CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:
Beginner recommendations

Im thinking of starting Crossfit. I'm 6'3 270 extremely out of shape. I can barely do 5 pushups and no pull ups which is real embarrassing. I want to work out at home but don't know where to start. I found a workout called 30 day at home Crossfit workout. I'm thinking of starting that or what can you guys recommend. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Beginner recommendations

What equipment do you have? Is there a crossfit gym near you? Start slow. Do the crossfit warm up for starters. Scale the pull ups as you must but do them.

There is the ''brand x'' on the mainpage that has scaled workouts so you can do some different workouts.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

I have bands, olympic and standard weights, weight bench, treadmill,jump rope. It's hard to put a pull up bar in my garage so I was thinking of getting a suspension trainer or rings to replace the pull up bar until I can get a squat rack. I want to work out at home because of my baby. Don't have time to go to gym nor can I afford it lol. Thanks for your help
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'm not familiar with the 30 day program you're talking about--could you link to it? It's very possible that it could be too much volume and frequency for a beginner, and that it assumes you know how to do all the lifts and movements correctly and safely.

Keep things simple at first and don't neglect traditional strength work. Doing compound lifts like squats and deadlifts and bench will help boost good hormonal levels and contribute to increased muscle mass, which will help you get leaner and burn fat more efficiently. Take a look at some of the basic strength programs like GSLP or CFFB, which incorporate strength work with conditioning workouts. Conditioning can be pretty simple to start with....i.e. do 5 burpees and sprint 100-200m, walk back, repeat 4 times. Gradually increase the number of burpees or rounds or distance per run.

Rings or even ropes or straps will make a good sub for a pullup bar at this point, especially if you can vary their height and do body rows (i.e. like pullups, but with your feet on the ground and your body at varying angles). You may have to start with your body fairly close to vertical, but as you get stronger you can kick your feet out further to where your body is closer to horizontal.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

www.cleaneatsinthezoo.com. It's a 30 day at home Crossfit challenge or beginners
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I see zero strength work in there, so that fact alone means it's not that great of a program. It generally looks ok from a "conditioning for a beginner" standpoint, but I'd look to add some compound lifts in since you've got access to weights.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

So would you just had some weights a couple days a week or what would you recommend. Also what weight workouts would you suggest for a beginner. I don't have a squat rack. I do have dumbbells. Sorry for all the questions just trying to change my life. Thank ou guys
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Jon Hanover

Profile:

If you're that out of shape. Just start with simple things. Core work(planks, sit ups, etc.), basic compound lifts with light weights - deadlift, squat, press, and mixing in jogging/walking outside... and keep trying to jog a bit more each time. And definitely work on your diet, as there is an entire forum section dedicated to making the best of your diet, which will help you a lot.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Jeff good for you deciding you want to make a change. Don't be ashamed nor embarrassed at all. When I started I was 60 pounds over weight could hardly do 10 push ups and couldn't do a single pull up either. Who cares that's why you are making a change so jump in and do it.
As for the 30 work out it's a start and a lot better than what you did in the last 30 days right? It might be a reasonable start to get your body firing and used to doing some work. Once you're up and running follow the daily workouts on the main page and scale them or here is a great app to help you come up with WOD's http://wodgenius.com/ The main thing is just do something to better yourself!

Good luck to you sir!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

General words of wisdom:

1) Fix you diet. Go either Zone or Paleo. Read the books and follow it correctly. Both nutritional plans work and are not mental difficult to follow. Both do require considerable time shopping and preparing food.

2) Shorter, easier workouts done more often will yield the best results for a deconditioned person. People tend to want to do too much, then get sore or hurt then quit. Avoid this pattern. Never loose track of the math. If you can do 5 push ups today and you can do 6 in a row next week you have made a 20% gain in one week. No experienced CrossFitter can make a 20% gain in anything in one week. Enjoy it while it last.

3) This can be hard with a baby but the goal is to average 7 to 8.5 hours of sleep a night. Many people get the workouts correct, the nutrition correct but fail on the sleep and wonder why they don't get good results. The American idea that doing more in a day is better is wrong. It leads to sickness and poor quality of life.

Remember the turtle, he wins the race. Health and fitness are the same way. It is not the person who does the most in the first 90 days who gets in the best shape. It is the person who develops a life long habit of good nutrition, exercises and sleep who ends up in the best shape.