CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Robert Sanchez

Profile:
Improving MetCon

Hello everyone, just recently signed up here as another method of getting tips and suggestions. Just a little info on myself, im 25 years old 220lbs, started Crossfit in Feb. of this year and its changed my life significantly since i was weighing 275lbs at the time. My strength and fitness has improved of course but i would really like to bring up my metcon because i feel like i die out too quickly when i WOD.

I know it could be a whole lot of different factors that can be coming into play. Nutrition, Lack of sleep, etc. and im working on all of those factors but i wanted to ask what could i do other then daily wod's that will significantly boost my endurance and conditioning other then just running. Thank you for your time.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Spencer James

Profile:
Re: Improving MetCon

How tall are you? What I'm really asking is, are you an athletic 220 pounds or are you looking to lose some more weight as well?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Robert Sanchez

Profile:

I am still not at the target weight that i wanna be at. I wanna lose more weight and lean out. Im about 5'10"-5'11" so im still a bit over weight for my height i beleive. I know running more would be the logical way to improve my metcon but i was wondering if their were other alternatives.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Actually improving your strength will improve your Metcons. Increasing your run, will help your run, for the most part. If you think about it, as you get stronger, lifting those weights will get easier.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Robert Sanchez

Profile:

Very true, i just wanna know if theres anything extra i can do to increase my endurance throughout wod's
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Do some HIIT training on the treadmill. Anything like 1 minute max sprint/1 minute slow run. Do that for about 14 minutes. You can change it up to 30 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, etc. if you get tired of doing that, then do some cardio based Metcons. Metcons with sprints, rows, burpees, bodyweight exercises, slam balls, kettlebells, double unders, box jumps, etc. if you have access to a heavy bag, you can incorporate that in also.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

How many WODs are you doing per week? In other words, how often are you attending your affiliate?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Brad Gutting

Profile:

You're already doing HIIT with the WODs, so, doing more intervals on a treadmill, bike, or C2 won't get you anywhere at this point.

If you want to last longer in your WODs, then you need to be able to produce more energy aerobically. Your aerobic system, while not as inherently powerful as your PCr or glycolytic systems, is more efficient and can produce & expend energy for a longer duration. While hard, short interval type workouts has an effect on it, it does not have a permanent, ever-lasting effect on it so you'll need to do things like 30-45min runs 3-4x per week. Doesn't have to be running, you can swim, row, or bike, too. But it should last for at least 30 minutes and your heart rate should be around 150 to maybe 170 at the very highest. In the endurance world, or even for 800m runners, you'll find a prevailing attitude that's basically, "train slower to go faster sometimes." It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works for everyone. You'll find that many of the top CF Games competitors get in a few longer runs each week, for instance.

There's a lot of detail as to why this works, and if you'd like to get into it I can give a rough overview here or you can look a few things up; wasn't sure if you care about that, or just wanted an idea of what action you should take.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gutting View Post
You're already doing HIIT with the WODs, so, doing more intervals on a treadmill, bike, or C2 won't get you anywhere at this point.

If you want to last longer in your WODs, then you need to be able to produce more energy aerobically. Your aerobic system, while not as inherently powerful as your PCr or glycolytic systems, is more efficient and can produce & expend energy for a longer duration. While hard, short interval type workouts has an effect on it, it does not have a permanent, ever-lasting effect on it so you'll need to do things like 30-45min runs 3-4x per week. Doesn't have to be running, you can swim, row, or bike, too. But it should last for at least 30 minutes and your heart rate should be around 150 to maybe 170 at the very highest. In the endurance world, or even for 800m runners, you'll find a prevailing attitude that's basically, "train slower to go faster sometimes." It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works for everyone. You'll find that many of the top CF Games competitors get in a few longer runs each week, for instance.

There's a lot of detail as to why this works, and if you'd like to get into it I can give a rough overview here or you can look a few things up; wasn't sure if you care about that, or just wanted an idea of what action you should take.
Brad, like the OP, I too have been trying to improve my met-con/endurance. I'd love to know some more details about "train slower to go faster". The max 150-170 heart rate - is that for the whole duration of the 30 min run?

I do 2-3 strength workouts a week, and 1-2 met-cons (1 short, 1 long). Sorry to highjack this thread, but I hope your response will help the OP as well as me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
Spencer James

Profile:

You can get very technical about these issues, but I would guess that you will get the most bang for your buck by focusing on dropping body fat. Don't do it at the expense of becoming much weaker, but it's worth the effort if metcon times are your goal. Try to do a metcon with a 20 pound vest on and see how much harder it becomes and how quickly you're blowing up. Take off the vest and it becomes much easier.

By the way, awesome work and props on your progress already. Much respect for going from 275 to 220... a lot of people couldn't do that. Just imagine how much faster you can still get .