CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #21
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
890 calories a day is great if you want to look like these guys:

http://history.grand-forks.k12.nd.us/ndhistory/LessonImages/Sources/Pictures/hol ocaust%202.jpg
Old 04-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Nick, I don't really find that funny. That kind of ****es me off actually.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I've gained on IF too. It won't just happen though... you have to make a conscious effort to eat a ridiculous amount of food. As Scotty said though, the weight gain is done with minimal bodyfat increase.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #24
David Ingersoll

Profile:
Rob, I haven't actually read "the Warrior Diet", but doesn't Ori promote a similar kind of eating pattern?

My understanding was that he suggested we eat most of our calories within a four hour block, preferably in the evening.

Interestingly, his website suggests that his diet is endorsed by Mark Mattson, the Johns Hopkins scientist behind all the intermittent fasting research. Check it out: http://www.warriordiet.com/endorsements.html

I also just read that Dr Mattson is doing a study comparing the Warrior Diet to 3 square meals/day.
http://www.thestatesman.net/page.new...ess=1&id=90262

Very interesting
Old 04-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #25
David Ingersoll

Profile:
I just read a commentary by Mattson in the Lancet, that supports this idea. He even references "The Warrior Diet" as a diet consistent with his research on intermittent fasting. He does warn readers that more research on humans has to be performed before we can reach any strong conclusions.

Here's the reference to the commentary:
Mattson MP. The need for controlled studies of the effects of meal frequency on health. [Journal Article] Lancet. 365(9475):1978-80, 2005 Jun 4-10.

If anyone wants the full article, and other articles on the research behind intermittent fasting, lemme know.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #26
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Originally Ori recomended 1 large diet in the evening and unlimited consumption of veggies throughout the day. He has tweaked his message abit sine the IF information has become more clear.

ORI is a lean but small dude. To do the stuff I want to do I need more muscle mass than that and the tweaks with IF have maintianed,and in the right cases improved that situation.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #27
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I have been incorporating IF about 3 times a week (the 16hr version), and I have not had any adverse problems.

Is it really worth it? I mean, should I be doing it every day to get results?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #28
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jeremy-

No one knows. i suspect doing this 1-2 time per week would have SOME benefit. The original IF studies have the animals eat one day, fast one day. One the eat day the animals eat as much as they would normally eat in 2 days. No studies have been done yet of eat 2 days fast one day or even just this compressed window of eating. We have some interesting anecdotal information but nothing beyond that yet.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #29
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Here's a human study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1 6051710&dopt=Abstract

Old 04-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #30
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Pubmed rocks. . .I always feel so smart after reading a abstract I half understand.

I wish my schedule was more conducive to eating when I needed to. The main problem I deal with is leaving my house at 7:30am and getting home at 12:30am a couple times a week. Basically it means that I am stuck taking all my food with me for the day, or trying to find 'good' food in the urban jungle (with very little time to stop).

Both my jobs aren't really conducive to eating while working.

I actually think that a day on, day off schedule might be easier for me.