CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Nick Repertorio

Profile:
Jeet Kune do

Just started taking some classes for it, wondering if anybody around here is into it?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: Jeet Kune do

I did it for about a month, but I found that it's hard to learn. Basically, you learn every single martial arts form out there, and then you use what works for you. That's pretty hard to do when you're learning multiple martial art forms at the same time. I think it's easier to just learn all the martial art forms separately. That's how many of the Jeet Kune Do masters learned them anyways.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

I think it depends on the JKD school... I know some groups have formed their own JKD syllabus, so it's less like learning many styles and more like one amalgamation of various styles.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
I think it depends on the JKD school... I know some groups have formed their own JKD syllabus, so it's less like learning many styles and more like one amalgamation of various styles.
The one I went to offered jiu jiutsu, trapping, Kali weapons, and boxing/muy thai/Savate/etc. classes on separate days. For purely JKD, it was twice a week with trapping and the boxing/muy thai/etc. Even that was hard to learn, but I guess if it was organized really well, it could be done effectively.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
David Luu

Profile:

I am an JKD practitioner. I also do BJJ and have done all kinds of martial arts all my life. IMHO, it all about the teacher and what you want of it. JKD is be a great style. There is a great deal of depth and complexity to the system. JKD can be taught very direct and practical only dealing with what works on the street. JKD can also be taught as an art taking a lifetime to master. It all depends on the school you are going to and what you want to learn.

Congrats on starting the new school. I'm sure you will fine a lot to interest you.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Stephen Lipa

Profile:

For me I am definitely into it, but there are no schools that teach it near me. Plus, I have seen a few instructors in this area claim to teach it yet they have no formal instruction in it. These instructors have claimed to know it by stating that they use "what ever works". From what I have researched that is not the case, as there are very specific things that Bruce Lee taught that would work in a street fight. As I understand it, Bruce Lee also then tailored the instruction to students' specific abilities. As already said, it does boil down to who your instructor as to what you will be taught.

I was going to go to the annual fundraiser in CA in November, which has among other things, 2 seminars on JKD. The instructors are a host of 1st and 2nd generation students. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the funds together to pull it off, but if anyone from the forums goes, please let me know what your take was on it.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lipa View Post
For me I am definitely into it, but there are no schools that teach it near me. Plus, I have seen a few instructors in this area claim to teach it yet they have no formal instruction in it. These instructors have claimed to know it by stating that they use "what ever works". From what I have researched that is not the case, as there are very specific things that Bruce Lee taught that would work in a street fight. As I understand it, Bruce Lee also then tailored the instruction to students' specific abilities. As already said, it does boil down to who your instructor as to what you will be taught.
Yeah, there were several schools that I've seen that taught "Jeet Kune Do 'Concepts'" or just JKD and I saw no accreditation or anything that would indicate that they learned either directly from the original JKD from any of the instructors like Dan Inosanto or Ted Wong.

And in regard to a street fight, I remember an interview Bruce did with a reporter and they did some grappling. Bruce got the guy down on the ground and asked him what he (the reporter) should do next. The reporter had no clue and had a WTF look in his eye when Bruce said, "You Bite." A good point of "Whatever Works", but someone has to reprogram you to immediately understand that it's okay to do all the things that are a no-no in a professional fight setting (biting, eye-gouging, fish-hooking, groin shot, temple shot, etc) when your life is in jeopardy.