CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Wednesday Weekly Trend and Weight Update

Today is the end of Week 8 of my fat loss regimen.

All in all, this was a good week. I stayed pretty much on track from day to day. The only exception was that I had two free meals, aka non-Paleo snacks, instead of just one, but they appear to have had minimal impact. I plateaued a bit in the middle of the week, but I broke that yesterday by skipping some of my seasonings, which contain a little salt. Yes, kids - I gamed the system to drop my bodyweight on the last day of the week It doesn't matter. Games I play today are made up for later on, and it all comes out even in the end. And as you'll see if you follow this thread, I tend to plateau rather often, and then break through. I rarely just steadily lose Bodyweight from day to day. Just watch the Trend data to know what is really going on. And yes, the Trend data does lag behind the Bodyweight data - it is a moving average and can't help but do that. The key is to observe the rate of loss based on the Trend.

______Date_______________Weight___________Trend__
Wed, Jun 22, 2011_______389.4 lbs_______396.1 lbs
Thu, Jun 23, 2011_______389.4 lbs_______395.4 lbs
Fri, Jun 24, 2011_______387.4 lbs_______394.6 lbs
Sat, Jun 25, 2011_______388.6 lbs_______394.0 lbs
Sun, Jun 26, 2011_______387.8 lbs_______393.4 lbs
Mon, Jun 27, 2011_______388.6 lbs_______392.9 lbs
Tue, Jun 28, 2011_______387.8 lbs_______392.4 lbs
Wed, Jun 29, 2011_______385.8 lbs_______391.7 lbs

Above is the past week's Bodyweight and Trend data. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric". (WFS) The Trend is more reliable for revealing how much weight I have actually lost over the weeks and months than Bodyweight, which tends to fluctuate.

Bodyweight and Trend Data for The First 8 Weeks of My Fat Loss Regimen

Normally, on Wednesdays, I would just post the above information and that is it. However, some folks might be curious to know what was going on in previous weeks. For them, I post the entire eight weeks of data below.

______Date_______________Weight___________Trend__
Wed, May 4, 2011_______425.6 lbs_______425.6 lbs
Thu, May 5, 2011_______421.2 lbs_______425.2 lbs
Fri, May 6, 2011_______418.4 lbs_______424.5 lbs
Sat, May 7, 2011_______418.6 lbs_______423.9 lbs
Sun, May 8, 2011_______416.6 lbs_______423.2 lbs
Mon, May 9, 2011_______416.0 lbs_______422.5 lbs
Tue, May 10, 2011_______416.0 lbs_______421.8 lbs
Wed, May 11, 2011_______416.2 lbs_______421.2 lbs
Thu, May 12, 2011_______414.8 lbs_______420.6 lbs
Fri, May 13, 2011_______413.0 lbs_______419.8 lbs
Sat, May 14, 2011_______414.6 lbs_______419.3 lbs
Sun, May 15, 2011_______414.4 lbs_______418.8 lbs
Mon, May 16, 2011_______413.2 lbs_______418.2 lbs
Tue, May 17, 2011_______411.0 lbs_______417.5 lbs
Wed, May 18, 2011_______409.6 lbs_______416.7 lbs
Thu, May 19, 2011_______409.8 lbs_______416.0 lbs
Fri, May 20, 2011_______409.8 lbs_______415.4 lbs
Sat, May 21, 2011_______410.0 lbs_______414.9 lbs
Sun, May 22, 2011_______408.6 lbs_______414.3 lbs
Mon, May 23, 2011_______409.2 lbs_______413.8 lbs
Tue, May 24, 2011_______407.6 lbs_______413.2 lbs
Wed, May 25, 2011_______406.8 lbs_______412.6 lbs
Thu, May 26, 2011_______405.8 lbs_______411.9 lbs
Fri, May 27, 2011_______404.4 lbs_______411.2 lbs
Sat, May 28, 2011_______405.4 lbs_______410.6 lbs
Sun, May 29, 2011_______404.6 lbs_______410.0 lbs
Mon, May 30, 2011_______403.4 lbs_______409.3 lbs
Tue, May 31, 2011_______404.4 lbs_______408.8 lbs
Wed, Jun 1, 2011_______403.8 lbs_______408.3 lbs
Thu, Jun 2, 2011_______403.2 lbs_______407.8 lbs
Fri, Jun 3, 2011_______402.6 lbs_______407.3 lbs
Sat, Jun 4, 2011_______403.2 lbs_______406.9 lbs
Sun, Jun 5, 2011_______401.8 lbs_______406.4 lbs
Mon, Jun 6, 2011_______400.6 lbs_______405.8 lbs
Tue, Jun 7, 2011_______397.6 lbs_______405.0 lbs
Wed, Jun 8, 2011_______396.8 lbs_______404.2 lbs
Thu, Jun 9, 2011_______397.2 lbs_______403.5 lbs
Fri, Jun 10, 2011_______397.4 lbs_______402.9 lbs
Sat, Jun 11, 2011_______397.2 lbs_______402.3 lbs
Sun, Jun 12, 2011_______395.8 lbs_______401.7 lbs
Mon, Jun 13, 2011_______394.8 lbs_______401.0 lbs
Tue, Jun 14, 2011_______396.6 lbs_______400.6 lbs
Wed, Jun 15, 2011_______397.0 lbs_______400.2 lbs
Thu, Jun 16, 2011_______396.0 lbs_______399.8 lbs
Fri, Jun 17, 2011_______394.2 lbs_______399.2 lbs
Sat, Jun 18, 2011_______394.0 lbs_______398.7 lbs
Sun, Jun 19, 2011_______392.2 lbs_______398.1 lbs
Mon, Jun 20, 2011_______391.0 lbs_______397.4 lbs
Tue, Jun 21, 2011_______391.4 lbs_______396.8 lbs
Wed, Jun 22, 2011_______389.4 lbs_______396.1 lbs
Thu, Jun 23, 2011_______389.4 lbs_______395.4 lbs
Fri, Jun 24, 2011_______387.4 lbs_______394.6 lbs
Sat, Jun 25, 2011_______388.6 lbs_______394.0 lbs
Sun, Jun 26, 2011_______387.8 lbs_______393.4 lbs
Mon, Jun 27, 2011_______388.6 lbs_______392.9 lbs
Tue, Jun 28, 2011_______387.8 lbs_______392.4 lbs
Wed, Jun 29, 2011_______385.8 lbs_______391.7 lbs
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Integrating the Paleo and Zone Diets With Very Low Glycemic Index Fruits and Vegetables

After a lot of reading and study, I concluded that the Paleo and Zone diets were very healthy and well suited for serious fat loss if properly adapted. So I set to work integrating the two.

Both diets classify foods into different groups, such as prohibited, permitted, strongly encouraged, or strongly discouraged. For example, the Paleo Diet prohibits grain based foods of any kind, while the Zone Diet strongly discourages them. In fact, Dr Barry Sears has stated that the strictest version of the Zone Diet is, in fact, a Paleo Diet. I began by culling through these groups, and removing almost all of strongly discouraged foods in both diets from my grocery shopping list. I then completely removed all of the prohibited foods from both diets from my grocery shopping list. Over time, after weeks of shopping healthy and either eating or throwing out the unhealthy, the kitchen became stuffed with nothing but healthy PaleoZone foods.

There were interesting exceptions in this process. For example, the Paleo Diet encourages the consumption of organ meats such as liver, while the Zone Diet discourages liver due to its high saturated fat and cholesterol content. I chose to eat two 50 gram portions of calf liver each week, and the fats be damned, because calf liver provides an incredible abundance of certain vital nutrients. 100 grams a week of calf liver is your very own Vitamin B-12 shot. Great stuff. Also, eggs are a Paleo permitted food, but the Zone Diet strongly discourages them due to high levels of arachidonic acid. I studied the issue myself, most especially the nutritional quality of eggs. Even the superior free-range eggs high in Omega-3's, which are also quite expensive, are poor sources of protein compared to various lean cuts of whole meat. So while I might eat eggs once in a while, I'd rather eat a higher quality source of protein.

Overall, the two diets largely concur in food choices in their strictest forms, but the Paleo Diet is more forgiving of saturated fat than the Zone Diet, which is more forgiving about carbohydrates. While I do get saturated fat in my diet, for now, I follow Zone practices and bias towards the mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fats, though someday I might change this. But when it comes to carbohydrates, I adhere to the Paleo diet and its exclusion of carbs from dairy products, legumes, and grains.

While I am very strict and serious about following my PaleoZone diet, I try not to be rigid and narrow-minded. For example, I do permit myself the occasional free meal. (Interestingly though, pizza no longer tastes as good as it once did, and a Big Mac leaves me feeling groggy and listless. The longer I eat PaleoZone foods, the less I feel any interest in those old foods I used to eat.) Also, when I am ready, someday I will begin the Starting Strength weightlifting program. When that happens, I will adapt my diet in various ways, including milk. There is strong evidence that drinking lots of milk encourages muscle growth and development. At that point, I will be a Lacto-PaleoZoner, and no longer a strict Paleo dieter.

Both the Paleo and Zone Diets permit and encourage the consumption of fruits and vegetables, and generally prefer low glycemic index vegetables. Both diets accept the standard definition of "Low Glycemic Index" as 55 or less. Enter Pierre Dukan, a French physician and author of The Dukan Diet, which has proven to be a very successful diet in France for many years. And, a diet with decidedly Paleo-Zonish characteristics.

Dukan argues that the standard definition of what constitutes "Low Glycemic Index" is based more on politics than on science and nutritional findings. With a G.I. of 55 or less, a great many fruits and vegetables are on the list, with rather few excluded. Certainly most of the major and popular fruits are available. However, Dukan argues that the insulin and blood sugar response is still too high at 55 G.I. for serious fat loss. Based upon his clinical experience and research, he re-classified Glycemic Index as follow:
  • Low G.I. - 35 or less
  • Moderate G.I. - 36 to 49
  • High G.I. - 50 or more
Dukan holds that if you really want to lose fat, most of your consumed fruits and vegetables should have a glycemic index of 35 or less, with only a few in the moderate range. Thus, his list of permitted fruits and veggies is far more restrictive than the standard G.I. categorizations.

Since I really want to lose fat, I restricted my fruit and vegetable shopping list to only those foods which had a G.I. of 35 or less, and a low Glycemic Load of 10 or less as well. So far, I am getting good results with these restrictions, though I do miss some of those prohibited foods. Someday I'll enjoy them again, but for now I focus on fat loss. For those who would like to embrace this very low G.I. practice, I have included below a fruit and vegetable list.

List of Very Low Glycemic Index (< 35 G.I.) and Low Glycemic Load (< 10 G.L.) Fruits and Vegetables
  • All Leafy Greens
  • Asparagus
  • Artichoke
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Cauliflower
  • Celeriac
  • Celery
  • Chayote
  • Cucumbers
  • Eggplant
  • Garlic
  • Ginger
  • Grapefruit
  • Jicama
  • Leeks
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Mushrooms
  • Okra
  • Onion
  • Radishes
  • Rhubarb
  • Scallions
  • Shallots
  • Sour Cherries
  • Summer Squash
  • Turnips
  • Zucchini
Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Hi Luke.

I think I have, or had, (ok have) Metabolism B. Back in 2004 I reached 260# which at 5'10" is not good, and I was just 21 back then. I am one of those persons who do NOT grow the gigantic belly in front of them. Some people call this "hard fat". All I had is "soft fat" (or subcutaneous fat maybe). The funny thing is I was not THAT sedentary. I imagine, had I done nothing about this, I would have been close or over 300# by now and by your age (if I made it), I could very well have been fatter than you, heh heh.

I just read every post you've made so far. Like those doctors found, I too responded very well to almost no carbs. I had read the Atkins book in 2005 and tried it for a month and lost a bit of weight. Then I read South Beach Diet which, initially, is similar in the fact that allows very little carbs, but then gradually introduces them. Well, in early 2006 I started South Beach but I stayed permanently in that Phase 1. Basically I ate meat and vegetables. No tubers really, just veggies. Not even fruit I think. I also did about 50-60 minutes of an Elliptical machine 6x/week as my only exercise. Looking back, that was a HUGE mistake and I would have lifted weights MUCH sooner, if not from the VERY beggining. *Take note of this please. By June I was 200#, I lost the first 40# in 4months at a steady 10#/month rate. By Deceber 2006 I was 173# and, although weak, quite happy.

So this is where I'm going with all this: These forums are plagued with folks who have seen great success following an unmeasured Paleo Diet. These people eat 3 banans a day, raisins, tubers in their post-workout meals, apples, berries, pineapple, wine and dark chocolate.

And I just have to say... WHAT THE F---?

Over the past 5 years since I lost all that weight, I've tried many different things. Eating more, eating less. Doing pure metcons, doing strength training. Heck, recently I even decided to "bulk up", which I kindof regret although I did get bigger and stronger, I got to 210# but very fat (had to dig out size 36" jeans) and I'm now desperate to reduce this "spare tyre" around my midsection, and lose some of this upper thigh and butt-fat that I dislike so much.

But I just cannot seem to get those other fellow's results eating like that. I confess that I can eat like that and MAINTAIN. But i cannot completely lean out doing that. I didn't want to admit it at first, mainly because some people around here accuse some Paleo-ers of "doing Atkins"... but I'll be da**ed if I don't admit that I only lean out when I'm eating VLC (very low carb). Not necessarily Atkins-phase 1-low, but low.

This has led me to wonder about different types of people and trying to identify them and classify them in Groups. Lately I have wondered if the way someone accumulates fat is any indicatorof this. For example, as I mentioned somewhere above: I don't get "hard fat", I get "soft fat", to use terms I've seen in tEh InTerWebz. By this I mean I don't grow a huge gigantic round belly with my belly button in line with the stretched skin. My belly bottom seems to stay back, my belly doesn't become gigantic, but alot of fat AROUND the belly button is accumulated, and at my sides, and I can "pinch" or grab this fat with my fingers/hand, where as those other guys with the huge-round bellies can't pinch their fat around their belly button.

I have found way more testimonials of people who were "hard fat" and got lean, than people who were "soft fat" and got lean. Does this mean I'm doomed to never get lean? All I can do is sit back and envy those who eat a crapload of fruit a day and while eating Paleo get ripped. I just can't. I've tried. For a long time, too, haven't been at this for just a few weeks.

Anyways, I liked your post. It seems you're obsessed with this, I would actually recommend not weighing yourself daily but if you're OK with that, do it. But it can be stressful.

I'll keep checking here and give the "support" you're seeking for in any way I can. So far you seem to be doing GREAT. So please keep at it.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #14
Luke Seubert

Profile:

The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful

In my toolbox of fat loss measuring devices, I have three items. A scale. An electrical impedance body fat composition meter. And a tape measure. Of the three, the tape measure provides the most consistently useful data. All three of these tools can lie to you at any given time about what is really happening with your body, but the tape measure lies the least of them all. Let's see how I put it to good use.

First of all, I have two tape measures. One is the usual yellow plastic tape measure which is a very long and not so usual 120 inches - 300 cm long. This is the common tape measure which we are all familiar with. The other is a MyoTape. Take a look at the MyoTape Amazon.com webpage (WFS) for pictures and a description of the MyoTape if you are unfamiliar with it.

Now, why do I use a MyoTape when I already have a perfectly good tape measure? The spring-loaded retractor mechanism in the MyoTape helps to ensure consistent, reliable, repeatable measurements. While it isn't perfect every time, it is easier to get quality measurements with a MyoTape than a tape measure. Wherever I can, I use the MyoTape - on my arms, legs, and neck. However, it only has 60 inches - 150 cm of tape on it, which is not enough (for the time being - this is changing) to measure my chest, waist, and hips. So, for those measurements, I use the yellow tape measure.

Once each week, on Saturday, I take my various body measurements. I measure right and left unflexed biceps and forearms, and the wrists; as well as the right and left unflexed thighs and calves, and the ankles. I conclude by measuring my neck, chest, waist, and hips. I once tried including a shoulder measurement as well, but I just couldn't get reliable, repeatable results from week to week, so I dropped that measurement.

Now, what do I do with all this data? Well, I load it into a spreadsheet and look at the results over time. For example, some of the measurements, such as my limbs, don't change very much, or at all. Others, like chest, waist, and hips, do change quite a bit. I also total up all of these measurements into one number, which I call "Total Body Measurements". I compare this number each week with the numbers from past weeks, to see how my body is changing and responding to my diet regimen.

Total Body Measurements is a good metric for several reasons. First of all, measuring with a tape measure can be a bit of a sloppy, imprecise procedure. So each week, there is a little bit of measurement error introduced into my data, both to the positive and to the negative. By summing all of my body measurements, there is a pretty good chance that most of these errors will cancel one another out, leaving me with a single, fairly reliable and consistent metric. This is a crude technique, but it works in a good duct tape sort of way. Also, the Total Body Measurement declines quite a bit from one week to the next, much more so than any one measurement. So, if I have a bad week on my chest measurement, with no decline, or maybe even a slight increase; I won't get too discouraged because my Total Body Measurements number will still show a significant decline.

Also, this technique is quite reliable for my current diet regimen because I am focused much more on losing fat than gaining muscle. Thus, none of my measurements will go up much due to muscle gain. At least, not most of the time. One week I took a fair number of long walks, and saw a slight increase in my hip measurement. Since my hips had been steadily declining before then and my other measurements dropped as expected, I attribute that hip increase to a bit of muscle mass added on thanks to the exercise. (Yes, when you are really out of shape, even walking can build a little muscle mass.)

By recording multiple body measurements on a weekly basis, you can figure out from subtle changes what is happening with your body, and whether you are on track or not with your fat loss goals. This is the power of the simple but oh so very useful tape measure.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Luke, just curious - How did you get from what you were eating previously into a PaleoZone diet? I read many people who say they started by cutting out one or two things at a time from their shopping lists and over the course of time got to the point where the only thing in their house is Paleo or Zone foods simply because they ate the rest of the stuff, but that took them months! You sound like you just simply decided to switch eating style/diet and trashed everything in your house to start anew.

I'm curious also because my diet is somewhat affected by my wife and her medical conditions. She had a kidney transplant a little more than a year ago and some of her meds interact with certain foods. So we have to be careful planning her diet and bounce some foods oof her med list as well.

Thank you for your time and effort in this log.

I'd personally like to see some of the recipes you use to prepare your food or menus we can use also (meant as a helpful hint).
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
Jason David

Profile:

Hey Luke!
I started at 40+ % bodyfat as well...stick with what you are doing and you'lyl be fine. CrossFit and the diet recommendation works. I've encountered just about every stumbling block a fatty can have. Let me know if you have any questions...
Old 07-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #17
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: July 2, 2011
Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 970.5 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 964.0 cm

Beginning Date for Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 45.5 cm

My trunk body measurements started dropping nicely again this week. I am happy to see that. There was a definite slowdown for a few weeks there. Hopefully the decline in trunk measurements will continue. There was more variation than usual in my limb measurements. I attribute this to some sloppy measuring on my part, as those measurements are usually fairly stable, with a slow downward trend. I'll have to be more attentive when I measure myself next week. Of course, there is the possiblity that I am losing muscle mass, and that this is showing up on my limbs. If so, I think it would show up on the calves and forearms most noticeably first, as those are my leanest body parts. I will keep an eye on them over the next few weeks. If they continue to drop, I might have to bump up my caloric intake so that I stop burning muscle and fat, and instead burn mostly fat. We'll see what happens as I gather more data and information.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
Right Thigh: 68.5 cm, 68.5 cm
Right Calf: 53.0 cm, 51.5 cm
Right Ankle: 28.5 cm, 28.5 cm

Left Thigh: 70.5 cm, 72.5 cm
Left Calf: 52.5 cm, 52.0 cm
Left Ankle: 29.0 cm, 29.0cm

Right Arm: 37.5 cm, 38.0 cm
Right Forearm: 34.5 cm, 34.0 cm
Right Wrist: 20.5 cm, 20.5 cm

Left Arm: 43.0 cm, 41.5 cm
Left Forearm: 34.5 cm, 35.0 cm
Left Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Neck: 45.5 cm, 45.0 cm
Chest: 145.0 cm, 143.5 cm
Waist: 161.0 cm, 158.0 cm
Hips: 127.0 cm, 126.5 cm

Body Measurements From Past Weeks
Normally I will only post the data above each Saturday. However, since this is the first time I am posting my Body Measurements, I thought it would be a good idea to include all of my past measurements up through today for the sake of completeness.

Date - Total Body Measurements - Weekly Delta - Cm Lost To Date
May 14, 2011_______1,009.5 cm
May 21, 2011_______1,002.5 cm______7.0 cm_______ 7.0 cm
May 28, 2011_______ 995.5 cm_______7.0 cm_______14.0 cm
Jun 04, 2011_______ 988.5 cm_______7.0 cm_______21.0 cm
Jun 11, 2011_______ 981.5 cm_______7.0 cm_______28.0 cm
Jun 18, 2011_______ 976.0 cm_______5.5 cm_______33.5 cm
Jun 25, 2011_______ 970.5 cm_______5.5 cm_______39.0 cm
Jul 02, 2011_______ 964.0 cm_______6.5 cm_______45.5 cm

Measurements In Centimeters On: 05-14-2011, 05-21-2011, 05-28-2011, 06-04-2011, 06-11-2011, 06-18-2011, 06-25-2011, 07-02-2011
Right Thigh: 71.5, 71.0, 70.5, 71.0, 70.5, 68.0, 68.5, 68.5
Right Calf: 53.0, 53.0, 52.5, 52.5, 52.0, 53.5, 53.0, 51.5
Right Ankle: 29.5, 29.5, 29.0, 29.0, 28.5, 29.0, 28.5, 28.5

Left Thigh: 75.0, 74.5, 74.0, 73.0, 72.5, 70.5, 70.5, 72.5
Left Calf: 54.0, 53.0, 53.0, 52.0, 53.0, 53.5, 52.5, 52.0
Left Ankle: 30.0, 29.5, 29.5, 29.5, 29.0, 29.0, 29.0, 29.0

Right Arm: 39.5, 39.0, 38.5, 38.5, 39.0, 38.5, 37.5, 38.0
Right Forearm: 35.5, 35.5, 35.5, 35.5, 35.0, 34.5, 34.5, 34.0
Right Wrist: 21.0, 21.0, 21.0, 20.5, 20.5, 20.5, 20.5, 20.5

Left Arm: 45.0, 44.5, 44.5, 45.0, 44.5, 44.0, 43.0, 41.5
Left Forearm: 36.5, 35.5, 36.0, 35.5, 35.0, 36.0, 34.5
Left Wrist: 20.5, 20.5, 20.5, 20.5, 20.0, 20.0, 20.0, 20.0

Neck: 47.5, 47.5, 46.5, 46.0, 46.0, 46.0, 45.5, 45.0
Chest: 151.0, 149.0, 148.0, 148.0, 146.0, 145.0, 145.0, 143.5
Waist: 168.5, 169.0, 166.0, 164.0, 161.5, 160.5, 161.0, 158.0
Hips: 131.5, 130.5, 130.5, 128.0, 128.5, 127.5, 127.0, 126.5
Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #18
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Hey Luke!
I started at 40+ % bodyfat as well...stick with what you are doing and you'lyl be fine. CrossFit and the diet recommendation works. I've encountered just about every stumbling block a fatty can have. Let me know if you have any questions...
Hi Jason,

Many thanks for your words of encouragement and citing your own successful example. I am sure I will hit some roadblocks along the path. When I do, I will be sure to accept your kind offer of advice.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel
Luke, just curious - How did you get from what you were eating previously into a PaleoZone diet? I read many people who say they started by cutting out one or two things at a time from their shopping lists and over the course of time got to the point where the only thing in their house is Paleo or Zone foods simply because they ate the rest of the stuff, but that took them months! You sound like you just simply decided to switch eating style/diet and trashed everything in your house to start anew.
Thanks for expressing your appreciation for my posts Dustin. Your encouragement helps motivate me to continue posting.

How did I get from where I was diet-wise to the PaleoZone? Actually, it was a combination of the two methods you outlined. I gradually started shopping Paleo foods, and gradually ate through non-Paleo foods in the house, but didn't replace them. However, along the way, from time to time, I would just toss some unhealthy foods that I knew I wasn't going to use. For example, I chucked half-a-gallon of cheap peanut oil, which is a very non-Paleo food, and quite unhealthy besides. (Did you know that research scientists studying atherosclerosis feed peanut oil to lab rats to induce the condition so they can experiment on them?)

However, to accomplish all of this, you first need to figure out what your grocery shopping list is. What are all the Paleo-compliant foods which you and your wife will eat? Once you have that, start shopping exclusively from that list. And as you go along, eat or donate or toss the non-Paleo foods already in the house that you want to exclude from your diet. Finally, at some stage of this process, it would help if you and your wife pick a firm date when you will go totally Paleo, and then stick to that committment.

Friendly warning! There is an adjustment phase as you move from your current diet to the Paleo Diet. It usually take a few days, or possibly a week. Symptoms vary, and can include irritability, insomnia, poor energy levels, too much energy, etc. Run a Google search of Paleo bloggers to find out what they experienced. Or, read Corain's or Wolff's books to get an idea. As you remove cheap starches and sugars from your diet, your brain rebels because it is going though withdrawal symptoms. But once you come out on the other side, you feel much better. My mental alertness is much better. My physical energy level is much improved too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel
I'd personally like to see some of the recipes you use to prepare your food or menus we can use also (meant as a helpful hint).
Not a problem. Late next week, I'll be posting a typical daily menu of what I eat, including brief recipes for all six meals, along with photographs if I can upload them properly. I'll include more information about how I use web-based tools to plan my recipes, and how I put together a recipe rotation scheme so that I eat a wide variety of foods throughout the week.

Before then, though, I will have two other posts. One is about an easy way to ensure you are eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. The other is a terrific reference book I found which details the world's healthiest foods, along with all sorts of great information about nutrition and health. Stay tuned....
Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
So this is where I'm going with all this: These forums are plagued with folks who have seen great success following an unmeasured Paleo Diet. These people eat 3 banans a day, raisins, tubers in their post-workout meals, apples, berries, pineapple, wine and dark chocolate. And I just have to say... WHAT THE F---?
Yeah, some people can get away with a high-carb Paleo diet. They have "Metabolism A" and can eat lots of that stuff and never get fat. For those of us who answer Yes on a lot of those Metabolism B Survey Questions I posted earlier, well, we just can't eat lots of carbs and lose fat, no matter how Paleo those carbs are. That is why I switched to very low Glycemic Index vegetables and limited my carb intake, but not down to ridiculously low levels like the Atkins diet.

Now, once I am done leaning out, and I start working out, will I add more healthy carbs back into my diet? You bet! Especially for pre and post-workout meals. And I will also be drinking some milk to support my Starting Strength heavy weightlifting program. But for now, fat loss is the key, and for that I need to stick with a moderately low carb diet. That is just the way my metabolism is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
This has led me to wonder about different types of people and trying to identify them and classify them in Groups. Lately I have wondered if the way someone accumulates fat is any indicatorof this. For example, as I mentioned somewhere above: I don't get "hard fat", I get "soft fat", to use terms I've seen in tEh InTerWebz. By this I mean I don't grow a huge gigantic round belly with my belly button in line with the stretched skin. My belly bottom seems to stay back, my belly doesn't become gigantic, but alot of fat AROUND the belly button is accumulated, and at my sides, and I can "pinch" or grab this fat with my fingers/hand, where as those other guys with the huge-round bellies can't pinch their fat around their belly button.

I have found way more testimonials of people who were "hard fat" and got lean, than people who were "soft fat" and got lean. Does this mean I'm doomed to never get lean? All I can do is sit back and envy those who eat a crapload of fruit a day and while eating Paleo get ripped. I just can't. I've tried. For a long time, too, haven't been at this for just a few weeks..
Arturo, this is a fascinating question. I definitely have "soft fat" around my belly, and elsewhere, but mostly around my belly. Like Saint Nicholas from the poem, it shakes like a "bowl full of jelly". I have seen men with large, fat bellies, but which are rock hard compared to mine. That I can't figure out - how do they do that? It doesn't even wiggle when they move fast!

As for you and I, well, I think our answer is to lose a large amount of the fat following a very low glycemic index, moderately low carb Paleo Diet with plenty of protein and fat, but with restricted calories. Once most of the fat is off, start lifting weights to get strong and build some muscle mass, and then start doing CrossFit WODs and rely upon the intense exercise to take off the rest of the fat. Well, that is my plan anyway. I am confident it will work, but it will take a lot of hard work, persistence, and commitment.

Arturo, let me know how it goes if you now try something similar. Please post your results in this thread from time to time, so that other folks can know how it goes as well. I am hoping to attract a number of comments to this thread, and make it a really useful information source for severely and morbidly obese people who want to get into CrossFit.

Also, if you get the chance, post a query about the "hard fat" versus "soft fat" issues which you have raised in one of the forums, maybe "Nutrition" or "Fitness". I would love to hear what the CrossFit community has to say about this issue. If you do, please post a link to this thread. Thanks.