CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Edwin Bona

Profile:
New Guy here

So I have decided to start crossfit this monday. I'm 22 6'5 about 185 lbs. I used to train in Muay Thai and BJJ at a club all the time. Then I moved and got lazy, so I cant wait to start!

My main goals right now are basically to get back into great shape, and definitely to gain a bit of strength because i'm pretty tall and skinny right now.
I'll have more specific goals soon.

I'm going to go to a local affiliate here, they seem like great people so far. I'm going to a free class monday, then doing the fundamental courses and jumping right in. Just thought I'd post to say hello to everyone, and any advice you want to give is appreciated!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Wilfredo Flores

Profile:
Re: New Guy here

Hey Edwin,

Just thought I'd say hello back since we're on the same road. I have a few years on you (age wise that is), but just starting out on CF this coming Monday as well. I won't deny I'm feeling a little intimidated. However I'm sure I'll get through it fine. As you will. I suppose the only way to get wet, is to jump on in! The most formidable opponent will be my ego, so will have to keep that in check.

Good Luck,

Wilfredo
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Edwin Bona

Profile:

Hey,

Awesome, good luck to you as well.

Perhaps someone can give me some advice. I am working late shift, so I have to do CF in the mornings. With my schedule i basically have to get up at 8am, get the bus to the gym at 8:30 and start at 9am. I'm just wondering what i should be eating for breakfast. I don't want to eat too heavy, since I'll have to be training about 45~minutes after eating.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Eating before a workout is very individual. If I were in that schedule I'd probably just drink a protien shake and eat a piece of fruit before working out, then have a good meal as soon as I could stomach it after. Others would do just the opposite, or even skip the pre-workout meal. Try a few things and see what works best for you. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Morgan Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Bona View Post
Hey,

Perhaps someone can give me some advice. I am working late shift, so I have to do CF in the mornings. With my schedule i basically have to get up at 8am, get the bus to the gym at 8:30 and start at 9am. I'm just wondering what i should be eating for breakfast. I don't want to eat too heavy, since I'll have to be training about 45~minutes after eating.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I am in the same boat. Just added an extra day to my work out and it going to be in the early am. I think as soon as i get up 630-7ish going to drink a protein shake and eat some fruit like Jason Mentioned. This give me some time to digest the shake and fruit. Don't like working out right after eating makes me sick.

Oh and good luck with CF; going on my 2nd week and loving it
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Wilfredo Flores

Profile:

Quote:
Hey,

Any ideas?

Thanks
Thanks for the good luck return.

As far as eating before workouts, I tend to agree with the that it's really up to the individual. I make a smoothie in the morning and have some oatmeal with some fruit, but that's only because I'm used to eating before doing anything physically.

I was a dancer for about 25 years, and learned quickly that I needed to eat before class or rehearsal and performance, as I wouldn't know when I was going to eat again. There was a tremendous amount of energy expended between breakfast and/or a snack or lunch. So there I had to have food around all the time. I'm beginning to feel that Xfit is about as intense. (BTW, Xfitters will probably snicker at reading about one of us having been a dancer, but dancers are athletes and we have all the injuries to prove it. Was that defensive, or what? ) Seriously, though, take care of the body and it'll support what you demand of it.

Anyway, I say, eat lightly, you have an hour to digest before working out, that should be ample time to have a less empty stomach, but have had transferred some of that food into your system, enough to have some energy for the workout, your going to need it. Otherwise it would be like starting and driving your car on fumes. Your body may start using up muscle for energy. You don't have to have a 3 course meal. Try fruit, that will give you a glycemic boost, and a handful or two of nuts. Or a green food smoothie..you could make a bunch and it will keep for up to a week - instant breakfast. There are a lot of videos on Youtube. I make them when I have the time, and they do work.

I think the amount you eat would also depend on the intensity of your workout. So you may have to play around with your food intake until you feel right. I also figured out that since CF training is more demanding than weight lifting, I needed to eat more. I've been training on my own for a little while, but suspect that once I start at the local box, the workouts are going to be more intense, so I'll probably have to start eating more.

Sorry for the long answer. I'd like to know what you figured out for yourself.

W
Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Edwin Bona

Profile:

Thanks for the replies!
I'm looking into the green smoothies right now, definitely sounds like a possibility. I will most likely just be eating a quick smoothie, probably with a bit of oatmeal and fruit. Since I don't like to eat much before a workout either.

I'll post what I find works best.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Edwin Bona

Profile:

Just finished my free class and 3 fundamental classes yesterday. I'm just taking it easy for today and I'm going to go for my first real class tomorrow morning.
The protein shake with some greens and fruit in the morning seems to be working out fine.

Learning the barbell lifts has been fun, I've never done any barbell work before. Can't wait to get started!

I've been eating lots. I realized I was lactose intolerant after drinking milk+protein shakes. I guess ill switch to goat/soy milk.

Anyway, i'm sure ill be sore as hell after tomorrow. I'm planning to really push myself like usual.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
I've been eating lots. I realized I was lactose intolerant after drinking milk+protein shakes. I guess ill switch to goat/soy milk.
If it's available go for coconut milk, it is by far the healthiest option if you don't have an intolerance issue to coconut.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Edwin Bona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
If it's available go for coconut milk, it is by far the healthiest option if you don't have an intolerance issue to coconut.
Is it expensive? I'm also spending most of my money at the local box.