CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: The Call Out - Tahoe Throwdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Danley View Post
As for the range of motion issues...I think they were both getting depth, but the judges were asking for a full opening of the hip and Orlando was clearly not doing so. Personally, I think a full opening of the hip on a back squat is silly because you have to move the bar out from over the middle of the foot, which is the most stable and safe position. When you open up all the way, the bar is moved back over the heels (or else you are leaning way forward to compensate).
Form/judging would get really sloppy really fast if the definition of full range of motion was "almost fully open hips." Not really "observable, measurable, repeatable."
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Kyal Sheumack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Danley View Post
Tony Budding said during his commentary at the CF/USAW Open that Lipson and Orlando and some others made a drive through Cali, stopping at multiple affiliates on the way and completing challenges/WODs. He said it should make for some "epic" (his favorite word apparantly) Journal videos in the near future. I'm assuming that the 225# back squats for 20 reps was one of those challenges.
Dave Lipson and Rob Orlando on the road together? Sounds terrifying! Hope they post those video journals soon.

That couples challenge looked brutal; plenty of different components. Matt Chan looked like he could've stood there all day with that bar racked waiting to press. It was nice to see some less-conventional objects/movements being incorporated.

Does anyone know what the video that was posted last week with Jason Khalipa on the paddle was taken from?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
Samy Natour

Profile:

WOW, I wasn't expecting Mikko to run the hill that fast...
Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Evan Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyal Sheumack View Post
Anyone else see some serious range of motion issues with the call out posted today? 225lb backsquat, 20 (questionable??) reps for time.

(http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._Backsquat.wmv / http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._Backsquat.mov LINKS WFS)

Does anyone know which WOD they are talking about when they were commenting on these two going at it during the roadtrip?

Talk about any easy week in regards to finding motivation to take with you to training!
Yes, I only watched it once but I remember thinking several times that Lipson did not have full ROM. On several attempts I even thought he didn't break 90 degrees.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy Natour View Post
WOW, I wasn't expecting Mikko to run the hill that fast...
Mikko is bionic. I remember watching his sisu video. He hits the track a lot and runs 7k pretty much every morning across trails. Honestly, if he had buckled down on his skills this last year he would have at least gotten 2nd if not 1st at the games. There were lots of workouts where he brought it hard but he just didn't have the skill set to keep up, and when you're capable enough to do something but just can't (like DU's) sometimes the lack of skill gets to you're head and frustrates the crap out of you. Looking forward to next years games.

That Khalipa video was brilliant, I hope we see it in context cause I'm still not sure what they were doing.

Also someone commented on mainsite how some of the girls beat Holmberg and some people were saying it was because of bodyweight and muscle mass ratios because of the altitude. Does not compute because Mikko weighs the same as Graham.

Last edited by Jordan Derksen : 10-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Also someone commented on mainsite how some of the girls beat Holmberg and some people were saying it was because of bodyweight and muscle mass ratios because of the altitude. Does not compute because Mikko weighs the same as Graham.
Holmberg was recovering from a cold.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
John W McCullough

Profile:

These videos, in my opinion, have been the most well-put together CF videos. I like that we get see the more social sides of the athletes in addition to there athletic prowess. It seems like so much fun!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
Peter Nelson

Profile:

yeah looks like a good time, wish I could just randomly go somewhere to hangout and workout for a weekend
Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
Paul Victor French

Profile:

That last workout was awesome, certainly looked like Rogue had it but Barber had one hell of a sprint in him at the end.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
Paul Victor French

Profile:

At 6:40 ish of that last wod (#12), why was there a boat in the one frame, and not the other?