CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
Luke Hale

Profile:
Please critique my FitDay results

M, 28, 200#,5'10"

I am on a linear strength program (Rapid Ascent), with 3 1hr workouts a week

Goals are to gain strength and lose fat.

I've put together a typical day's intake on Fitday and it seems I'm getting about 3500cals - more than I thought!

I am trying to make sure I get enough protein and cals to be able to add weight and or reps each workout, hence I've added more milk (included in the fitday log). I've failed on a couple of recent workouts and I can only put it down to not enough food. I am sleeping more than I have in ages (at least 7 hours, trying to get 8.)

I am adding weight to the lifts most workouts (2.5kg - 5kg), except the press which is stalled at 50kg but I am adding reps each time.

One thing I haven't included in the Fitday log is a post workout snack. I was having nothing until 1 hour later (evening meal), but thinking about adding a chocolate milk immediately after. I tried this on Monday and I liked it, but as I'm already getting a lot of cals, maybe I should ditch it?

Please have a look at my link (WFS) and let me know if there's anything glaringly obvious that I should be changing.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...l?Owner=luuuke

I try to eat each meal in zone-ish proportions, and have never had any problems with milk, bread or oatmeal.

As always your help and advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Luke

Edit: Oh and I also drink at least 4L water a day

Last edited by Luke Hale : 10-07-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: Please critique my FitDay results

Your goals are conflicting - you say you want to gain strength (so added milk and are eating 3500 kcal)

however you also say you want to lose bodyfat, which probably won't happen when you are eating extra for strength gaining...

So pick a goal. Get strong now and forget about your body fat - when you reach a certain level where you feel like you are 'too fat' then cut your calories and whatnot.

There is a possibility that you could get stronger while eating less too. I mean, it's hard to gain muscle while eating in negative energy balance, but gaining strength in the weight room is possible. When you diet to lose body fat, this doesn't necessarily mean you are automatically going to become weaker. If you train smart and get your protein, you could maintain your strength while cutting body fat.

I'd forget the idea of drinking milk, putting 50# on your squat AND becoming ripped all at the same time however... you will only set yourself up for dissappointment.

Oh and the food is not bad, you could use more veggies though.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

3500 cals might be only marginally over the break even point for a 200# guy. It depends on how active your life is. The best way to know if you are eating enough is to check two things: 1) is your strength advacing? 2) Are you gaining body weight? if you answered no to either one of these add 1000 cals. rinse and repeat until you are strong enough.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Yes I would consider 3500 to be probably your maintenance calorie level, at your size & age. Maybe slightly over, if you are quite inactive outside of the gym.

As moran says you will know if you are not putting weight on the bar and/or the scale, you are not eating enough. Though I'd advise adding less than 1000 a pop for increases, simply because you are not that skinny at your height and weight. Slow gains would likely be best.

Just my 2c though!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Luke Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Your goals are conflicting - you say you want to gain strength (so added milk and are eating 3500 kcal)

however you also say you want to lose bodyfat, which probably won't happen when you are eating extra for strength gaining...

So pick a goal. Get strong now and forget about your body fat - when you reach a certain level where you feel like you are 'too fat' then cut your calories and whatnot.

There is a possibility that you could get stronger while eating less too. I mean, it's hard to gain muscle while eating in negative energy balance, but gaining strength in the weight room is possible. When you diet to lose body fat, this doesn't necessarily mean you are automatically going to become weaker. If you train smart and get your protein, you could maintain your strength while cutting body fat.

I'd forget the idea of drinking milk, putting 50# on your squat AND becoming ripped all at the same time however... you will only set yourself up for dissappointment.

Oh and the food is not bad, you could use more veggies though.
Thanks everyone,

I should've been clearer in my first post. main goal is to gain strength, to be able to go back to the wods in a while and be able to hit them harder etc. It seems though that I am losing fat slowly at the moment, and gaining strength and some lean mass.

I don't want to be huge. I'm not doing SS and gomad, I'm doing the Dan John Rapid Ascent to gain a good baseline strength. Dan's also said it has been a successful fat loss program - I guess thats all down to diet!

I should've linked to my training log too. I am adding weight to the bar most workouts. I have failed to sometimes, I think I'm trying to add too much in these instances.

(WFS) http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51252

I'm drinking the milk for the cheap, easy protein (easy to have at work etc)

Would I be better/worse off having one or two protein shakes a day instead? I've never bothered before but have started thinking about it.

I find it too hard/expensive to buy, prep and store more meat etc.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

If whey shakes are what you need to get your protein, then go for it. It's not paleo and it's not "whole foods", but as I see it keeping your diet squeeky clean and gaining muscle mass are very hard to do together. It can be done but it is harder. IMHO, give up a little in the paleo department (Mlik&whey) while you are trying to grow and then clean it up when maintaing or trying to loss fat.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Luke Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran Bentzur View Post
If whey shakes are what you need to get your protein, then go for it. It's not paleo and it's not "whole foods", but as I see it keeping your diet squeeky clean and gaining muscle mass are very hard to do together. It can be done but it is harder. IMHO, give up a little in the paleo department (Mlik&whey) while you are trying to grow and then clean it up when maintaing or trying to loss fat.
I'm not really bothered at all about the paleo thing to be honest!

I've never had a problem eating grains or milk etc and see no reason to stop.

I have have been more whole foods than ever before though, and have ditched all sodas, juices, sweets etc. ie all junk (apart from occasional cheat meals!)

I think I may look to trying some protein shakes instead of some of the milk - more protein, less sugar, less calories
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Focus on pre/peri/post workout nutrition, try to get a lot of protein and carbs from -40m to +5m.

Then eat light for the rest of the day.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Luke Hale

Profile:

Well, failed today's workout! Tried to add weight but just failed. Had to drop weight just to finish!

Dissapointing and confusing considering the extra sleep and food.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

it takes time my friend. Keep at it 3 weeks to a month then re-evaluate.