CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #51
Michael DeLuca

Profile:
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

For the record, Randy is my all-time favorite fighter.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #52
Celio Silva

Profile:

Cool Michael, at least we agree on one thing Randy is also my all-time favorite MMA fighter!

For the record, my judging of fights is always unbiased. My pre-fight picks sometimes carry some bias though, like in the Maia vs Marquadt fight. Deep inside I knew Marquadt was going to KO/TKO Maia, but I still picked Maia to win by submission because it was what I WANTED it to happen.

My judging of fights, however, are strictly objective. I call it as I see it (or saw it). I unbiasely and undoubtely think Randy won that 1st round (granted it was REALLY close, with the second round following the same pattern till Randy got caught), but we can agree to disagree.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #53
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

I didn't mean to insinuate you were biased, just that by watching the fight with sound, you hear the fans oooh and ahhh and grazing and even missing punches. Just like judges ringside (or octagon side), you can be influenced by them to see things that don't exist because of cheers. Lesnar is a huge heel. Most casual MMA fans just view him as a WWE wrestler, and not an amazing mixed martial artist with a champion wrestling pedigree.

I still stand by my Randy not doing anything but stuffing a takedown the entire round.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #54
Brad Hendricks

Profile:

I don't really understand the animus toward Lesnar. He is an amazing athlete with a blue chip pedigree in collegiate wrestling. I read somewhere that he ran a 4.7 40 at 295 when he tried out for the Vikings. A big man with that kind of speed is pretty rare. His quickness on the mat is downright scary.

As a fan of the UFC, I appreciate his competitive nature. He shows up to fight in shape, he fights aggressively and he puts on a good show. I look forward to seeing him fight another big guy. I think he will do well on the ground against a big opponent. I would like to see him fight a guy his size with good striking power and a good takedown defense. A standing slugfest with two 300 pounders would be fun to watch.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #55
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post
Lesnar is a huge heel. Most casual MMA fans just view him as a WWE wrestler, and not an amazing mixed martial artist with a champion wrestling pedigree.
Dude hes a AMAZING first rate athlete with a top notch college wrestling background. I like Randy hes a hugely inspirational figure. However forget all that and just watch Lesnar move in the ring! Hes that size and that fast and powerful!

His training -

Top first rate, with a huge work ethic. Theres a few things you might improve tweak but not much! -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwnpo3VQZU WFS

Even his own training was old school and functional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTczMKtmvdQ WFS

Seriously i cant see how people can let WWF or his "working persona" stop them seeing how physically impressive the guy is!

Fedor maybe/probably could now.....but after Lesnar spends a few more years training as hard as he is presently? Aint gonna be many with the physical skills or talent to take him.

My 2 cents

EDIT oops just read the thread and i got the wrong end of the stick with your post there Mike!

Last edited by Tony Black : 10-05-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #56
Tony Black

Profile:

For any1 saying Lesnar wins without skill heres a nice little breakdown of his movements against Mir -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIDmNMisXQc WFS

He may be a classless winner - and even a jerk But that doesnt stop him being skilled in certain areas (ill agree he aint well rounded yet) , physically gifted with a huge work ethic.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #57
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post

Fedor maybe/probably could now.....but after Lesnar spends a few more years training as hard as he is presently? Aint gonna be many with the physical skills or talent to take him.

He's what - 32 or 33 now?

In a "few" more years, he'll be somewhere in his mid to late 30s.
Sure, Randy was able to do it as an "older" guy, but "BIG" guys don't tend to last very long due to physical/health issues.

I'm guessing a big YOUNG kid is going to rock his world. Who is it going to be? I have no idea... he's probably only in college right now.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #58
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Aint gonna be many with the physical skills or talent to take him.
There's a LONG list of people that those exact words were spoken of in fighting sports, and- with the exception of perhaps Mayweather, and he's still got time to lose- none have actually stood the test of time.

Lesnar's a big, powerful brute with exceptional speed for a guy creeping towards 300lbs, but someone will find a way to crack him. The big thing about Lesnar is that he's hard to form a strategy against, because big men are traditionally throwers, but Lesnar's best skills are on the mat. A guy that strong is nearly unbeatable on the ground if he knows what he's doing, and Lesnar does. So, how do you beat a puncher with amazing ground skills??

Beating him is a puzzle, but someone will figure it out, be it by luck or skill- That's the nature of puzzles: They're made to be solved.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #59
Brad Hendricks

Profile:

Jason-
I agree with you. That's why the UFC is so entertaining to me. Lesnar is now the mountain. It's gonna be extremely entertaining to watch guys try to scale that mountain. The thing is, with Lesnar's skills, competitive nature and work ethic, the mountain is gonna keep getting higher and steeper for awhile to come. The puzzle will get more difficult to solve. But you are right. Eventually someone is gonna come along who can do it. The quest to take him down will likely produce some extremely bad dudes in the UFC HW class. As a fan, I think this is a very good thing.