CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Oliver Trunkett

Profile:
Can some people share their knee injury experiences?

Hey, new here. Just wanted to get to see if my situation matched up to others and see if anyone can share their experiences with knee injuries so I can compare it to mine.

Background: I got a non-lifting related injury (LCL sprain, happened randomly) and didn't notice the damage. I went on to lift the same day no pain or problems. At the end of the workout had major pain in my knee (later discovered to be LCL in knee).

Eventually I noticed it was LCL Sprain plus bursitis. If you have ever had bursitis you'll know there's no "taking it easy", you just have to stop using whatever part of your body has it entirely.

Fast forward 1.5 months... took it easy first few weeks, realized the bursitis then took full 3-4 weeks off gym entirely. Knee is almost better, worked out again recently, knee started puffing up(slightly) by the end of the day.

Basically I decided I'm going to wait til January to use my knee at all. Does anyone have any experiences like this? It's extremely frustrating as I've never had a persistent long lasting injury like this, just want to see if anyone went through something similar. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Selby Brighton

Profile:
Re: Can some people share their knee injury experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Trunkett View Post
Hey, new here. Just wanted to get to see if my situation matched up to others and see if anyone can share their experiences with knee injuries so I can compare it to mine.

Background: I got a non-lifting related injury (LCL sprain, happened randomly) and didn't notice the damage. I went on to lift the same day no pain or problems. At the end of the workout had major pain in my knee (later discovered to be LCL in knee).

Eventually I noticed it was LCL Sprain plus bursitis. If you have ever had bursitis you'll know there's no "taking it easy", you just have to stop using whatever part of your body has it entirely.

Fast forward 1.5 months... took it easy first few weeks, realized the bursitis then took full 3-4 weeks off gym entirely. Knee is almost better, worked out again recently, knee started puffing up(slightly) by the end of the day.

Basically I decided I'm going to wait til January to use my knee at all. Does anyone have any experiences like this? It's extremely frustrating as I've never had a persistent long lasting injury like this, just want to see if anyone went through something similar. Thanks.
sounds nasty , hope you are all better and to 100% now. I did my neck in in much similar way but for a competition. Doctors are saying thats the competitive days over. .. hope you have better luck.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Oliver Trunkett

Profile:

There's no actual pain in the knee anymore. If I squat heavy the swelling will start to come back a little bit and then I have to take it easy once again.

I'm hoping by the end of the year I can squat and have my knee be fine the very next day, but the healing process is so incredibly slow. Shame since lately I've really been focusing on Olympic lifting.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Liz Hyde

Profile:

Well, I have had other knee injuries, but I have also had hip bursitis 3 separate times (twice in my led hip, once in my right).

Are you doing PT? I had about 6 weeks of therapy (electro stim and ultrasound, plus some usual stretching and band exercises) for each bout. I think 2 times a week (it was a long time ago). Costs adds up but it was worth it.

The reason it came back for me was it was caused by my soccer cleats (I would be fine in softball season, then once soccer would start it would flare up). 3rd time's the charm, and when I changed the type of cleats I wore, the problem went away (after staying off of it and going to PT).
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Jen Greenwich

Profile:

I've had a number of knee problems, though never bursitis. I have tendinitis in my shoulder, and usually for that I just rest it, pop some Advil and ice it.

I second going to PT. If it wasn't for my physical therapists (who at times were also regular therapists...), I never would have gotten back to the gym as quickly as I did after my surgery over the summer.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Oliver Trunkett

Profile:

Got some good info here, thanks everyone
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Kris Yeung

Profile:

Funny how no one has mentioned foam rolling to help take care of some of those injuries, especially when it comes to the ITIS brothers, ( any itis is inflammation), usually rest and ice surely does help, but without taking care of the cause of the issue, we might be beating around the bush and taking the regular doctors advice of rest it, and come back when its better. I have been rehabbing and working with crossfit athletes for the past year or so, and just doing the boring foam rolling, stretching, and figuring out what the causes are of injuries rather than treating symptoms have gotten tremendous results. take a step back and treat some of the soft tissue, you would be surprised
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
jamespenn-withie

Profile:

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I've had patellar tendonitis in my right knee since March 2011 and it's been awful. Before that I'd been doing BMF (British Military Fitness) and while it got my VO2 max up it only served to strengthen my quads and do nothing for my hams, glutes and calves, causing the injury during an adventure 10k... good times!

Anyway, I've been slowly strengthening the muscle imbalances and taking glucosamine and it's working; the healing process is slow but getting there.

To be honest, the muscle imbalance work has had the most noticeable effect, couldn't tell you if the glucosamine has worked!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Sports injuries and 21 years in the Army
Torn left Meniscus and ACL late 70's ACL reattached Meniscus cleaned up
Left knee debridement early 90's
Torn right Meniscus mid 90's, Meniscus cleaned up
Diagnosed with medial compartment DJD left knee 2000, treated with knee brace and drugs
Diagnosed with medial and lateral compartmental DJD left knee 2006, treated with knee brace and drugs
Too young for a TKA
January 2012 Diagnosed with, tri compartmental DJD
TKA April 2012 successful operation
55 year old garage Crossfit since 2007