CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
Oleg Zhoglo

Profile:
do you do anything else to supplement the WOD?

If the warmup and the WOD take less than 30mins do you guys do anything else- like lift weights, etc? Or do you think that the WOD (+warmup) is enough to maintain shape and maybe add some bulk?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Zach Wright

Profile:
Re: do you do anything else to supplement the WOD?

A lot of people do both. Try searching the forum for other posts like this one, there's lots of good info...as for myself I mostly do just the WOD. Sometimes I do other weightlifting too. But the WODs are pretty intense by themselves. If you do something else with them be EXTREMELY careful not to overtrain.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

The standard reply I think I'm supposed to give is: if you're still looking for punishment after a WOD, you're not doing the WOD hard enough.

That said, I do do some things after most WODs (the exceptions being the notoriously hard ones like Murph and Linda). They're usually activities to improve cardiovascular endurance and technique: running a mile, hitting the speed/heavy bags, practicing the handstand, and the occasional olympic lift. I stay away from strength work because I don't know what workout is in store for the next day and I want to be fresh.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Power Naps.

Jay
Old 08-31-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

If the WOD is less then 10 minutes for me, I'll row or run at a nice slow constant speed for 10-20 minutes.

Example: My warm-up takes 10 minutes.

Fran: 4:50, recovery walk for 5 minutes.

Row 15 minutes @4 damper 2:15-2:30 500m pace.

Cool-down stretch 10 minutes.

Thats a 45-min work-out.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I perspire. And breathe, when I remember. Seriously, I've not found my body needs anything else. It's adapting as hard as it can, poor thing.

That said, I'm very much a newbie. I'm noticing that recovery time is much quicker than it was a few months back, and I can foresee a day when I will want to do something more. But something sport or technique related, rather than more strength or conditioning training.

t
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

If you are starting and do not currently do other things for a sport I would suggest the following:

work up to an un-scaled warmup CFWU something like
3x15 pullups
3x15 ring dips
3x15 squats
3x15 back raises
3x Sampson stretches

Work up to doing the WOD unscaled, then do it "hard"

All along you can "supplement" with things you want to improve like olympic lifts, handstand walking, HSPU etc.

Once you are doing CFWU and WOD full speed and recovering well then take stock of what your weak points are and consider supplementing with extra workouts.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
James Reynolds

Profile:

Try to eat as well as possibe.

Try to sleep at least 8hrs a day - having a good bed is WELL worth the $

Sometimes if I'm feeling stiff or sore in the legs (like after the lunge walk of death the other day) i'll take the dog for a long walk or something the day after!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Greetings from Oakland -

Yesterday's CFT was a little light on cardio so I did an easy spin on the stationary and then some sit-ups.

Still can't believe how much those lunges killed me.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #10
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

Some of the WODs are such killers it's hard to imagine doing something after. That said, some folks here do more than one, or add other training after.

FWIW, I use the WODs to supplement my other training, rather than the other way around. I'm a competitive* amateur MMA fighter, so bagging half my grappling or striking class because I'm whacked from a hard WOD isn't a productive way to stay concious in my next fight. So I build my WOD schedule and choices around my training rather than the other way around.

So it really depends on what your goals are. For general fitness and for getting good at crossfit, the WOD should be enough. You can scale it up if it's not enough. For more sports-specific training, you need to consider how the WODs will fit into your other training. I generally don't do WODs that call for deadlifts, for example, because part of my training routine is a weekly heavy deadlift session and I know it'll mess with my recovery - if I could deadlift productively more than once a week, I'd already be doing it, but I know I need more downtime for my back. If I want to work a specific technique, I'll make sure I get that in regularly until I meet my goals, usually by adding it to my general warmup or after a WOD or on an off day.

It's really all about goals. If you don't have a specific one in mind, just go with the WOD. Some of them won't be so hard, some of them will spank you, and you'll get a firm idea of which ones you need to add to. Sometimes the not so hard ones are followed by a killer WOD, though, so if you strictly follow the 3-on-1-off daily schedule, you might want to be careful about overdoing it on days 1 and 2 of the cycle. In my opinion, anyway.

Hope that helps,

Peter

* By which I mean I compete, not that I'm any good. Heh.