CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #31
Steve Higgins

Profile:
Re: Paleo/weight loss question

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Doran Marshall View Post
If you are doing crossfit and dieting, don't cut too many cals haphazardly. You'll burn out quickly. Robb says in the book that working out is less important than eating and sleeping in this case. When I went from 285- 265, nothing happened until I ate a little more, and cut my workouts to twice a week. It was too much for my body to handle. In my case that 20lb difference wasn't just losing 20lbs of fat, it was also gaining lbs of muscle. My body needed sleep and food.
When you are getting into this, you really have to listen to your body and learn to take small, measured steps. If something isnt working, don't change everything all at once in a triage attempt. Pick one thing and adjust. Eventually you'll be able to adjust several things at once.

Don't eat almonds if you want to lose weight, or think that you just got a free license to eat bacon and coconut milk all day. It really adds up. If you find yourself eating 4-6 eggs and 3-4 slices of bacon for breakfast, at least do yourself the favor of lifting some heavy weights. But don't expect to be getting "skinnier"

Track calories now to get used to it, because when you hit the wall it sucks, and it'll be easier if you are already adept at figuring foodstats.
What do you suggest I adjust first? More calories? We do a strength lift before each WOD which is usually 75-80% of 1rm. Plus I've been lifting by the westside barbell method for awhile before I started crossfit. I have the heavy lifting thing down its just this calorie game I can't seem to figure out.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #32
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Steve, on MyFitnessPal, go to "edit profile" and after you enter your "fitness profile", to down to the bottom to "preferences" and under "weight loss goal", select "Lose 1 lb per week". That is where I got the 3000 calorie number. If you select "Lose 2 lbs per week", then it will probably be around 2500 calories. That is too much IMHO because you will go hungry, which is not good.

When you enter calories, make sure you enter and measure eveything properly. Nuts and olive oil have a lot of calories, so be careful.
Changed my profile settings to lose 1lb per week. That bumped my cals to 2960/day
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #33
David Doran Marshall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Higgins View Post
What do you suggest I adjust first? More calories? We do a strength lift before each WOD which is usually 75-80% of 1rm. Plus I've been lifting by the westside barbell method for awhile before I started crossfit. I have the heavy lifting thing down its just this calorie game I can't seem to figure out.
Something I tried was adding a few hundred calories, specifically more carbs. In my case I was using too much energy and not replacing it. I suppose once you do it for awhile, your body can convert the fat easily in lieu of carbs. I immediately felt better during the day, was able to complete my workouts once more, and starting trimming down. Keep on mind that I was also cutting back on the workouts to twice a week in the beginning of this phase. Later I went back up to 4x per week and made some serious gains.
Basically, I wouldn't go on what I did because I had people telling me what to try and nothing worked. I had to play around with it and then it really clicked.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #34
Rob Brown

Profile:

..another tip I forgot. Don't be afraid to be patient, you will have a decent amount of skin that will need to get used to your new size. Keep hydrated, and go slow.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #35
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
What exactly are you doing as far as your workouts? And do you workout at a globo gym, CrossFit box, or at home?

Quote:
Changed my profile settings to lose 1lb per week. That bumped my cals to 2960/day
Stay with this until you drop 10 lbs.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #36
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
What exactly are you doing as far as your workouts? And do you workout at a globo gym, CrossFit box, or at home?

Stay with this until you drop 10 lbs.
I workout at a Box. 4 times a week.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #37
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Try to keep some commence sense in all this.

1) If your lifting weights for the first time, or starting again after a long break you will add lean muscle mass in the beginning.

2) If your weight is staying the same and your adding lean muscle mass then fat is getting burned off. You are getting leaner.

3) Pick a starting point and adjust every two weeks as necessary. Remember you will be eating food for the rest of your life. You don't have to get it perfect this week.

3) Small loses add up over time.

#1 a week = 52 in a year
#1.25 a week = 65 in a year
#1.5 a week = 78 in a year
#1.75 a week = 91 in a year

Now if you tell an over weight person they can be 91 pounds lighter in a year they get really excited. That very same person doesn't think losing 1.75 pounds in a week is enough????? The human mind is a large part of the problem. Don't think too much.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #38
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Quote:
Lmfao!!! I typed this from my iPhone last night. Just re-read it and realized I typed .... " if only dessert type foods made me DICK......"
Lol WOW!!!
Yeah, I was thinking "....uh....must be a new CrossFit term I've not heard yet."
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
Steve Higgins

Profile:

So talk about a blow to ones self esteem..... Guy at work today asks " hey man, are you getting bigger? ". He didn't mean muscle either . Now the guy is about 4 inches shorter and weighs the same as me so I take the comment from where it comes but, none the less not what I want to hear almost two months into crossfit.