CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Kyle Feliberty

Profile:
Clean help

Thanks in advance guys and girls. 275# is pretty close to my PR. I notice my hips firing up way to quick and my lack of triple extension. I feel like I'm slow getting under the bar so I try to rush it. Any tips or any other things are greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXkETp4ltNg (maybe WFS, i think a friend drops an "s" bomb early)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Nicholas Halter

Profile:
Re: Clean help

Definitely missed your full hip extension. Don't pull with your arms. I think working on your hip extension will help correct your arm pull.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Jason Denny

Profile:

Butt is coming up before the shoulders. They should rise together. Arms pulling early.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Pull the bar back instead of up.

A decent cue for shoulders rising with hips is to pretend that that's something sitting on your back and you have to throw it off. If your shoulders stay down its gonna stay on your back.

Other than that its just practice practice practice. Drop the weight and do it perfectly....like 65% of your max.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Pull the bar back instead of up.

A decent cue for shoulders rising with hips is to pretend that that's something sitting on your back and you have to throw it off. If your shoulders stay down its gonna stay on your back.

Other than that its just practice practice practice. Drop the weight and do it perfectly....like 65% of your max.
Great cue...I'll have to borrow that.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
Great cue...I'll have to borrow that.
Thanks, I'm not taking credit for it though, definitely borrowed it from someone...can't remember who though.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

arms pulling early - can be seen right around 0:20
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Kyle Feliberty

Profile:

Thanks, guys. Brad, I tried working that "something on my back" today and think it felt much better (try to get some video soon). From the hang position it feels much more natural, but that first pull is tough for me. My hips always fire first, much as it does on my deadlift.
I cannot seem to break the early arm bend habit, also, but as you said... practice, practice, practice. Thanks again, guys!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Feliberty View Post
Thanks in advance guys and girls. 275# is pretty close to my PR. I notice my hips firing up way to quick and my lack of triple extension. I feel like I'm slow getting under the bar so I try to rush it. Any tips or any other things are greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXkETp4ltNg (maybe WFS, i think a friend drops an "s" bomb early)
Butt shot up way to quick and you never brought the bar back into the hips before going to triple extension. My tips would be go back to the basics, practice doing cleans from the hip and from the knee. Focus on keeping the bar close and finding that nice power position before extending. Knees should be come back under the bar and bar should be right up against the upper thigh or hip as well.

a good way of thinking about the pull is by not thinking about pulling at all. Set the back tight and think about driving the feet through the ground!