CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Just wanted to share an article I found on the NY Times today, very interesting!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/he...=1&oref=slogin
Old 04-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Jamila Bey

Profile:
I just wonder how 890 calories a day would fly with folks crossfitting.

Anyone here doing caloric restriction?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Cool stuff, but I doubt 890 calories could sustain a crossfit lifestyle. I don't think restrictions of that magnitude are required to recieve the life extending benefits of CR. I think this is where IF fits nicely into the equations. In animals studies, IF mice saw greater longeivty that CR mice despite the fact that they actually ate more calories than the CR mice. If this applies to humans it would be very cool stuff. I personally use IF and not CR because it allows me to maintain a high level of performance and higher body weight, but still get the health benefits. Art D. has some cool stuff on this.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Based on scientific and anectdotal evidence, IF seems to hold a lot more promise for humans and the CF community specifically than CRAN. Like Greg pointed out, IF mice benefitted more physiologically than the CRAN mice while maintaining a higher bodyweight and more LBM. If I try to restrict calories I feel like crap and performance suffers; however, when I follow an IF regimen, I feel great and my performance actually increases (go figure!). Besides the greater health benefits and its neutral or positive effect on performance, IF seems to be a helluva lot easier for most people to follow. And as we all know, whether we're talking about nutrition or training consistency is key. For those who are interested, there's a great yahoo group dedicated to IF:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fasting/
Quite a few people in that group are extremely intelligent and highly educated. I've learned a great deal just by sifting through the archives. And of course Art. D has some fascinating info on the subject.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I read the article as well yesterday. To me it seems that CR is at odds with exercise. I mean the studies are done seemingly with humans of low activity level.

However supposedly the mice on CR were 'more active' than those on unlimited feed. Might be a case of humans being just way to different from mice, but if I was below 1000 cals. per day I don't think I would be all that active.

IF definitely mimics nature more closely and is much more in tune with the evolution of our biology.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think someone said, "the point is not to live, but to live well." Who would want to live 100 years as a sloth? My attitude is, God gave us our bodies, let's use them. Not abuse them but I don't care if I die 10 years earlier because I've jumped out of planes, played football, overeaten and overdrunk at times, driven too fast, ridden motorcycles around a track, eaten British beef...you get the point.

I've got 3 great kids to carry on the genes -- I'm expendable.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
The intermittent fasting seems to confer ALL the benefits of CRAN but one is not lethargic, cold and without a sex drive.

Most of the age associated decline was pushed back to the very end of the life cycle. In essence the critters were functioning at full youthful capacity until very near the end and then just expired. If you have to go that seems like a fairly good scenario to do it!
Its not all that hard. Fit your meals into a 4-6 hour window...skip all or part of a day here and there. I'm getting 3,500-4k calories/day on this schedule and REALLY like it.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Id say IF can build a fairly impressive physique as well. Here is Scotty Hagnas:
http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/galler...deo&videoID=34
Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Good gracias Scotty! I think you are at negative bodyfat.

Robb, you restrict all of your eating to 3-6 hours? How do you eat all that Paleo food in that timeframe? I have trouble eating 4 full Paleo meals in 8 or 9 hours.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-

Well...I am certainly NOT staying at Zone recomendations! I do tend to seperate protein carb/protein fat meals and I cycle those macronutrient portions a bit. Some days less carbs some days more. It is still pretty easy to get in both large amounts of greenery AND calories if you are using loads of nuts, nut butters olive oil etc. It took a little getting used to but I am liking the abreviated eating schedule, body comp and performance.

I think its the goods! I'm not sure if one could build a 300lb bodybuilder on this...but I don't think many here are aspiring to that.