CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Evan Wharton

Profile:
Questions re: Push Jerk

I've never done this movement before (or even heard of it), so I wanted to get some thoughts before I did the WOD.

What kind of load should I be looking to do (compared to press)?
I can press 135x5 fairly easy; it seems like the movement would allow for more weight...but, as this is a new movement dropping weight to try to get better form seems wiser.

Front or back?
The exercise video demonstrations show both, is this just preference?

Is that jump in the latter half of the movement necessary?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Paul Sousa

Profile:
Re: Questions re: Push Jerk

I would try practicing form at a lower weight, but you are correct in that you shoudl be able to push press a good amount more than strict press. I could push press 175x5 when I was doing 135x5 for a strict press. I would stick with the bar in the front as it will help translate over to Oly work better (but variation is fun so by all means you can do both). And your feet should stay planted for a push press. A push jerk is when they would leave the floor.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Evan Wharton

Profile:

That's why I'm asking about a push jerk! (its the WOD)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Paul Sousa

Profile:

My reading comprehension is at a 2nd grade level.

But I think all except my comment about the feet leaving the ground still applies, with the only change being that you should be able to push jerk even more than push press.

Last edited by Paul Sousa : 09-10-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Evan- your feet leave the ground only enough to create the "weightless" effect so you can get under the bar. Its not really a "jump".

Hopefully some of the Oly folks will chime in with better cues.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Evan Wharton

Profile:

I guess I'll just say it is a little moving out of my "comfort zone", even though I've been in the weightroom for 10+ years, to be doing different movements than everybody else.

Coupled with the fact that its brand-spankin'-new, so my form will undoubtedly be off.

Oh well, thats why im here!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Brandon Fleeman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Wharton View Post
I guess I'll just say it is a little moving out of my "comfort zone", even though I've been in the weightroom for 10+ years, to be doing different movements than everybody else.

Coupled with the fact that its brand-spankin'-new, so my form will undoubtedly be off.

Oh well, thats why im here!
Well I tried the Push Jerk today for the first time at 115 pounds and pulled some muscle in my neck lol! Oh well, better luck next time I suppose.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

I'll do my best - the push jerk is a funky thing to describe in words. Most people when trying it out will want to lean forward on the first dip, then backward on the second. You want to be almost vertical the whole time. This allows for the best hip angle to utilize the glutes. Lifting shoes with their raised heel can help in this regard.

If your rack isn't comfortable (having the bar at the "front squat position), then you won't be able to properly jerk the bar. You want your elbows relatively high, but also you shouldn't be pinching your shoulder blades together. This is tricky for many people. The bar is on the delts, to the point where you can actually take your hands off of the bar and point your hands forward. You want to place your stance about hip-width (not the front protuberance, but the side - meaning wider than if you were simply jumping). Try not to "splot" too much - that is, to shift your feet laterally on the catch. It will inevitably happen, but it's not the absolute most effective way to do it.

Just like with any overhead pressing or jerking movement, the head has to tilt forward for the body to counter-balance that bar over your head and achieve the full range of motion. You should have a quick dip without any forward lean, get the head out of the way without becoming soft in the midsection, and then explode upward. The first dip is almost unimportant compared to the second dip. Now here comes the money part: your second dip (when the bar is floating to when you catch it and stand up with it) is deeper than the first. Everything is active - shoulders, midsection, glutes, hands, everything. And it is all centered over the heels. The movement has less of a wave than the kettlebell swing or the second pull of the clean and snatch. It is more of a vertical motion, but not perfectly vertical. The body will lean back a bit then snap forward to catch the bar. Just do everything you can to avoid doing the two cardinal sins (IMHO): leaning forward in the first dip and pressing it out at top, especially if you are leaning back and pressing. Bad habits.

Finally, when you get used to it, you should be able to achieve virtually the same numbers as in the split jerk, and much more than in the push press.

btw my #s today were 185-205-225-230-235, then 245-255 single split jerk for a PR. I'm a tall 220 lbs. I snatch 190 and still c&j 225, probably 235 next time I try it. Unless your squat numbers are obscene, then you should be able to jerk what you can clean.

Last edited by Andrew H. Meador : 09-10-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Evan Wharton

Profile:

Went 95-105-115-125-125 for the doing the push jerk for the first time.

Was trying the back (bar behind the head) for a little during warmups and didn't really feel all that comfortable.

Interesting movement, even though I know I didn't nail the form down right. I was a lot more winded than I thought I would be, due to the engaging of all the other muscles as compared to just a press.

I definitely need to work on the rack (fronst squat) positioning. I dunno, it feels extremely awkward to me when I try. I actually held the bar like I was doing a press, which is obv not correct but I guess wanted to work on the lower body movement more.

I read somewhere in the comments on the main page that this WOD doesn't really happen all that much? Sucks, sort of, would like to nail down the form eventually.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Do it after the WOD for some skill work. Alot of people add stuff like this in order to get technique down.