CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
Gaines DuVall

Profile:
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

I have some friends flying out from Colorado that know Carwin and one of my employees used to workout with him. They all say he is one hell of a guy.

I would love to see Shane Carwin as HW Champ. Not sure it will happen, but am hoping.

Anyone else going to the fight?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #22
Keith Landau

Profile:

It's been pointed out before, but I think that UFC is in trouble, in a sense, with Lesnar being the champ and no serious contenders.

And check out this video of Brock Lesnar doing Submission grappling training. He has some nice transitions and even does a fairly good armbar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4GA-zsQffk

So Lesnar might just submit Carwin. Can you imagine the power that he could put behind a jointlock?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #23
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post
Lesnar has fought in 6 less fights but has more ring time than Carwin.

Carwin's fights have all been quick.

I would say that no one has the experience edge in this fight..
Very true. I never thought about it like that.

Quote:
Carwin was a D2 all american champion wrestler. I would venture to say that Brock is going to make him look like he didn't even wrestle in high school. That's how big I think the gap is going to be.
I will not be surprised at all if that happens.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #24
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Landau View Post
It's been pointed out before, but I think that UFC is in trouble, in a sense, with Lesnar being the champ and no serious contenders.

Could you elaborate a little more on that? Why do you feel the UFC cares so much about having Brock as the HW Champion?

Like or Dislike for Brock doesnít matter, Brock sells PPVís and puts fans in the seats. Brock = $$$ for the UFC = Happy Dana = Happy Zuffa. Itís not about pride or honor of the UFC belt. Itís about money.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #25
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

[quote=Keith Landau;651200]It's been pointed out before, but I think that UFC is in trouble, in a sense, with Lesnar being the champ and no serious contenders.QUOTE]

So do you think they are also in trouble because Anderson Silva is the champ and has no serious contenders either?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #26
Michael Travis

Profile:

[quote=Gonzalo Fernandez;651404]
Quote:
It's been pointed out before, but I think that UFC is in trouble, in a sense, with Lesnar being the champ and no serious contenders.QUOTE]

So do you think they are also in trouble because Anderson Silva is the champ and has no serious contenders either?
Anderson is adored; Lesnar is abhored... Anderson is amazingly talented; Lesnar is not; Anderson weighs the same or close to his opponents (or is outweighed); Lesnar is much bigger than his so overpowering them is the only hat trick he has.

Maybe his skills will improve beyond his size being his only pro, and then he might possibly earn half the respect that Anderson has gained in his well-esatblished career.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #27
Keith Landau

Profile:

I think the UFC is super stoked about having someone as charismatic as Brock Lesnar in the title position. Note I said 'charismatic', which isn't the same thing as likeable. You wanna see what this guys does and says, even it makes you want to discharge an elephant gun at your television.

Even if you hate him but there's a chance that he's gonna get pounded, you'll probably buy the PPV. But if he's fighting someone most people have never heard of and everyone thinks, rightly or wrongly, that he'll probably just annihilate the guy, then not as many people will buy the PPV.

And yes, I think that they're also in trouble with Anderson Silva, except that they have a little bit of a bigger field of potential contenders, especially if GSP makes the jump up
Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #28
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:

And yes, I think that they're also in trouble with Anderson Silva, except that they have a little bit of a bigger field of potential contenders, especially if GSP makes the jump up
Hate to jump off topic here, but...

Why do people think that GSP vs. Silva is a good match?

Silva has creamed everyone in 185# and is now cruising through the 205# ranks.

GSP is a good sized 170#, but even at his largest, he's what - maybe 190#?

I don't think he could handle the size, strength, ability, talent and sheer awesomeness of Anderson Silva.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a hater. I really like GSP, but I do NOT think that is a good match for him. IF he could get inside of Anderson's reach (and pinpoint accuracy of his strikes), then he might get stuck in a clinch with him - and I highly doubt he'd be strong enough to work out of it.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #29
Celio Silva

Profile:

You are absolutely right Sean, and I have a feeling GSP agrees with you and will never take that fight, which would be very smart of him! As great as he is the Spider would be too much for him to chew.

Keith, did you just call Brock charismatic???!!! Maybe it's because I am not a native speaker, but I have always thought that's excatly what charismatic meant: likeable

Personally I neither dislike nor like Brock, but I'll sure will be rooting against him every time he fights!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #30
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Could you elaborate a little more on that? Why do you feel the UFC cares so much about having Brock as the HW Champion?

Like or Dislike for Brock doesn’t matter, Brock sells PPV’s and puts fans in the seats. Brock = $$$ for the UFC = Happy Dana = Happy Zuffa. It’s not about pride or honor of the UFC belt. It’s about money.
I agree with Keith Landau: "I think that UFC is in trouble, in a sense, with Lesnar being the champ and no serious contenders."

For my part, I think "dominators" like Lesnar / Silva may have a negative impact on the UFC because of the lack of competition. If you already know how it is going to end, why tune in? That gets boring in a hurry. I have no desire to pay to watch sacrificial lambs led to the slaughter. It is far better to have legitimate contenders. It is not Silva or Lesner's fault, but ultimately total domination of their divisions may work against them and the UFC. Heretofore the champions won, but did not seem "untouchable."