CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
help me eat healthier

i'm obsessed with going to the gym (and recently, doing crossfit), eating bacon and keeping fit.

sadly, fit doesn't = healthy, at least not when it comes to my diet. (i've not taken the plunge and started Paleo...mainly due to my aversion to fresh fruit and veg)

despite dumbbell benching my own body weight, i have a 'phobia' (or more accurately an aversion) to healthy food.

i eat daily multi-vitamins, just started to swallow pills of - fish oil, vit C, echinacea and cranberry.

the only vegetable i eat on a regular basis is spinich, which is also the only vegetable i even like. Its even worse for fruits, i only like lemons, oranges and green apples...none of which i eat regularly.

meat on the other hand isn't an issue at all.

so i'm hoping those of you who are more health and nutrition conscious might be able to help - what can i eat to get a more balanced and nutritious diet, aside from the obvious (eat more greens/fruits), taking into consideration my uniquely picky food habits?

what must i force myself to eat vs what can i get away with no eating? thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: help me eat healthier

Learn to cook vegetables with the right seasonings. Pretty much anything tastes good if you saute it in olive oil and put the right spices on it.

I don't know what you want us to tell you...pretty much all we can say is that it's time to start acting like a grown-up and eat the things that you know you need to eat. We can't hold your hand through the process.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Jake Kozlowski

Profile:

Trick yourself into eating fruits and veggies by making delicious smoothies.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Lawrence Munsayac

Profile:

Try mixing some fruits and greens with yogurt. That always helps me get over cravings.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Michael Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
...mainly due to my aversion to fresh fruit and veg)
Find a friend that loves to cook. Better yet, a vegetarian cook. Then, learn from them.

It's amazing what some people come up with. One of my Chef friends introduced me to asparagus... with cumin?? I never would have thought to put cumin on asparagus, but it was truly excellent!

Enjoy, MTG
Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i don't "like" most healthy foods either. but i eat them. eat what you know you should. don't eat what you shouldn't. it's pretty simple really. no one can help you. you decide what goes in your mouth. it's called discipline.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

Find a way to hide the vegs, and maybe do some baking with dried fruit, as as mentioned before. Its time to GROW UP.

there are plenty of Paleo websites out there, my fave at the moment is http://fastpaleo.com/ . worth a read
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

har har har ... laugh at the guy with the totally illogical phobia.

joking aside, Eric, thanks i'd actually never thought about seasoning.

so here's my cunning plan....blender + curry powder (or anything thats overpowering in terms of taste) - make soup/baby food/mash out of it.

i do obviously realize it's good for me and i need to man up about it... was just hoping to find another poor meatarian soul with the same issue who had figured out how to avoid eating their greens.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
David Doran Marshall

Profile:

Curry powder in a smoothie? No wonder you don't like veg. Buy a few decent cookbooks, such as the joy of cooking or any from the Food Network people. There are somany ways to prepare foods, and those recipes are easy to follow and easy to keep "paleo".

Here's one:

Throw a pork shoulder in the crock pot for 8 hours. Make sure it's good and fatty. Add salt and pepper and a little chicken broth.
Bake a few sweet potatoes.
Purée them in a food processor (lose the skins first). Add salt pepper, fresh garlic, and a small pinch of nutmeg. Maybe a small squeeze of lemon juice. Pour in a small amount of chicken broth or some fatty liquid from the pork. Enough to thin the purée but not make it liquid.
Sautee a pack of mushrooms, a cut up onion, and a ton o spinach, in a bit of olive oil. Salt and pepper.
Serve pork, sweet potatoes, and spinach. Portion so that you aren't overloading on the potatoes.

Get cookbooks, they help a lot. Learn about seasonings, fat, and the importance of acids to flavor. Stay away from baking (bread). It is the devil's playground.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Make a salad.

Now cook some meat and mix it into the salad. Hamburger, chicken, steak, bacon, whatever. Don't drain away the grease and juices. That's flavor on the boring veggies.

Eat veggies with a tasty salad dressing. Bleu cheese is good. I like a balsamic vinaigraitte with cheese when I don't have Bleu Cheese. Fat makes things tasty.