CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Jaime Escalante

Profile:
Rubber Bands for Mobility and pull ups (McMaster Carr)

So, I am working on improving my mobility and a practical piece of equipment for one of the squat mobility exercises is a rubber band. I am going to be using it like this guy in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3FZhTwubn4#t=150 ( fast forward to like 2:30).
Anyway the page I found this video on suggested a link to Rogue fitness, but those rubber bands seem overpriced.

I've been looking at the Mcmaster Car but i'm confused on which size to order, I've also heard that they snap.

1. What size/ intensity of rubber band is that?
2. Where can I find equal quality rubber bands for less expensive? I don't want to buy something cheap and have it rip, but at the same time, those rogue ones seem more of a " brand name" expense than anything else.
3. If I decide to go for McMaster carr bands, what size should I use if I'm six feet tall and only need low to moderate assistance?
4. Also,which would be a good strap to use for the mobility exercise shown in the video from McMaster?
Thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Rubber Bands for Mobility and pull ups (McMaster Carr)

McMaster Carr sells industrial products... what exactly are you ordering from there?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Sean McLeod

Profile:

Well if you dont want something thats gonna rip then just get them from elitefts or rogue. Problem solved
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Jaime Escalante

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McLeod View Post
Well if you dont want something thats gonna rip then just get them from elitefts or rogue. Problem solved
What size/ intensity is the one Kelly is using in the video. Do you know?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Jump/Stretch Bands are the originals. The ones you get from EliteFTS and Rogue are the best. I've got bands that I bought from Rogue back in Dec 2010. They are still use today. I bought some cheaper ones this past spring. They all snapped (members in the face, groin, etc) within a couple months. Don't go cheap or you'll end up spending more than you would've if you'd just ROGER'd UP and bought the good ones to start with. Get 1 1/8, 2 1/2 and 1/2" bands. You should be fine with those.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Iron Woody supplies bands for Rogue. I think you get some savings if you buy directly from Iron Woody.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
McMaster Carr sells industrial products... what exactly are you ordering from there?
Pallet bands. That where the band idea came from.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

I had some pallet bands. I can't remember which ones I got but I had two sizes. They worked for a while but then I was able to do pullups without them. I tried one recently to show my wife how they worked and it snapped. I think it was about 5 years old but had only been used for about 6 months then sat on a shelf for 4 and a half years. They work for a while. They will snap. It will slap you when it happens. They are not as good as bands designed for that use.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Whitehead View Post
I had some pallet bands. I can't remember which ones I got but I had two sizes. They worked for a while but then I was able to do pullups without them. I tried one recently to show my wife how they worked and it snapped. I think it was about 5 years old but had only been used for about 6 months then sat on a shelf for 4 and a half years. They work for a while. They will snap. It will slap you when it happens. They are not as good as bands designed for that use.
How many rubber products have a long shelf life? Throw in temp changes, rubber will develop fractures then tear then break

Profile:
Re: McMaster Carr Pallet Bands - Which ones?
We've used these for a long time and I'm pretty happy with them. For mobility work and dislocates we use the biggest, longest ones they sell. If it's too long you can choke up on it. One band isn't always enough for some people, so they double up. For gravity assistance in pullups, ring dips, etc I'd say that two of them M/C bands provide about 80% of the assistance of one regular thick green band from Iron Woody, etc. We've got lots of different bands.

A word of caution: these will snap/break. It takes a while and lot of use, but it happens. In my gym we've lost three or four. They're usually good for about a year of steady use by forty people. We haven't seen a big, dramatic slap-in-the-junk break, we just spot a stress hole before it happens, or some goes to get their foot in one and it just keeps going.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 10-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.