CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:
"A Song of Ice and Fire" Thread

Can we get a George R R Martin thread going up in here? I know I can't be the only fantasy fan. Of course this can also be the place to discuss other great speculative fiction.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Ray Ambury

Profile:
Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire" Thread

I've read a ton of David Eddings recently. I read his Troy books, thought they were great even though it could be hard to keep track of the characters and wanted to see how he'd developed from his early work so read the whole Drenai collection. When I got the Troy books it was a toss up between them and the collection you mentioned by George RR Martin. Once I'm through Steven Pressfield's: Gates of Fire I intend to move on to these. So I should be able to start chiming in in about a week I hope (it's pretty busy for me this Summer so my reading time is getting cut into).
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ambury View Post
I've read a ton of David Eddings recently. I read his Troy books, thought they were great even though it could be hard to keep track of the characters and wanted to see how he'd developed from his early work so read the whole Drenai collection. When I got the Troy books it was a toss up between them and the collection you mentioned by George RR Martin. Once I'm through Steven Pressfield's: Gates of Fire I intend to move on to these. So I should be able to start chiming in in about a week I hope (it's pretty busy for me this Summer so my reading time is getting cut into).
I'm not even exaggerating when I say that A Song of Ice and Fire is the best fantasy I have ever read. But be warned, GRRM is currently taking his sweet time in finishing the fifth of seven planned novels (the most recent book was released in 2005, ffs) so I would wait a few months before digging into that, because you will probably get hooked. But if you time your reading so that you're finishing A Feast for Crows around the time that A Dance Wit Dragons is finally released, you may suffer a little less blue balls than the rest of us.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Andrew Sharp

Profile:

They are doing an adaptation of Song of Ice and Fire for HBO. Its supposed to air in April or May of 2011. Hopefully they do a good job.

It is a really good series but Jacob isn't kidding when he says GRRM is taking his sweet time. I'm not sure I'll read the next one. Its been so long since i finished the last one that I don't remember what has happened and don't intend to re-read the entire series.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sharp View Post
It is a really good series but Jacob isn't kidding when he says GRRM is taking his sweet time. I'm not sure I'll read the next one. Its been so long since i finished the last one that I don't remember what has happened and don't intend to re-read the entire series.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Matthew Fox

Profile:

I love good fantasy so will definitely check some of this stuff out. I've read a lot of Terry Pratchett's discworld books which are just awesome. Terry Goodkind's sword of truth series is great too.

I remember reading the dragonlance chronicles when I was younger, would like to pick these up again too.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Beth Eternick

Profile:

Everything I've seen so far for the adaptation looks beautiful.

On a related note, I would like this (although it probably isn't happening, *lol* ) http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/sw...rk/prod_3.html (wfs)

I've read a lot of David Eddings' books, and although I like the Belgariad & Mallorean books - and the Elenium & Tamuli - so much of both came off the same outline it's a bit annoying. Still, I suppose you have a great formula, why not try it again?

Currently dealing with fawning adoration of "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book even more than Dance With Dragons! I hadn't expected that one. o_0

On the Discworld note, I heard a little while back that Pratchett is getting back into Sci-Fi. I'll probably pick it up, what little I've seen of the basis I liked.

One of these years I might finish Rand al'Thor's story... the books started getting so long and complicated that I'd lost track of what I'd read. :/
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Fox View Post
I love good fantasy so will definitely check some of this stuff out. I've read a lot of Terry Pratchett's discworld books which are just awesome. Terry Goodkind's sword of truth series is great too.

I remember reading the dragonlance chronicles when I was younger, would like to pick these up again too.
Love all the discworld books, sometimes when i was waiting for a bus and reading one of his books people would look at me funny when i just bust out laughing.

I also really enjoyed the harry potter books,not the films!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Ray Ambury

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Eternick View Post
I've read a lot of David Eddings' books, and although I like the Belgariad & Mallorean books - and the Elenium & Tamuli - so much of both came off the same outline it's a bit annoying. Still, I suppose you have a great formula, why not try it again?
Whoops, I'm a muppet. I was talking about David Gemmel not David Eddings. I've read the Belgariad series but came to the same conclusion as you, Beth. The books were fun at first but became too repetitive.

Thanks for the advice Jacob. I've read the Painted Man and Desert Spear by Peter V Brett but the wait for the Desert Spear and the current expected wait for The Daylight War I find frustrating (and similarly with the latest Trudi Canavan series I've recently read The Ambassador's Mission and now have to wait for The Rogue in 2011). So think I'll leave Mr Martin for a couple of months.

The Discworld stuff is great. Really easy reading with, what I find at least, great humour. Harry Potter I also really liked, again it's fun and easy reading even if it does get dark towards the end. The very finish of the books I found a little cheesy but I think that actually suited it.

If the rest of the Dragonlance stuff is anything like the Twins series then I'm going to skip that. Really didn't like those books, I just kept reading assuming something was actually going to happen
Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I'm a muppet"

Frank Oz's had is up your ass?