CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Blindfold

Reading through a Gym Jones article, I found that they had some actors for the 300 movie do blindfolded deadlifts:

Quote:
Did it work? It worked for those who did the work, who paid attention, and who controlled what they put in their mouths. We reinforced those who started with their own self-discipline but we could not give discipline to anyone who didn't already have it. In the end Vincent Regan shed 40 pounds in eight weeks, and took his deadlift from less than bodyweight (205) to more than double-bodyweight (355). He could pull 85% of 1RM blindfolded and recite Shakespeare in the midst of the toughest training session. Andrew Pleavin trained with us for just five weeks. He increased his maximum number of pull-ups from 6 to 23, rowed 500m in 1:25.6 and 5000m in 18:12, and he finished "300" in 18:11. Some of the stunt crew experienced similar changes, and their work capacity was - in most cases - higher. Even the ones who were relatively fit when they showed up increased their overall fitness by having weaknesses exposed and prodded.
Is it harder? What does it improve? (If anything)
Old 07-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Blindfold

It's just something harder, similar to training on a balance board. It won't improve your proprioception or anything much, I think they just did it as an interesting challenge.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I have playd with it on a few different lifts. It teaches you where your body is on the lift. You feel your muscles and body placement more. With out your eyes to focus you outward you focus inward. At least that is what I found out when I did it.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Did they do it so that the lifter didn't know what was on the bar? When we get near 1RM's, sometimes the brain is the biggest barrier and not knowing what exactly is on the bar will sometimes surprise people. I can remember a few times, I miscalculated the bar and hit the same rep goal without a problem despite it being heavier, yet feeling the same as my expectation.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Did they do it so that the lifter didn't know what was on the bar? When we get near 1RM's, sometimes the brain is the biggest barrier and not knowing what exactly is on the bar will sometimes surprise people. I can remember a few times, I miscalculated the bar and hit the same rep goal without a problem despite it being heavier, yet feeling the same as my expectation.
That's why I don't tell newbies (women in particular) how much weight is on the bar when I have them deadlift the first time. I keep an eye on bar speed and posture and never push them too far, but they are ALWAYS shocked at how much they were able to lift in the end.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Adam Carlson

Profile:

I did the same thing for my wife the first time she deadlifted. Didn't tell her I had 135# on the bar, and she pulled it for reps without any problem. I know 135# isn't anything super great, but for someone who hasn't been training in a long time, I was excited for her.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Reading through a Gym Jones article, I found that they had some actors for the 300 movie do blindfolded deadlifts:

Is it harder? What does it improve? (If anything)
I've played around with the technique in martial arts. Something as simple as stepping forward and punching, then kicking, etc., becomes incredibly difficult. Could one's eyes get covered / blinded in a fight? Sure.

Justin
Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
That's why I don't tell newbies (women in particular) how much weight is on the bar when I have them deadlift the first time. I keep an eye on bar speed and posture and never push them too far, but they are ALWAYS shocked at how much they were able to lift in the end.
this.

when newbies first come in and see all the plates -- especially women, and older women even more so -- they kind of freak out. they're like, "there's no way i can lift anything NEAR that!"

so we start out with little plates and focus on technique... i add a little weight at a time, as they gain confidence, but i don't talk about the weight and keep talking about the technique... until they start to hit their limits, and we stop... and i reveal that they've lifted X amount, which is almost always about 3 times what they think they can do.