CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Shoes comparable to Nike Free Run?

I've had my Nike Free Runs for about a year and 4 months; I generally use them for most every WOD, unless it involves a lot of Oly lifting, in which case I use my NB Minimus shoes. I've been pretty pleased with them.

It's about that time to replace them, and I'm wondering what else those who have tried this shoe have tried. I do have a good reason for asking - two of them actually:

- my arches tend to be a bit higher than normal
- I had ankle surgery about 3 years ago; it doesn't inhibit me in any way, really, but I did notice that after we did some running (6 miles to be exact) the other day, the top of my foot is pretty sore - it's where they had to trim off and reattach two tendons that had gotten snapped when I broke my ankle

So this being said, what other shoes would you consider? I hear a ton of good things about Rebook's shoes, as well as the Inov8's, but as I said, they need to have decent support/cushioning for running.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Sam Sanchez

Profile:
Re: Shoes comparable to Nike Free Run?

my girlfriend has an issue high arches and always looking for more support and after trying on endless shoes she really like brooks shoes from the Pure Project line. I can't remember what model off hand, but she felt the support she needed instantly.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

A coworker of mine also mentioned something about Brooks (and Merrell as well). Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

I like my Merrell's, i have the road glove and it has basically the same sole as a pair of V5Fs so probably too minimal for you. I dont use them for wods because i like my nanos for that, but they would be fine to use as long as there wasnt a run. For me at about 200#s, theyre just isnt enough shock protection in them even though theyre designed to be used for minimalist running.

A year or so ago when i thought i would try to force myself to enjoy running, i went and got fitted at a shop and was recommended a pair of Brooks Ghosts. Theyre much more supportive and are meant for longer distance running, but they do have a series that is more "squishy" that would be comparable to the Nike Free and get high ratings too.

So basically i typed all that just to say that both brands make good stuff that holds up
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I like my Merrell's, i have the road glove and it has basically the same sole as a pair of V5Fs so probably too minimal for you. I dont use them for wods because i like my nanos for that, but they would be fine to use as long as there wasnt a run. For me at about 200#s, theyre just isnt enough shock protection in them even though theyre designed to be used for minimalist running.
You're probably right. I should point out (unsure if I did) that I do use my NB Minimus for WODs all the time, but as you said above, I don't use them when running. For those I use the Nike Free Airs. I'm sure my ankle would hold up fine - but have also had an L5/S1 herniated disc surgery, so I make sure I've got some cushion when running.

Quote:
A year or so ago when i thought i would try to force myself to enjoy running, i went and got fitted at a shop and was recommended a pair of Brooks Ghosts. Theyre much more supportive and are meant for longer distance running, but they do have a series that is more "squishy" that would be comparable to the Nike Free and get high ratings too.
Good to know - most people don't use those. How do you like your Nanos? I don't "need" a shoe with insole UNLESS I'm running...but since I have a shoe I use just for Oly lifting and WODs w/o running, I figured my next pair should be able to handle both, therefore a shoe with some insole. Most everyone I know loves their Nanos, and am considering them as well.

So basically i typed all that just to say that both brands make good stuff that holds up [/quote]
Old 06-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I wear NB Minimus for the majority of my workouts. If I have one with mostly running, I will throw on my Saucony Kinvaras.

I guess they are supposed to be a "minimal" shoe. I don't know about that since they-along with all running shoes-look like some orthopedic shoe. They are less obtrusive than other high dollar running shoes I have had though.

The Sauconys are nice for when I am lumbering along with no regard for proper running mechanics.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Chris Jones

Profile:

I love my Nanos Matt, the pair i wear to the gym are definitely showing their age and abuse. I have the lime green ones and they have dirty spots on them, some blood from a bailed c&j and plenty of chalk dust from various workouts. I bought another pair in a more nuetral color to wear everyday, plenty of cushion but never feel too soft or squishy for me. That coupled with the fact that they have a wide toe box that doesnt rub my pinky toes, and im in love!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Ah, good point - I've got a slightly wider foot than normal, and that's probably one of the very few complaints I have with my Free Runs.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I love my Nanos Matt, the pair i wear to the gym are definitely showing their age and abuse. I have the lime green ones and they have dirty spots on them, some blood from a bailed c&j and plenty of chalk dust from various workouts. I bought another pair in a more nuetral color to wear everyday, plenty of cushion but never feel too soft or squishy for me. That coupled with the fact that they have a wide toe box that doesnt rub my pinky toes, and im in love!
+1

Love my nanos, have WODed in frees, nb minimus, vibram and basic nb running shoes. None came close to nanos. Soft enough to land hard but hard enough to be very supportive. Run 5 and 10ks in them too and no issues/pain whatsoever.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Well, tons of people use them @ my box, and they say about the same thing, so I guess I know what I'm checking out next. LOL Thanks!