CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
A lot of people around me are having babies and I have been noticing eating habits, weight gain with the mum's to be and it started me thinking about when I will be at that stage. The mums I know aren't physical people, not small women either but for the amount of weight they gained compared to the size of the baby, I'm a bit concerned and I am wondering if there is a way to do the zone whilst providing all the nutrition a developing feotus needs to be strong and healthy? I've done some searches but nothing direct to this point. Can anyone help here. Very curious.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
My wife does CF and the Zone and she is pregnant with our 2nd baby.

My understanding is that on average a woman needs 300 extra colories a day.

She plans on doing the WOD as long as she can, of course scaling as appropriate the pregnant she becomes so she is staying on her normal zone blocks to account for her activity level.

Anyway this means she will being consuming an extra : 2.5 zone blocks. Which means 2.5 blocks fat, 2.5 blocks carbohydrates. 2.5 blocks protein.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

A zone block is ~91 kcals. If the 300 kcals a day number is correct then a woman would require about 3.3 extra blocks a day. I think one of the Crossfit wonder woman was pregnant recently, maybe she could chime in.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I would think it's more deep than the sheer # of calories changing. An infant takes a lot out of a mother in being created. The skeleton needs minerals, the brain needs omega 3's... these things are taken from the mother's body and need to be replenished.

My advice would be to go paleo, eat liver once a week, get plenty of omega 3's, green leafy veggies, and meat. Similarly, meet cravings for junk food with healthier alternatives.

If you haven't already, check out the issue of the Performance Menu that dealt with this to some degree.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Sure the calories you take in should be from foods that are healthy -- instead of a bowl of ice cream.

I would think Samantha understands this considering she is on the Zone and a CF'er.

Anyway -- I was wondering about this myself on the exact calories a zone block was to deliver. So if it is 91 then 3.3 blocks it is.

The PF Menu article on this subject I found not to be too helpful. It doesn't address diet.

There was a CF Radio show that talked a bit about CF and pregnancy that you might want to search for.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
My 2 cents, is that the Zone recommendations don't work well for nursing or pregnant mothers. They are too low, especially during the first trimester while the placenta is being built (I've heard that effort equated to rock climbing an extremely difficult mountain).

My wife didn't do CF while pregnant, but our research and all the midwives we talked to recommend the Brewer Diet while pregnant

Link to a slide show detailing The Brewer Diet, work and family friendly.

http://nutrition.birthingnaturally.net/brewerslideshow/brewerdiet_files/frame.ht m

Link to a spreadsheet for keeping track of your diet while on the Brewer Diet. Work and family friendly.

http://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx