CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Carl Raiden Worley

Profile:
Hi!

Hi everyone, my name is Raiden and I'm new to Crossfit. This seems like a very excellent program and I'm quite excited to try it. However, before I start I'd like to address a few issues:

1. I'm 15, will my young age negatively affect my performance?

2. I run cross-country at my school. We don't run any marathons or anything (most of our races are 5K), but will doing this with Crossfit be a bad idea? Our coach makes us run about 6 miles every day.

3. I have almost no equipment and there's almost no chance of me joining an affiliated gym.

4. I've studied up on the paleo diet. It seems quite logical and makes perfect sense. I've been vegetarian for quite a while now, but I'm willing to give that up to improve my performance. The only problem is my difficulty in finding appropriate food. As a vegetarian I had no difficulty finding organic fruits and vegetables. They have a whole section of them in our local grocery store. Also I live in a a rural area and our farmer's market sells local fruits and vegetables. Yet I can't find good meat anywhere! Even if I did find a good source of meat, we might not be able to afford the amount I'd need to sustain a paleo diet. So my question here is: Is it better to be a vegetarian and eat all organic food, or is it better to follow the paleo diet and eat factory-farmed meat?

Sorry if these have been answered before, but I couldn't find any thread covering these.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Charles Talbert

Profile:
Re: Hi!

4. EAT MEAT! and if you are worried about the industrial meat get lean cuts and take a fish oil supplement. Being a vegetarian long term just isn't sustainable. Check out this article by Psychology Today: Why Do Most Vegetarians Go Back To Eating Meat? (WFS)