CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Kevin Simons

Profile:
Programming for the 2011 Games

Iím looking for advice on some long term programming. I wasnít able to make it to sectionals this year due to injury, but I want to be a contender in 2011. I have only been CrossFitting since the end of the summer and donít have any real experience with periodization in this sport. I have learned a few things I think should be relevant:

-Strength/power takes the longest to develop and can be retained relatively easily.
-Metcon ability = easy come, easy go. It took me about 3-4 months to really develop what I think is close to adequate for couplets/triplets.
-Endurance, from what I have read, can be almost fully developed in about 6 months of hard training. It can compromise strength training though. And I hate it, lol.
-Building work capacity to complete multiple events in one day- I really donít know how long this takes..? Any experience? I am guessing that intensity is likely to suffer, however, and probably shouldnít be done long term.

What sort of progressions would you guys recommend over the course of the next few months?

What I am pretty sure of:

Movements will always be functional, constantly varied, executed at high intensity. I will always be working through all energy systems, the only thing that really changes is the emphasis of the cycle.

I think I will start with a focus on strength, power, and top end speed because they are the slowest to develop. Olympic lifting, some power lifting, sled drags, short and brutal heavy metcons, and a bunch of sprint work of different intervals on the track and C2. Always with the emphasis of adding more weight, not more volume, with just enough metcons and lighter stuff to maintain my current levels. This is what I'm doing now, check out my log.

When I get my maxes up where I want them, I think I will gradually start working in more volume and longer workouts with those heavy weights. Gradual progression back to Crossfit duration WODs with heavy weights.

About 4-5 months out I will start working back to lighter more CrossFit type weights at break-neck speeds to really develop my metabolic conditioning. I may even go back to mainsite to make sure I donít have any glaring weaknesses. Just enough additional strength work to maintain.

1-2 months out my max outputs should be about where I want them, and I can start doing two or three-a-days to prepare for the games. Iíll most likely just do a sectional every cycle. I am thinking something like 2On/2Off to ensure adequate recovery.

1 week out- some light stuff to maintain levels and totally rest up for the competition.

Iím not really sure where to work the longer stuff in (the 5ks, 10ks etc.).
----------
Like I said though, I donít have any real experience with this. I just came up with this based off my own (limited) experiences, a bunch of theory Iíve read on the boards, and some textbooks. If anybody has experience training athletes or preparing for the games themselves, please help me out. What has worked well, what hasnít? What am I missing?
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
James Forshaw

Profile:
Re: Programming for the 2011 Games

Considering the games favour the strong... have you tried Crossfit Football? A solid, consistent year of that (more, since 2010 games aren't yet here), coupled with smart eating and rest and you'll be set. You can select linear progression or for slower progress in terms of the strength workouts, depending on your situation. If I was going for the games, that's what I'd do.

Last edited by James Forshaw : 04-02-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Highly recommend James Fitzgerald's programming at www.optimumperformancetraining.blogspot.com (w/f/s). It is specifically designed to prepare athletes to be in peak form for CF competitions. Not only has he placed well at all three Games (including a win), his programming has bred a disproportionate number of athletes who have qualified for Regionals this year.

Last edited by Stephen Flamm : 04-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Sounds like a pretty good idea. I've checked out your log and youtube videos. Pretty impressive stuff. I checked out your youtube page, after another poster noted you should either be competing in the games or your are a liar. I'd say you should be competing.

One thing I would do if I was training for the games is to focus on proper acceptable rom. I think most of your stuff looks good, but I don't think you are locking out on your dead lifts during metcons. You are knocking them out really fast, but if you get to competition and your reps aren't counting, its going to hurt.

I'm not even sure that your rom on the deadlifts isn't acceptable. It just looks to me that you aren't locking out.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick View Post
Sounds like a pretty good idea. I've checked out your log and youtube videos. Pretty impressive stuff. I checked out your youtube page, after another poster noted you should either be competing in the games or your are a liar. I'd say you should be competing.

One thing I would do if I was training for the games is to focus on proper acceptable rom. I think most of your stuff looks good, but I don't think you are locking out on your dead lifts during metcons. You are knocking them out really fast, but if you get to competition and your reps aren't counting, its going to hurt.

I'm not even sure that your rom on the deadlifts isn't acceptable. It just looks to me that you aren't locking out.
Range of motion is definitely short on deadlifts (lock-out at top), overhead squats (depth), thrusters (overhead position), and handstand push-ups (arms fully locked out at top). Fix the details. Focus on perfect movement. You are, without a doubt, strong enough to be competitive, and from your squat clean video it is clear that you're flexible enough to achieve proper depth. Do it every time.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Adam Acosta

Profile:

You're strong enough on the big lifts to qualify. Maintain that, add a bit to the deadlift, and really work on speed and power and then work on speed and power endurance. Those are going to be the big ones because the guys that win these events may or may not have great levels of top-end strength, but they can move the lighter weights prescribed for WODs (and their own bodies) very, very quickly, and their speed endurance is phenomenal.

One of things I learned from running is that the fastest guys in the mile or 800 are not the guys that are just flat-out fastest, but who can run the first lap or two most efficiently. Speed endurance and the economy of movement you learn from regularly practicing in that range can make all the difference. Basically, you can do a 2:09 Fran right now, but can you do a 3:00 Fran without breaking a sweat? You certainly have the capacity to, but you need to be able to actually do it. Pacing is very important in some of the events they throw at you.

Don't neglect aerobic conditioning, either. As much as there is a trade-off between elite levels of aerobic capacity and strength, you can build and maintain adequate levels of aerobic capacity without interfering much (think of what 400m runners do). That's all you'll need, but don't think you can just do it overnight. A lot of the sectionals this year programmed some fairly long workouts and a lot of guys were just completely petering out toward the end of them, even very strong guys that could blow through a <5:00 WOD like it's nothing.

Finally, don't forget the skill component. Efficiency in the fundamental CrossFit movements isn't just a matter of conditioning and strength, but a matter of long-ingrained motor patterns. Practice the more complex movements often at low intensity in addition to building capacity in them at high intensity. Work on your weaknesses more than you work on your strengths.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Acosta View Post
Speed endurance and the economy of movement you learn from regularly practicing in that range can make all the difference. Basically, you can do a 2:09 Fran right now, but can you do a 3:00 Fran without breaking a sweat? You certainly have the capacity to, but you need to be able to actually do it. Pacing is very important in some of the events they throw at you.
Apropos of this, we had a "Speed Fran" workout the other day. Three times through, the first with PVC, the second with 11#, the third with 22#. Rest as needed in between. Men's target time is 3 minutes each, though you might want to set a tougher one and/or use heavier weights. 1 burpee penalty per second you go over. (Do the burpees at the end.)

Katherine
Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Don't forget about your diet, as that is key in order to feel good and continue to progress like you wish to. What is your diet looking like?

And I am working hard to see if I can get into the games too. My plans look similar to yours, except with a bit more strength emphasis (you're a lot bigger than I). Since May, I have done Crossfit Strength Bias (my own version because I don't want to spend a crap load on CF Journal) and have seen my weights move up drastically. I still do cardio in my Metcons at least twice a week. Around the end of August, I'm going to up my caloric intake by a lot (Paleo and Dairy, whole milk) and gain weight and strength by doing a strength biased CF model like I had been in the summer, with a lot more emphasis on my lifts. December on (the regional was in late March this year for me), I will focus on cutting the fat that I had gained, maintaining my lifts, getting my body weight abilities back to where they are now, and condition for endurance cardio.

By the way, the videos you post on youtube are great. You definitely could compete next year.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Unless something has drastically changed spending $25/year on the journal I wouldn't call a "crap load" but a healthy investment if you want to be a Games Competitor, as you need to be abware of the directions CF moves in so you can have some insight into where things are headed for the actual Games events...e.g. Notice all the swimming lectures that just so happened to be posted right after the 2010 Games ended? Just sayin'

To the OP,

I believe we chatted before and that you are an ex-gymnast...With that background and your current strength levels you should do well. I second the notion to look into OPT type of programming...You don't have to follow it letter for letter but study his cycling techniques (2 or so years of data, though he has morphed it from the CFJ Programming template) think about the energy pathways stressed with constantly varied modalities...he also throws some mentally tough WODs in there like the 100 2pd KB swings for time. That just blows to keep that KB moving for most of us. And the use of unbroken or penalty reps for putting the bar down mid-set are Extremely helpful tools even if you don't want to follow his style of programming.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
(my own version because I don't want to spend a crap load on CF Journal)
Yeah, $25/year is just exhorbitant, I tell you. All that money, and hardly any value in return.

Cmon. Really?

- Mark