partner holding your feet at their waist like a normal wheelbarrow, then have them progressively move your feet higher and higher as your strength improves. Eventually, you'll get to a point where they have your feet on their shoulders, then outstretched in their hands, and you'll be almost straight up.

Handstands: Work on handstands in place. It's just as hard to stay still as it is to walk. Progress to bending your knees and hanging your heels behind your head, spread your legs in and out like in the handstands. Work on stability, and feeling how your center of balance shifts as you move your legs.

Momentum Walks: walk quickly forward then "fall" into your handstand walk. You'll only make it a few steps on your hands before you either fall or get hung up and stop in a handstand, but it's easier than creating your own momentum on your hands.

Finally...

Handstand walks...

A strong core (front and back) is as important as anything for walking on your hands. Your lower back will likely get pretty sore, so don't follow or precede deadlift day with handstand day.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Far easier to handstand walk than HSPU. Holding a lockout and pivoting your weight doesn't require nearly as much strength as committing to the flexion.

I've always been a fan of handstand walking, and have used it for years coaching wrestling. Here's how I coach my guys for progression.

Headstands: Three points on the ground, head and both hands. Start against the wall for support. Second phase once headstands are comfortable, open and close legs to the sides, slowly at first, to improve your balance. Once that's comfortable, move away from the wall and repeat.

Wheelbarrow Walks (partner): Builds strength. Start with the partner holding your feet at their waist like a normal wheelbarrow, then have them progressively move your feet higher and higher as your strength improves. Eventually, you'll get to a point where they have your feet on their shoulders, then outstretched in their hands, and you'll be almost straight up.

Handstands: Work on handstands in place. It's just as hard to stay still as it is to walk. Progress to bending your knees and hanging your heels behind your head, spread your legs in and out like in the handstands. Work on stability, and feeling how your center of balance shifts as you move your legs.

Momentum Walks: walk quickly forward then "fall" into your handstand walk. You'll only make it a few steps on your hands before you either fall or get hung up and stop in a handstand, but it's easier than creating your own momentum on your hands.

Finally...

Handstand walks...

A strong core (front and back) is as important as anything for walking on your hands. Your lower back will likely get pretty sore, so don't follow or precede deadlift day with handstand day.
Thank you. I can stand on my head pretty easily. I'll work on the other parts of it. Hopefully in a few weeks I can post a video of this happening lol.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
John Holcombe

Profile:

Couple questions to throw in...

1) Guys in here who are good at handstand walks... do you ever fall anymore just from lack of balance or can you just walk until your shoulders give out most of the time?

2) When practicing free standing on a hard surface how the heck do I roll out of it safely if I fall? I would practice these a lot if it didn't hurt every time I fell on my back