CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
Daniel Mead

Profile:
New. New and bearded.

Hey folks.

Figured I'd finally take the plunge and head for Crossfit, away from my previous traditional strength-training pursuit. The community aspect, scalability and undeniable results are just too much to resist any longer! I started yesterday and will be hitting lifting and metcon WODs from http://www.wodshop.org (WFS) on a 2 days on/1 day off basis until my body is sufficiently battle-hardened to go 3/1.

I've been lurking here for a good few months now and find it refreshingly free of the attitude which plagues other forums, so hopefully I'll put down some nice e-roots here and share in everyone else's endeavours.

What else to say about me? I'm a 30-something dude who cares about his wife, cat and beard (more or less in that order). Premature baldness has left me embittered and insecure, and I've sought to channel that into growing fuzzy face furniture and lifting heavy stuff and generally being in the best shape possible. I've only been training properly for about 1.5 years, so my journey is still in the early stages... which again is another reason I'm sliding into the clutches of CF, as the constantly varied routine will prevent me from ever getting bored.

So that's pretty much it for a rambling and incoherent introductory post. Looking forward to sharing and commenting. And, if anyone should ever need a punching bag, I am One Of Those Awful Vegan People, so that should be... interesting.

K, I go train now.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: New. New and bearded.

Hi and welcome

What kinda training have you been doing past 1.5 yrs? How much of that was crossfit?

And stop being a vegan
Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Daniel Mead

Profile:

I was mainly following the Wichita Falls variant of Starting Strength, then I began dropping in some Olympic lifts and kettlebell conditioning exercises.

I can't stop being vegan yet. I hate plants too much. They sting me and are responsible for my hayfever. Payback is going to be a long campaign.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

A cow ate my puppy, you should help me revenge too
Old 06-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I worked almost a year with a vegan client. It didn't work well. She is traveling for the summer but if she tries to come back I will not take her unless she adds animal products to her diet.

If you are eating vegan because you think it is healthy it is not.

If you are eating vegan because you think it is more human then I suggest you look into better live stock and farming practices. I believe you can align a healthy diet containing animal products with good treatment of animals and ecologically sustainable farming practices. It cost more but it can be done.

Sooner or later almost all vegans get sick as a result of poor nutrition. The diet doesn't support CrossFit style training. Your body simply cannot repair and rebuild itself.

Putting omnivores or carnivores on a herbivores diet will make them sick in the end.

I thought George Dvorsky's explanation for starting to eat meat again and his approach represented a good solution for vegans.

So I started eating meat again...

We can not change the diet our genetic make up requires. It is a simple fact like 1+1=2.

Good luck and stay open minded.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i love my beard too, grew my first beard about four years ago and went back and forth and typically shaved it from april until november. this year i kept it and i'm pretty much just bearded now.

as for being vegan, do whatever you feel is right, we only live once and we each have to live to our conscience, but just know that performance wise you will have a tougher go of it without eating things with parents and faces...
Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Check out the book "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith
Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
Daniel Mead

Profile:

Don't worry, I'm not labouring under the misapprehension that I'm eating absolutely optimally for athletic pursuits, or some kind of ethical yardstick, or saving the world or anything like that, I just happen to like being vegan right now. I've managed seven years as a vegan and I'm still alive and in robust health, and happy with my current level of physical performance. I take a lot of my nutritional cues from Mike Mahler, who I'm sure you folks are all familiar with.

There's an awful lot of misinformation pumped out by vegan folk when for the most part they are weak and weedy and sedentary and incapable of stringing together logical arguments. I'm hoping to break that mould somewhat, for the sake of my sanity if nothing else..

Fact of the matter is, I could wake up tomorrow and fancy some tasty, tasty bacon. If that happens, then... I'll just eat the damn bacon. I've got better things to do than to be a martyr to my diet.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Welcome and good luck on your journey Dan.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
James DeBella

Profile:

I'm Vegan as well and relatively new to crossfit. Thanks for your lack of martyrdom. Folks get crazy when it comes to food.