CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
I know that everybody has their descriptions of the kip. All of them excellent. Search is a wonderful function.

I know that sometimes I need to hear things in a specific way before it clicks in a fundamental way. I thought I would post my description of my recently acquired kipping skills.

Remember the last time you were on a playground swing. (Let's say that you are facing left on the screen) When you swung back, you would strongly bend your knees so that your feet got thrown back to add to the back swing. This is the position when you're in front of the bar. The "(" body alignment. At the top of the backswing you would straight your legs in anticipation of the swing forward. This is the ")" body alightment for the "behind the bar just before the actual pull-up" part.

Now do this hanging from a bar. Just swing back and forth so that you get the rhythm.

Adding the pull-up is where it got tricky for me. I used to pull too early. This would kill my swing. I found that if I told myself to pull at the end of the backswing, I ended up pulling just before the end of the backswing which is where the greatest acceleration happens. At this moment, all of the forces are with you, not against you and the pull-up becomes easy. Touch chest to bar.

Not done though! From here, I also had a tendency to just drop straight back down. (Partially because I thought I had the kip that I forgot to keep going!) At the top of the PU, actively push away from the bar go back into ")" (legs straight, pointed forward).

Just a thought
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Wait, you PUSH yourself back down? How did I miss that?

I need to go do some more pullups...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Every time I read a kipping thread, it makes me want to go do some pull ups.

*sigh*

I am an addict.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I have to disagree with stanley about the playground swing analogy. The pump on a playground swing has more to do with shifting center of gravity to either side of the chain linking you to the swing set than any dynamic motion of your body in the direction of swing. A more effective pump is actually not what kids do. Try this. Instead of bending your legs back under you as you swing back. Keep your legs straight in front of you as you lean forward, then as you swing forward, lean back AND bend your legs back. This causes a greater shift in COG and will build swing more effectively. Kids learn to move their legs in opposition to their body while swinging because it helps balance and requires less pull with the arms to do it that way, but it is less effective.

Kipping works on a different concept because your arms are anchored to the bar and you can use that to generate movement.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Roger is totally correct!

I only put it up the way I did because that was the first thing that came to mind while I was doing them.

Maybe its just my convoluted head but when my mind told me to swing like a playground swing, body mechanics and gravity seemed to get me to do it correctly.

It's just a model that got me in a rhythm. I suppose, for me, it was my mind applying reverse psychology on my body to get it to do what it wanted.

Wow, if I didn't sound crazy before I sure do now!