CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Brian Nesmith

Profile:
Gymjones folks, first, love the site and all the great information on it, thank you.

You've got me interested in the 'breathing ladders' routines and wondered about some details if anyone has the time.

a. These are not like 'breathing squats' done for big mass gains, correct? You do them for control of stress breathing.

b. Do you get other effects, i.e. they are a great workout all alone. Do they still stimulate gains in other areas like traditinal breathing squats.

c. Do practioners find they get lowered fight or flight reactions in stressful situations beyond breathing like sweating, adrenaline.

d. Which movements have proven most profitable? Always a full body move like thrusters or cleans?

Thanks in advance, Brian
Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kind of been wondering about this myself.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I've been following Jones for a while, and breathing ladders are the devil. Doing them with swing is a winner because the compression at the bottom of the swing robs you of air, and the whole painless panic taste with a ballistic lift like that lets you fit in a lot of volume...first time my hamstrings weren't right for a week. Haven't tried cleans, but the "raw" and easy-to-cycle nature of swings made them more motivating than thrusters...but those sucked wicked bad too.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Brian Nesmith

Profile:
Thanks Kalen, I forgot to ask...No breathing during the movement, just between reps?

If so, do you hold your breath or do it empty?

I'm used to breathing out during compression, such as the bottom of a swing. It's a habit.

I don't want to overthink it but this is a fascinating new protocal to me.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
What I got from it was that it was just a way to time your rest in between "rungs" of the ladder.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Nah, you breath. That might be an interesting experiment, but part of the plan is prolonging the torture and uping the volume, so no, breathing is definitely on the menu. The idea of the breathing between, though I'm hardly an expert, is that to maximize rest, you need to slow your breathing down, and to make good use of that, they better be good n' deep. It's just a tweak of the normal ladder protocol that happens to have some interesting metcon capabilities. Kind of a self-regulating interval workout.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
mark twight

Profile:

There is some info at the following links:

http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20060111
http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20060112
http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20060116

This is a work in progress and we learn more every time one of our guys or girls tweaks something. The first link describes the two original goals of the method but more are popping up. Some movements work very well, others not so well. The KB Swing is good but Steve McNamara RKC first introduced the breathing ladder to us using the KB Snatch, which is probably a more effective movement due to the longer ROM but it's more technical and grip can also become a limiting factor. Power Cleans, Thrusters, Hang Cleans, Romanian Deadlifts have also been used with a variety of results. Once the Search function is up on the Gym Jones site info will be easier to access as it's a bit spread out at the moment.

Brian, I have no idea what 'breathing squats' are ...

Mark T.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
mark twight

Profile:

One more link to Breathing Ladder info:
http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20060110

This is a good example of using the Breathing Ladder to trick the body into a huge volume of work and allows an endurance type effort to be executed in a gym environment using a weightlifting movement.

Mark T.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Brian Nesmith

Profile:
Mr. Twight, thanks for your replies. I'm looking forward to trying them with thrusters again. My first experience was pretty weird and I don't think I was executing it correctly.

breathing squats are also called '20 rep squats' ttp://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/stephen.htmland popularized by the book 'Supersquats'
http://davedraper.com/super-squats.html