CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 AM   #981
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Tuesday morning, both showing signs of soreness in the legs today. We both slept well but woke up 30min early which means we will be tired tonight.

Plan - back to basics, shake the rust off

Warm up
4min on the AAB nice and easy

Pipe and band work to get the upper body going
Warm up legs and make sure we have full mobility.

a good 25min today

Back to basics
We have not snatched, C&J the past 2 months (pre and post knee surgery) and now it is time to test them. We both know that we are going to be rusty on these and the goal was to get back into it. The weight was not important, take it as far as we liked but the lifts must be good. It takes the same amount of brain and muscle power to complete a bad lift as it does a good lift, so why waste it. Quality all the way today.

1 clock
10 min - Drop Snatch (Snatch Balance)
15 min - Snatch
15 min - C & Jerk
15 min - Deadlift

We never kept count of the reps, this was all by feel but we completed multiple reps on the final weights.

Wife took weights to:
Drop Snatch - 12.5kgs/27.5lbs
Snatch - 15kgs/33lbs
C&J - 35kgs/77lbs
Deadlift - 85kgs/187lbs

I took weights to:
Drop Snatch - 50kgs/110lbs
Snatch - 55kgs/122lbs
C&J - 75kgs/165lbs
Deadlift - 160kgs/352lbs

The reason for the the drop snatch is a dynamic snatch receiving position exercise that adds more demand on technique, precision and speed. The drop snatch is a good choice of exercise to develop speed and aggression in the final part of the snatch turnover, to develop precision in bar and foot placement and posture in the snatch turnover, and to develop strength and confidence in the receiving position of the snatch. This was the perfect exercise before progressing into the snatch and also a confidence builder. After 10min we both felt great and the speed and stability was there.

Snatch went well from the start. It shows we have been away from it for a while but after 5min or so and the lighter weight things really picked up. The drive and speed under the bar was there, but most important we received the bar in the hole and was so stable. All that technique work really pays off and shows itself at these times.

From the snatch into the C&J was very simple, the body had the speed from the snatch which made it simple to get things going. Speed under the bar and so explosive in the jerk.

Deadlift was basically added for a bit of fun at the end but in the back of my mind also driving from the heels. The hammies started to feel it when the weight went up which also confirms that yesterdays workout did it's thing.

We were both pleased with how things went and very pleased with the weights. The most important thing to come from today was that i felt nothing in my knee at any time, this means that it's full speed ahead now. I have checked everything with my knee so now i can do everything but i am still going to be smart before the really heavy weights come again.

Cool down
clean up and stretch for 20min
Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #982
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning and we are both feeling sore from yesterday in a good way. We are both very positive from yesterday and looking forward to today.

Plan - 40 min EMOM

Warm up
A couple of minutes on the rower just to get the blood flowing

Set up warm up with everything to come and stretch and work on mobility in between. All in all 30min i would say.

40 min EMOM
it was the wife's idea to do this and she chose the movements (we swapped a couple for a better flow)

Min - 1-5 = 200/150m Row
Min - 6-10 = 2x20m KB Farmers walk front rack 12/20kgs (26/44lbs)
Min - 11-15 = 5 x Medball ground to over shoulder 23/40kgs (50/88lbs)
Min - 16-20 = 5 x Strict pull ups
Min - 21-25 = 20 x Walking lunges
Min - 26-30 = 5 x Burpees
Min - 31-35 = 10 x AB mat situps
Min - 36-40 = 2 x Wall climbers

This did not seem to be a lot on paper but it got harder as we moved on. The heart rate got up and kept there most of the time. It shows we have not done any long wods for a while and now that i can use my legs i have lost some conditioning. Every rep done correctly, no *No Reps* here.

I must say that we both really enjoyed it.

Cool down
clean up and stretch for 25min, oh and sweat a lot

Last edited by Alex Burden : 05-29-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 AM   #983
Alex Burden

Profile:

Took the last 4 days off but did loads of work at home.

Monday morning - nothing what so ever to complain about.

Plan - Wife wanted to do some back work

Warm up
60 cals on the rower..

very light stretch

Plan
8 x 8 reps - Back extensions (hyperextensions)
8 x 8 reps - DB row laying on raised bench (wife - 8kg, 9, 5@10, 12kgs/26lb DBs, myself - all 8 rounds @ 20kgs/44lbs)
10 x 3 reps - Strict pull ups/chins (wife assisted)

Felt quite good after all of that, extensions blew the lower back up which was expected. Pull ups/chins felt very easy for both of us today.

My plan
10 rounds AAB - for time
Wife - 5 cals, myself 10 cals

Using 1 bike, reset and adjust seat and then basically go go go. I would estimate 1 min rest between our rounds.

Wife: 5 cals
0:22
0:19
0:19
0:16
0:17
0:16
0:15 seconds

Average 17.5 seconds

Myself: 10 cals
0:25
0:23
0:24
0:22
0:20
0:14

Average 22 seconds

First round was just a get into it round. Looking at the speed for the next 7 rounds i would say we were between 85-90% of our max, round 9 pushed it almost to the limit with the final rounds being a full on get ready to puke round . We tried to keep the rounds as even as possible throughout without blowing out but still hard enough to cause disscomfort after each round.

Cool down
rest, and then stretch and sweat for 20min.

No workout tomorrow - my oldest boy graduates from University, back Wednesday
Old 06-05-2019, 01:01 AM   #984
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning and we are both tired, a lot of traveling yesterday.

Plan - Partner

Warm up
pipe and band work

3 min on the AAB

Warm up and prepare for what was to come

All in a good 30min i would say.

Partner
Keep rower moving, alternate after every completed round of AMRAP

40 min Row for distance

@ the same time complete

AMRAP
1 x Barbell complex 20/43kgs (44/95lbs)
12 x Sit ups
1 x Barbell complex
12 x Box pistols from 24"
6 x Burpees

The barbell complex consisted of:
1 - C&J (split jerk)
1 - Power clean
1 - Push jerk
1 - Squat clean
1 - Front squat
1 - Thruster

Results:
Row - 8127m (451 calories)
Completed 13 rounds + 33 reps

So the row was not a problem, we kept that moving, a bit slower than usual but that was expected as the AMRAP took it's toll.
We had no idea how long the AMRAP would actually take per round so the first couple of rounds were used to work that out, around 3min to start with and then around 2.40. We would both take a short rest directly after our round for 10-15 seconds to wipe the sweat off and jump on the rower. After the C&J we both dropped the bar but the remaining reps were TnGo.

It was not that hard but it over 40min takes it's toll and boy was it humid today... sweating like pigs but we really enjoyed it.

Cool down
Clean up, sweat sweat sweat and stretch for 20min
Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 AM   #985
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and we are back , Thursday last week was a national holiday and we took Friday off as well but we are back today.

Plan - we will see how tough this is or not

Warm up
Extensive band/pipe work on the shoulders

Set up and warm up for what was to come. I would say by the time we were ready it was a good 35min.

Plan

For time
1000/750m Ski-erg
1 - Deadlift, 1 C&J, 1 Power snatch 22/50kgs (48/110lbs)

800/6000m Ski-erg
2 - Deadlift, 2 C&J, 2 Power snatch

600/450m Ski-erg
3 - Deadlift, 3 C&J, 3 Power snatch

400/300m Ski-erg
4 - Deadlift, 4 C&J, 4 Power snatch

200/150m Ski-erg
5 - Deadlift, 5 C&J, 5 Power snatch

Results:
Wife - 21:22
Myself - 20:23

This was a good test and we really got a sweat on. I know that the wife is a little faster than me on the Ski 1000 vs 750m so i had to make sure i pushed it a little that first round, so i kept an even 2.16/500m quite easy. I finished the Ski before the wife and i completed the first round of the barbell quite fast. I got back on the Ski and before she was back on the ski i had 100m on the clock which i knew was enough to keep me ahead. Basically once the Ski was done it was strait to the bar and complete the DL unbroken, quick singles on the C&J and snatch. I then kept to 2.15-2.20/500m the rest of the time and kept the same rep scheme throughout.

The wife was quick on her DL and C&J as they are so light but on the snatch she took her time and lost a few seconds on me as her set-up each time was longer. She told me afterwards that she was hoping to catch me on round 4 and 5 but based on the meters i had already completed on the ski i knew that would not happen.

I took 50kgs today and i am going to start to use this weight more often rather than 43kgs/95lbs in the future. I think this will be good for building my baseline.

So for once i beat her , and we both enjoyed it.

Cool down
clean up our mess, wipe off the ski-erg and stretch for 25min

good start to the week, no gym tomorrow as i have a golf competition to play with friends.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 06-10-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #986
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning, both quite tired but feeling quite good, no aches or pains.

Plan - long row

Warm up
pipe and band work for upper body

set up and warm up for what was to come

all in all 30min i would say.

Row - 45min for Calories

@ the same time

E3MOM (3 rounds)

0-3min - 15 Box step ups 20/24"
3-6min - 5 DB Devil presses 10/22kgs (22/50lbs)
6-9min - 50/100 Du/Su's
9-12min - 15 sit ups
12-15min - 10 DB deadlifts 10/22kgs (22/50lbs)

So today was one of those days where things started off wrong and then continued before we got underway.
1st - thing... we couldn't find the heavy medballs anywhere in the gym!!! and then we found out that one of the PT's owned them and took them home for the summer. Why the hell doesn't the gym have their own?

2nd thing... i set up the trifecta timer for 3 rounds of 5 x 3min with no rest. For some reason the damn thing added 1min rest between the rounds so we had to stop and reset the clock again. So i had to swap the medball for something... so bollocks it becale situps.

3rd thing... reset clock for 5x3min and then i noticed i forget to set it for 3 rounds.... stopped again...

4th time lucky 13 rounds x 3min, no rest.

So we completed 2 x 3min during the Fck up but i think we missed some calories because we forget to keep record of 2nd Fck up, we noted the first mess up and added it to the total.

So after all that, the results:

Wife - 351 calories (6559m)
Myself - 382 calories (7570m)

Cool Down
Clean up, sweat and stretch for 20min

Last edited by Alex Burden : 06-12-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #987
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning, quite tired this morning but we both slept really well.

Plan - 1 RM day

Warm up
4 min on the AAB just to get the blood flowing

Warm up for what was to come, mostly for the legs to start with.

25min i would say. During this time i also gave the wife a plan so that she took larger steps to start and smaller ones towards the end. No wasting energy on light weights and just the bar.

1 RM Max (75min total time)
We have not done any 1 RM work since April 8 and this is the first time post knee surgery. Time to test it all again.

Squat

Wife: 25, 30, 38, 43, 48, 51, 55, 58kgs/128lbs (92% of 1 RM)
Myself: 60, 80, 100, 110, 120, 125, 130kgs/286lbs (93% of 1 RM)

A good start to the morning, wife was solid today and her technique was good, her depth was better than last time, she was exactly parallel. I felt great, 130 was heavy but i never got stuck, smooth up.

Bench press

Wife: 25, 30, 35, 40, 45kgs/99lbs Equal PR (100% of 1 RM)
Myself: 40, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100kgs/220lbs (95% of 1 RM)

Fantastic for the wife this morning, 45kgs was solid, and she attempted 47 but it was all in her head, she'll make it next time. I was pleased with 100kgs, i could have tried 103/105kgs but i was taking no chanses.

Strict shoulder press

Wife: 25, 29/69lbs (80% of 1 RM)
Myself: 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 73, 76kgs/167lbs (1kg/2lbs PR)

Wife was not feeling it today, grip and techinque was off, 29 was solid but she tried 33kgs but it was not happening. I was having a great day, solid, felt really good all the way through. Pleased with 76kgs, it was just on the limit. I might have been able to push it another kg or so but i was not going to fail today.

Deadlift

Wife: 65, 75, 85, 91, 96 PR, 98 PR, 100kgs/220lbs PR (5kg/11lbs PR)
Myself: 80, 100, 120, 140, 160kgs/352lbs (89% of 1 RM)

Wife was on fire today, she followed the plan with the weights and i watched her 96kg pull and she was fast. I told her that when you are on a role, keep it going... 98kgs, solid lift great technique... she was jumping around after that, so happy... her goal has been to deadlift 100kgs by the end of the year, so i told her now is the time, your technique is solid today, you didn't struggle on 96 + 98 they were fast. She set up the bar, took a short break and went for it. Yeeeeeessssss she screamed at the top and started jumping around... Good for her today.
As for myself, 140 was easy and 160 felt a lot heavier, a no go at 170kgs, still not a bad result.

Cool down
clean up a lot of plates and bars.
Stretch for 20min afterwards.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:30 AM   #988
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning - feels as if this has been a long week this week. Both tired but happy.

Plan - rotorcuff accessory work and opposites

Warm up and first part of today

So basically i intergrated our warm up within the actual rotor cuff workout.

We concentrated on using bands and .5, 1kg, 2kg plates. No real plan, i went with the flow and the muscle contact we had after each movement.

Resistance band work was all high reps. 15 reps on each side with full control. 4 sets on each of the below:

Shoulder External Rotation with Anchored Resistance
Shoulder Internal Rotation with Anchored Resistance

We then proceeded to use plates and we did 3 or 4 different movements with 16 sets of 6 reps.

All in all this took 40min i would say.

Opposites
So the final part of today was made up on the spare of the moment. We had about 25min before we had to be done so we needed to get the heartrate up a little but short and sweet. Plus we could race a little
The 2 movements were good because they were the opposite each other, pull down, pull up.

8 rounds of: 45 seconds on/30 seconds off
45 seconds = 15 kettlebell swings (American) 12/20kgs (26/44lbs)
45 seconds = Ski-erg - for meters

Results:
Wife:
133m
136m
128m
136m
137m
138m
142m
154m
Total = 1104m

Myself:
184m
188m
183m
181m
177m
184m
182m
212m
Total = 1491m

Both pleased with the results and i would say it was a draw. The wife was more or less exactly 75% of my distance which was really good. 45 seconds is just enough time to go 90%, last ski was 100%. KB's were there just to mess with everything else, they only took around 30-32 seconds which meant we would get 12-15 extra seconds rest before the ski.

Cool down
stretch for 20min

nice end to the week, back Monday
Old 06-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #989
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and a little tired. No wife today.

Plan - a long repeat

Warm up
4 min on the AAB nice and easy, speed around 55 RPM just to get the blood flowing.
Pipe work to loosen up the shoulders
Set up and warm up with all of the movments to come.

All in all 30min i would say

Repeat
This workout i did 2 years ago and i think i also did it around a year ago but i could not find the time for it. The first time i did this WOD it too 39:22.

Chipper
100 cal Row
80 Power cleans 40kgs/88lbs
60 T2B
40 Box Step Ups 24"
20 Thrusters 30kgs/66lbs

Result : 34:26 (4:56 quicker than the first time)

I was very please with the time, it was long and hard. Row was easy as i kept at around 15 cals/min, singles on the power cleans and tried to keep to 10/min with a short between. T2B have always been hard for me and today was the first real time i have tried them since hurting my hip during the open, sets of 5's and then singles, they were tough. Box step ups 2 x 20 with shourt break between. Lower barbell from 40 to 30kgs then 2 x 10 reps, took just a little took long break between the sets otherwise i would have broken the 5min improvement time.

Very pleased with today, it was humid and hard work.

Cool down
Catch my breath and rest for a couple of minutes on my back
A lot of sweating and clean up my crap.

light stretch for 15 min i would say

Not a bad start to the week.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #990
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and the wife is back. I am a little sore from yesterday and i have 2 tears on my hands that i need to take into account for today.

Plan - make it up as we go along

Warm up
4 min on the rower
pipe and band work for shoulder mobility

warm up with the first part we came up with

Plan
So last night i wrote down 6 different movements in my IPAD, once we got to the gym we would pair them up or do them individual. The rep count we came up with as thiings progressed.

Part 1
DB Goblet squats - 12, 9, 6 reps 12/22kgs (26/50lbs)
KB 1 Arm OH farmers walk - 6, 4, 2 lengths (20m) 14/24kgs (31/53lbs)

This got the heart rate up. No rush but a good flow between movments was key. They complement each other quite well as you need to keep your core tight.

Part 2
Burpees - 15, 12, 9
Box pistols - 16, 12, 8 20"

Enjoyed this one.

Part 3
AAB UgoIgo 18, 15, 12 cals

Oh that one hurt... pushed harder and harder each time

Part 4
Split jerks unbroken - 6, 4, 2 25/50kgs (55/110lbs)

Not that many reps but focus was on being fast under the barbell.

Cool Down
Stretch for 20min