CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Randy vs Vera

Weird match-up.

What do you guys think?

I'll take Randy and think he'dd do basically whatever he wants.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Matt Corley

Profile:
Re: Randy vs Vera

Randy said he really wants interesting matches. I guess he wants to test his striking.

The challenge will be in the kickboxing, but if Randy gets Brandon in the clinch the fight is over.

Not really excited but if he wins maybe they'll set up another title run for Randy at 205.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Robert Woller

Profile:

I was hearing rumors of Randy versus Anderson Silva at 205. And while I would absolutely love to see that fight I was sceptical as Randy is coming off of a loss. Perhaps after he beats Vera that matchup will be more appealing to the masses.

BTW Captain America is my hero!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Celio Silva

Profile:

WHAT??? Really??????? Source please?

But if it's true: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has Boring Vera, I mean Brandon Vera, done to deserve to fight Captain America??? I don't get Joe Silva at times.

I know Randy wants to keep challenging himself, but against a guy who is going to dance around him?? Against a guy who currently has no place in the top 10 in the UFC LHW division??

It's obvious Vera will try to hit and run all night . This is the least appealing match-up I have seen Randy in since his fight against Varnsdale.

I can see Randy smothering Vera with his Greco-Roman and dirty boxing until he can GNP him into a TKO, but I can also see a MUCH faster Vera hitting and running all night and getting the nod from the judges at the end of 3 frustrating, scratch that, infuriating rounds.

This match up got nothing to offer Randy. Beating Vera will earn him nothing and losing to him will damage his image.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Scott Moore.

Profile:

I'm definately not excited about this fight. I think they needed to give Randy a psuedo-can in the LHW devision so they can give him another run at the title. Randy's been putting on good fights at HW but he's just undersized for that division. Vera has looked like crap since moving down to LHW and has been pretty boring in those fights.

Vera may run, but Randy is too smart and he'll eventually track Vera down and pummel him in the clinch before using some GNP to finish him off.

I see this as a UD to Randy
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
WHAT??? Really??????? Source please?

But if it's true: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has Boring Vera, I mean Brandon Vera, done to deserve to fight Captain America??? I don't get Joe Silva at times.

I know Randy wants to keep challenging himself, but against a guy who is going to dance around him?? Against a guy who currently has no place in the top 10 in the UFC LHW division??

It's obvious Vera will try to hit and run all night . This is the least appealing match-up I have seen Randy in since his fight against Varnsdale.

I can see Randy smothering Vera with his Greco-Roman and dirty boxing until he can GNP him into a TKO, but I can also see a MUCH faster Vera hitting and running all night and getting the nod from the judges at the end of 3 frustrating, scratch that, infuriating rounds.

This match up got nothing to offer Randy. Beating Vera will earn him nothing and losing to him will damage his image.
Source UFC.Com Link WFS

I'm with you Celio, Randy is in a whole different class than Vera. Vera is an overrated fighter that is not even gatekeeper material. The UFC machine has done well hyping Vera.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Joe Fortenberry

Profile:

randy is old and slow, and how long has it been since he's cut to 205? vera is too technical, long, and much quicker than randy. randy's only shot is to clinch and dirty box the WHOLE time. vera is no grappling slouch. randy's greco is probably better, but vera's is better than most. vera will use his leg kicks to set everything up since he won't really have to worry about randy shooting.

i like randy as much as the next guy (maybe not as much as some), but im getting kinda tired of seeing him going into these fights that he has a shot in, losing and then everybody asking "is this it for the natural?".
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

I actually have the same opinion. I believe that Brandon has a good chance of dropping Randy. Brandon is a really technical kickboxer and also a pretty good wrestler. Not to mention that Randy has a suspect chin now more then ever. If anyone does not deserve this fight it is randy. I love the guy but get sick of seeing him jump from super fight to super fight while never really earning the shot. God save randy if he decides to fight Anderson. Randys chin and anderson speed/power would be a short night. I would like to see vera be more aggressive in his upcoming fights, It seems he has lost some of that fire we saw against justin eilers and Frank Mir.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Vera is, besides Mir one of the most overrated fighters in the UFC. Don't believe the UFC hype machine. Vera will be outclassed in aspect in this fight.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Matthew Apostol

Profile:

Randy is still dangerous, no doubt. But his chin has weakend noticibly over the past few years. Anyone else think so? He's taken some hard shots in his career and it's starting to catch up with him. In the last fight, Nogeuira dropped him several times. Brock rocked him hard, too. That being said, though, I think Randy would man handle Vera once he got in the clinch.

But I echo what Celio said, this matchup offers Randy nothing...unless it's to get in line for a 205 title shot.