CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #41
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: CrossFit - Reekbok Apparel...

Eh. Probably not. The message board is such a small portion of the overall community.

In the end I think sales will end up driving whether or not Crossfit and Reebok think this is a good idea.

I personally don't see how this stuff can sell. Especially the stuff that doesn't even say Crossfit on it.

And the whole thing about people new to the community not knowing about the old store....well that can go both ways. If they don't know the difference anyways then they certainly won't know the difference between a shirt that costs 55 dollars and the same one made by Nike or Under Armor for 20-25 dollars, and why they should buy it.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #42
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
I'd bet that "listening to the community" for them is nothing more or less than watching sales figures. And none of us will ever know what those are.
Nope we don't listen at all. It's only about the Benjamins and the *****es.

Oh wait, I already used that line on the Affiliate Blog the other day. Darn it. I'm not supposed to care about CrossFit or have a heart or soul! I better stop talking with you guys or I'll find myself out of a job.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #43
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
Nope we don't listen at all. It's only about the Benjamins and the *****es.

Oh wait, I already used that line on the Affiliate Blog the other day. Darn it. I'm not supposed to care about CrossFit or have a heart or soul! I better stop talking with you guys or I'll find myself out of a job.
when you look back on that, lisbeth, do you think you'll consider that a professional and constructive response?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #44
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
I freely embrace capitalism and the free market. Capitalism means you can design/produce and sell whatever you want at whatever price you want.
The free market means I am under no obligation to buy the overpriced ugly stuff.
I guess we are also embracing free speech by going on a forum to call it junk.
A company that is smart will listen to what their target market wants. I would assume the message board on crossfit.com is where you would go to listen to the market for crossfit branded goods.
No argument here.

Still, the final say will be the bottom line, as it should be. So only time will tell. Personally, I won't be buying any, but my prediction is that many will.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #45
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
Well, I certainly do. Kind of. Just not capitalism that has profit as its only marker of success.

Really? It would disappoint you to know that a profit-seeking enterprise was concerned with nothing other than sales? Customer or community feedback? Social responsibility? Environment? Public relations? Adherence to its root values? Or, in this particular case, maintaining some shred of dignity?
Barring the asterisks of immoral activity, meaning theft and corruption, I do consider profit the marker of success. Money is the medium of all a society's resources- it is the translation of worth from one thing to another. This includes human resources, material resources... everything. If a company is able to make money without being dishonest or playing unfair (using politicians to make laws that favor one over the other, that sort of thing) then they are doing a good thing for society.

As far as the environment goes, that has become an utterly retarded issue in this country these days. The environmental impact of the gulf oil spill is hardly worth talking about any more (and please guys, let's not devolve into debating that for the next three pages, I'm just making a point), so overpriced t-shirts and hats... just don't matter.

Customer/community feedback? Dude, what do you think sales are?

Social responsibility? As in... they should fund a community center in the poor part of town so it can be trashed and spray painted upon, or what? Social responsibility ought to mean making a good product people want to buy without doing the corrupt dishonest things as described above.

As far as root values and dignity shreds go... I don't even know what that is supposed to mean, exactly.

Here's the bottom line: profits mean prosperity, and prosperity helps everyone who would dare to help themselves.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #46
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Not much to say about the new stuff... Yep, they want to make money and yep, they want to provide athletic clothing that is similar to other "high performance" brands. Whatever, that's fine. BUT WHY DID THEY GET RID OF ALL THE AWESOME STUFF?! They could have at least kept some of the old stuff around... I wouldn't even mind if they had put a little Reebok logo on it.

But where's pukie? Where's infidel? Why don't these items make a statement about CrossFit? (With the exception of very few shirts)

Sadly, I do not own any of the good old-style t-shirts or hoodies... and it looks like I never will
Old 07-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #47
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
So this is my favorite one so far.

"...this military-style hat that oozes elite attitude."
http://shopcrossfitreebok.com/mens-1...cap-black.html (WFS)

Gotta love things that ooz elite attitude.
Oh. My. Effing. God.

I have an idea...let's take all the crap that people over at I'm A Tool say about CrossFitters and make it true. There's a solid marketing scheme for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheline Grondin View Post
Sadly, I do not own any of the good old-style t-shirts or hoodies... and it looks like I never will
Makes me extra happy that I bought all of the "old-school" (unfortunately that appears to be the appropriate term) CF gear when I had the chance. My navy blue shirt that ONLY says CrossFit on the left breast and back is going to be a rather enviable item in a year or two...better stop wearing it as often.

- Alex
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #48
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

I think everyone should relax a little. I definitely wish the old store was still around too, but I'm sure there is a good reason for it, aside from money or what-have-you.

Coach Glassman has always said good fitness will chase out bad. In an open-sourced community like this, that has proven to be the case. And it will most likely be true of this new scenario. If you don't like it, then don't buy the stuff. If enough people think this way, then the sales will not be good, and I'm sure a change will be made.

Remember people, we're talking about t shirts...no matter how sweet they can be (as I'm looking at my closet full of CrossFit shirts). It's just clothing.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #49
Rick Hardin

Profile:

I think all the old styles were on American Apparel tees, were they not?

Great shirts, perfect fit and made to last.

Are the new ones similar quality and fit?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #50
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinagoga View Post
Coach Glassman has always said good fitness will chase out bad. In an open-sourced community like this, that has proven to be the case.
Then why are rhabdo, SLAP tears, and achilles tears so prevalent?