CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Brock Wilson

Profile:
Re: What motivates you DURING a WOD?

GREAT THREAD!

For me, progress in a lift or a WOD is observable, measurable evidence that I am offsetting or minimizing the slow, inexorable creep towards dysfunction, old age, and death.

Seriously.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
fat chicks?
Need lovin' too.

Seriously, for me it's the thought that it'll be over soon.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
Michelle Alexander

Profile:
Red face Re: What motivates you DURING a WOD?

My motivation is trying to smoke someone on the WOD. It isn't that I am cocky or any good..(I just started Crossfit) But, I like winning. If its just me doing the WOD..I end up gaming it and pacing myself.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Doing something I don't think I can do - and that amazing feeling afterwards. In the beginning every workout looked impossible...nowadays, even if it looks "doable" I will push it by putting on 5 more pounds than i think i can do, doing a couple more reps when i want to rest, picking up the pace when im running instead of slowing down...
Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I know that when I'm standing there staring at the bar I'm not getting any closer to being done. So if I just keep chipping away at least I'm getting somewhere.

I also post all my workouts to facebook from btwb. And it's a bit embarassing when I have to post that Isabel took me over 30 minutes and that it took me 55 reps to have 30 successful snatches
Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

Bo, first and foremost, it's awesome that the wifey is WOD'ing with you! One thing I used to do when my wife was working out with me (lasted about 2 months or so), I'd scale the WODs for her and tell myself I wanted to beat her while doing things as RX. That doesn't work with every WOD though.

Now that I'm back to doing things by myself, I just keep telling myself "someone else is smoking you right now". That and many other forms of self-degradation usually make me get back to it....haha. I gotta say that it's really tough by yourself. Not many people can really go that extra mile (see Ben Smith) alone in their garage/basement/yard. I think that has really hindered my endeavors to be competitive in CF. One of the boxes nearby just moved to within 10 minutes of me so I went on Saturday to check it out and I had no idea what everyone in the class was capable of, so I told myself I had to beat everyone there...because if I can't beat them, I can't make it to Regionals. Turned out to be a great motivator. I plan on joining in September post summer vacations. Like others have stated, being held accountable and comparing yourself to others is the ultimate motivator. On that note, I'll be watching your Training Log...assuming you are still keeping it updated.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Hatebreed.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
Brent Eno

Profile:

The most interesting and best part of Crossfit for me is the internal battle that goes on both before and during a WOD. I don't really care what anyone else's time or weight was(but it is great that they post the results from guys like Speal and Khalipa). Everytime I do a workout, I always try to make a game plan before. I tell myself," I'll rest when I get to this rep", or,"I'll do sets of 10 then take a few deep breaths and keep going...". It is so hard to ignore the pain during a WOD and convince yourself to keep going and stick to your plan, even though you know you physically can. Your body just screams at you to take a break, but you push through. Every time this happens, I learn so much about myself, and it gives me a huge boost of confidence. It is also very humbling, especially to simply complete a brutal WOD to honor fallen heros. This is why I love Crossfit.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
Byron G Trafton

Profile:

What motivates me is a torn ACL. If I'd been stronger into the tackle I wouldn't have torn my ACL and had to deal with the cavalcade of problems that followed. So when I run, push, pull, WOD all I think of is each time I slow, put the bar down, or lose my motivation I think to myself "No! Move". It's great on runs where you feel yourself slowing, or when you come off the bar for a breather.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
Troy Becker

Profile:

If I've done it before, it's to beat my last time.

If I'm in a certain frame of mind, it's to not be a pansy when I don't let my trainees get away with anything.

Most of the time... I don't know.