CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
William Arnold

Profile:
Just confirming the popping of knees..

I've searched threads on multiple forums, i've googled, i've asked weight training coaches, and i've had a million different answers / opinions and so thus i come here with probably a stupidly common question, hoping for some confirmation.

*drumroll* *takes deep breath*

During backs squats front squats overhead squats, any squat.. the top outside of my knees, (usually just right) pop. It appears to be a tendon sliding back and forth as my knee bends or un-bends. It is usually decently loud although not exactly physically painful, but it does put a considerable fear in the back of my head... From what i can gather from the million different opinions of varied sources, if it doesn't hurt it isn't a problem. Yeay or nay?

Because it seems that even if it doesn't hurt now it has an extreme potential to become something bad. Foam rolling, tennisball trigger-pointing, aggressive stretching, helps a bit but does not cure. Just making sure, this is NOT something anyone experiencing should be worried about. If i am squatting next week and my knee explodes, it most likely won't be because my knee pops. Yes?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Ted Toal

Profile:
Re: Just confirming the popping of knees..

I have the same thing in my left knee. I've heard it is the tendon sliding back but I've also heard it could be fluid. In any case, am interested in hearing responses.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
William Arnold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Toal View Post
I have the same thing in my left knee. I've heard it is the tendon sliding back but I've also heard it could be fluid. In any case, am interested in hearing responses.
I'm positive mine is a tight tendon. But again, as with my hope for the post, i just want some answers if it's something i need to have taken care of or if i will just make music when i squat for the rest of my life. Preferably the latter.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

the iliotibial band can rub in that area, also there is something called a plica which is like a doubling over of the capsule that can do that in that area. Imagine a blanket or the capsule and if there is a wrinkle in the blanket it forms a little cord that can rub there. here is a picture of one

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=plica...61&tx=67&ty=77
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Ken Birch

Profile:

My left knee did the same thing where I had no pain but it would pop sometimes when I would squat and then stand. It was painless but I had it checked out with an MRI and the result was a small tear in my meniscus. Good thing I caught it. I didn't need surgery but I had to baby the knee during workouts, no box jumps, double unders or running for about 6 weeks. (One legged thrusters off a box sucks worse then regular thrusters by the way.) If I wouldn't have caught the tear I could have really eff'd up my knee. Take care of it.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Birch View Post
My left knee did the same thing where I had no pain but it would pop sometimes when I would squat and then stand. It was painless but I had it checked out with an MRI and the result was a small tear in my meniscus. Good thing I caught it. I didn't need surgery but I had to baby the knee during workouts, no box jumps, double unders or running for about 6 weeks. (One legged thrusters off a box sucks worse then regular thrusters by the way.) If I wouldn't have caught the tear I could have really eff'd up my knee. Take care of it.
he is saying the noise is upper outer and meniscus is located right along the joint line. As in anyknee issue a good physical exam can distinguish tear vs benign noise and snapping tendon
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
Ted Toal

Profile:

That is the big question for me. If it is just a snapping tendon, it that something to be concerned about?

I don't think mine is a partial tear as it's been going on for quite a while, causes no pain or weakness.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
William Arnold

Profile:

Quote:
That is the big question for me. If it is just a snapping tendon, it that something to be concerned about?

I don't think mine is a partial tear as it's been going on for quite a while, causes no pain or weakness.
Same issue for me. It has never been painful, but i have had it going on for a good amount of time.

Perhaps it has come into play due to my highschool osgood slawho-a-whats disease but im not sure. Back squats 2 times a week and my knees are still feeling alright, along with running overhead squats and front squats.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Ryan Seningen

Profile:

I have the same issue and for me I believe the cause is a tight IT band. Using a foam roller along the outside of my leg from knee to hip seems to help. Does the popping reduce in frequency or intensity towards the end of your workout?

Another trick I like is to feel around the outside of my knee cap for a tender spot. If you find one, put a little pressure on it and flex your quad 5-10 times for about 2 seconds each. You should also follow the muscle up the chain, roll and stretch that thing out. For me, this leads me right back up to my IT band. This allows my knee cap to move more naturally instead of being pulled harder to one side.

If you're really worried about it, I would have it checked out by a doctor. In my experience, peace of mind is worth the cost of a visit any day. If nothing else, he could give you a referral to physical therapy and they can identify any imbalance you may have.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:

snapping tendons not a problem but you should confirm with md