CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Esa Virtanen

Profile:
Lactic Acid - Anaerobic training

Do you guys feel that you start producing lactic acid on the WoDs when you are going on really hard?

I swum for about eight years on high level and many times I felt that the lactic acid kicked in and it felt like I couldn't get forward, specially on the 100-200m sprints.

So, in the WoDs, does it mean I go too easy or is it just that I get enough air going all the time or that my lactic acid trigger level is quite high? Of course I get tired like most but it's more like the "ugh, my legs are tired, need to take a few breathers before next rep" than "can't..keep..going" feeling.

Some times a week I add in some anaerobic training(without oxygen) to increase my lactic acid trigger level. A favourite is:

KB swings 1->5->1. Deep breath, 1 swing, deep breath(hold it), 2 swings, deep breath(hold it), 3 swings and up to 5 and down. Really a pain in the legs, just as I used to get while swimming or I do it with sprints:

10*X-meters of: Starting Line: Push out all air from the lungs->Sprint like no tomorrow until you can't keep going. Rest 20-40s between reps.

Keep up the good work! Thanks

PS: Do you guys do any kind of anaerobic workout or do you get enough of it in the normal WoDs?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Lactic Acid - Anaerobic training

I think there's way too much thinking going on here...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Esa Virtanen

Profile:

I write what I think And some anaerobic training should be really good for quick/intense workouts like some of those in crossfit. Anyone know what the founder/other affiliate wod writes think about it?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa Virtanen View Post
I write what I think And some anaerobic training should be really good for quick/intense workouts like some of those in crossfit. Anyone know what the founder/other affiliate wod writes think about it?
Many CF workouts are anaerobic in nature. I'm not sure why you would need additional anaerobic training on top of that.

If you aren't getting anaerobic training with something like Fran, you're not going hard enough. Try reducing the weight to increase the metcon impact.

Katherine
Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Esa Virtanen

Profile:

Might be that I get lactic acid produced in Fran, just doesn't feel like it.

I hit 5:24 for two weeks ago, 2,5min better than from the beginning of the summer!(really happy:P), I can do the pullups in a row, but I have to pace the thrusters a bit. The 5:24 time gave me 11+7+3(21), 5+5+5(15), 5+4(9) so it feels like I'm going for it when I do it.

Gotta think about this...
Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Might be that I get lactic acid produced in Fran, just doesn't feel like it.

I hit 5:24 for two weeks ago, 2,5min better than from the beginning of the summer!(really happy:P), I can do the pullups in a row, but I have to pace the thrusters a bit. The 5:24 time gave me 11+7+3(21), 5+5+5(15), 5+4(9) so it feels like I'm going for it when I do it.

Gotta think about this...
Drop the weight to the point where you can do the thrusters unbroken. Or even use PVC. 5:24 is a good time, but see how you feel with a weight that lets you do it in 3-4 minutes.

As Rxed, most CF workouts train both aerobic and anaerobic pathways. But if anaerobic bludgeoning is what you want, the opportunity is certainly there.

Katherine
Old 09-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I think there's way too much thinking going on here...

Lol, I think you are right.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

I think the nuthsell is that you are too weak to get that lactic acid burn with the WODs as prescribed.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Richard Guerard

Profile:

Quote:
Do you guys feel that you start producing lactic acid on the WoDs when you are going on really hard?

I swum for about eight years on high level and many times I felt that the lactic acid kicked in and it felt like I couldn't get forward, specially on the 100-200m sprints.

So, in the WoDs, does it mean I go too easy or is it just that I get enough air going all the time or that my lactic acid trigger level is quite high? Of course I get tired like most but it's more like the "ugh, my legs are tired, need to take a few breathers before next rep" than "can't..keep..going" feeling.

Some times a week I add in some anaerobic training(without oxygen) to increase my lactic acid trigger level. A favourite is:

KB swings 1->5->1. Deep breath, 1 swing, deep breath(hold it), 2 swings, deep breath(hold it), 3 swings and up to 5 and down. Really a pain in the legs, just as I used to get while swimming or I do it with sprints:

10*X-meters of: Starting Line: Push out all air from the lungs->Sprint like no tomorrow until you can't keep going. Rest 20-40s between reps.

Keep up the good work! Thanks

PS: Do you guys do any kind of anaerobic workout or do you get enough of it in the normal WoDs?
A few questions/points--

1. Claiming you swam competitively at a "high level" is unnecessary. There are now many former athletes floating around crossfit- dont stroke your own ego. Besides, most elite athletes wont publically claim to be of such caliber.
2. In all my years of swimming, ive never heard anyone use the term lactic acid "trigger". Lactic acid threhold, occassionally. In any event, I believe that lactic acid can be reprocessed in the body. Didn't crossfit endurance post an article weeks back on this issue? Someone please correct me if im wrong...thank you.
3. One of the ways in which crossfit vs. swimming stimuli are different is that a typical crossfit wod includes multiple movements, hence different muscle groups are used to complete the "work". If you are looking for a similar stimulus, try doing 3-5 min max repetition efforts w/a light weight or run 4x400m repeats for fastest average (give yourself 2 mins rest btwn repeats).

Example (for men)- 5 mins max reps of DB Clean and Jerk (2x35#). While the 35# DB represents sub-40% of my 1rm clean and jerk (converted from BB to DB's), the muscular failure hits like a freight train around min #2.

Shane- im sure the stimulus mentioned above is similar to the Secret Service Snatch test, am I wrong?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Try doing the Tabata protocol for anything...
20s of work, 10s of rest, repeat for 8 rounds
Push-ups
Pull-ups
Sprints
Rowing
KB swings
Squats
Burpees
Sit-ups

The list goes on.