CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Robert-

How is your sleep getting all your calories in a window like that. Do you eat later or earlier in the day?

I can't seem to break the 15 hour point doing IF (maybe that can't even be considered IF). After so many hours I just lose my ability to function mentally very well. Perhaps this is largely due to metabolic, not true, hunger, because I am carrying a few extra pounds but I still get really hungry.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:19 AM   #12
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I can't imagine eating in a 3 hour window, that seems like it would certainly take some getting used to.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Jamila Bey

Profile:
So Robb, any plans for an article on how to do this?

And can any women speak to IF experience?

Old 04-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
Christian Hansen

Profile:
I can eat all my healthy calories between 10-4 easy but I don't think I can call it IF because of the whiskey between 4-10 ;)
Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jamila-

We have had several in the Performance Menu :blush: I tend to be more along the 6 hour window..some days 4-5. In the next PM we will have the timing of several weeks of meals that Scotty Hagnas has kept track of (approximate caloric content as well) and I'm hoping to hav esome information on someone implementing an alternate day IF.

I think 15 hrs is plenty long especially in the beginning. Everyone doing this has mentioned some discomfort during an adaption phase but seem to really like it now.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #16
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Sorry for the redundancy here, Robb. That's what I get for being a Jenny-Come-Lately to subscribing!

Oh well...

I RUN thru my days and am in and out of offices and conference rooms with soda and candy laying around for everyone. I am good when I'm not faced with temptations (Fun sized Snickers and Twix filling a bowl the size of a large pumpkin or small child.)

I've just gotta learn to say no. Like I do to crack... And people knocking at my door to convert me to some religious cult.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #17
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Jamila, the door to door types are easy. Just have to start challenging their logic, usually for me they simply leave. Though the day years ago when 2 of them showed up just as I was about to go on exercise did wonders.

Imagine, a door suddenly opening and you are about to start the sales pitch when you suddenly notice the man wearing green. With matching field cap, black boots, webbing, large pack and the large Ka Bar on his webbing. They left rather quickly.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #18
Stephen Cork

Profile:

Rob,
Can you comment on the effects on insulin release with a condensed eating period. Is there a danger that there is a large insulin spike which we are otherwise trying to avoid?

Thanks,
Steve.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Steve-

I do not think that is a problem...I touched on that in the top blog entry here:
http://www.performancemenu.com/blog/index.php?show=archive&year=2006&monthname=M arch

It is the portion dealing with the NIH-07 diet fed to test animals.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #20
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
As usual, I'm coming in to this discussion a little late. This time, I even have a valid excuse. My laptop was "liberated" from the back of my car last weekend, and a pile of broken glass left in it's place. Bye-bye to all my PMs and CFJs.

I have found that you can pretty easily increase muscle mass while IF. I am about 8 lbs heavier from when I started, with minimal increase in bodyfat. You just have to get used to eating big meals.