CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Rodger Core

Profile:
Anyone believe Herschel Walker's claim of only doing Bodyweight Exercises?

I have looked at this man for over a year now and am astonished that at 50 he can look and be as strong as he is. He looks like he's still in his 30s. Fr anyone who knows what he claims is his workout...do any of you actually believe it? It sounds too good to be true that all them bodyweight reps everyday could jack you up like that. Then again I saw a man on Youtube that was absolutely jacked off of bodyweight exercises http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhE4dIEcyY4

So Idk. I'm about to embark on Crossfit football so it's not like I'm going to try this but it seems really interesting if someone could get like w/o lifting.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Anyone believe Herschel Walker's claim of only doing Bodyweight Exercises?

P90X uses mostly body weight exercises and it works, so why wouldn't it work for him.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Core View Post
I have looked at this man for over a year now and am astonished that at 50 he can look and be as strong as he is. He looks like he's still in his 30s. Fr anyone who knows what he claims is his workout...do any of you actually believe it? It sounds too good to be true that all them bodyweight reps everyday could jack you up like that. Then again I saw a man on Youtube that was absolutely jacked off of bodyweight exercises http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhE4dIEcyY4

So Idk. I'm about to embark on Crossfit football so it's not like I'm going to try this but it seems really interesting if someone could get like w/o lifting.
Iv seen those vids before, or some similar. It seems to be taking off around the world at the mo. Alot of people getting pretty big and strong on mainly gymnastics type movements.

Richard
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Rodger Core

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Iv seen those vids before, or some similar. It seems to be taking off around the world at the mo. Alot of people getting pretty big and strong on mainly gymnastics type movements.

Richard
for real a lot of people really are. There are kids weighing around 140 in my school all they do is push ups and sprints and when they do touch weights they only max and one kid can bench 240 and squat over 315 no lie he doesn't eat a lot which is why he's not big he's 140 lbs but i reckon if he did eat a lot he'd be lookin like a juice head.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Rodger Core

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post

Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
P90X uses mostly body weight exercises and it works, so why wouldn't it work for him.
very true. A lot of people think you can't get big off p90x. I seen some transformations where people gained a great deal of lean mass. I'm just saying Herschel is a gigantic freak of nature weighing 225 lbs and can run anybody over lol
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

genetics plays a role as well. When he was at georgia in the early 80's he was a beast. He has also been doing body weight stuff in crazy amounts since he was a teenager.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
for real a lot of people really are. There are kids weighing around 140 in my school all they do is push ups and sprints and when they do touch weights they only max and one kid can bench 240 and squat over 315 no lie he doesn't eat a lot which is why he's not big he's 140 lbs but i reckon if he did eat a lot he'd be lookin like a juice head.
He's obviously the exception. Not too many people can squat 315lbs without squatting heavy on a pretty frequent basis. Similar to Bo Jackson, who was possibly the greatest athlete of the last 50 years and apparently never touched a weight in his career. That doesn't mean his approach would be ideal for people without his genetic gifts.

My guess is the portion of the population that can squat 315 without regular strength training is about .01% of the portion of the strength training population who can squat 315, so the obvious conclusion is that if you want to squat 315 you're a lot more likely to get there by squatting heavy than by doing sprints and pushups.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:

well he is the exception, not the rule. he has been an elite athlete his entire life. he was born with genetics at the very top end of the spectrum. from college and pro football, to sprinting, to olympic bobsled, now to MMA. i remember seeing an article on him when he was still playing football and he used to run miles and miles first thing every morning and then countless numbers of pushups and situps. he has always been into martial arts too. if you go back and look at him when he was still at GA, he was pretty amazing then. so don't think that this workout is what made him look this way. he has always been an amazing athlete with superior genetic gifts, he has had the opportunity to train and be coached at the highest levels in numerous disciplines, and he has kept himself in shape his whole life. what you see now is the result of a lifetime of work
Old 01-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Anyone believe Herschel Walker's claim of only doing Bodyweight Exercises?
Yes. Friends of mine who were on the Gymnastics team where built; they never lifted weights. All they did was their Gymnastics routines daily.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

With high rep endurance exercises -- sure, if you have superior genetics.

With bodyweight strength training via gymnastics type work or other work sure.

I've written articles and a book on that.