CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Michael DeLuca
Member Michael DeLuca is offline
 
Michael DeLuca's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Ephraim  NJ
Posts: 428
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Carwin has a tendency to stick his face out and drop his hands.

This looks great on paper, but Carwin is going to be delegated to the same pounding that Mir took.
__________________
Crossfit Level 1 || 30/6'/192 | CrossFit Tribe || Support Steve's Club - Steve's Original | w/f/s
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
Mike Kerce
Member Mike Kerce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jacksonville  FL
Posts: 655
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post
Carwin has a tendency to stick his face out and drop his hands.

This looks great on paper, but Carwin is going to be delegated to the same pounding that Mir took.
i have to regretfully say i agree...i don't see it as much of a fight at this point. i've only seen a few Carwin fights but i wasn't overly impressed...Gonzaga rocked him before Carwin simply overpowered him...he won't overpower Lesnar and i think Lesnar is just too aggressive and knows how to use his weight too well for the vast majority of fighters out there to handle. i'm interested, but quite skeptical of the matchup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Michael DeLuca
Member Michael DeLuca is offline
 
Michael DeLuca's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Ephraim  NJ
Posts: 428
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

both guys will be 280 on fight night.

this is a true super-heavyweight fight.
__________________
Crossfit Level 1 || 30/6'/192 | CrossFit Tribe || Support Steve's Club - Steve's Original | w/f/s
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
John Seiler
Affiliate John Seiler is offline
 
John Seiler's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Louis  MO
Posts: 1,687
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Last night I just re-watched Carwin knock out gonzaga with a shoulder punch (no hips)
Wasn't that crazy cool?! When we were watching the fight I had to rewind it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. ("Did he really just knock Gonzaga out with an arm punch?")

It's funny; I'm rooting for Carwin both because I like him and because I don't want Lesnar to be champ. I find it hard to root for Lesnar because he's been winning due primarily to his physical gifts. There isn't the kind of skill to appreciate with guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida, etc. But ironically in Carwin, I'm rooting for another monster. Ah well, at least my monster has some class.
__________________
www.gatewaycrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
Stephen Flamm
Affiliate Stephen Flamm is offline
 
Stephen Flamm's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cincinnati  OH
Posts: 511
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
arwin both because I like him and because I don't want Lesnar to be champ. I find it hard to root for Lesnar because he's been winning due primarily to his physical gifts. There isn't the kind of skill to appreciate with guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida, etc. But ironically in Carwin, I'm rooting for another monster. Ah well, at least my monster has some class.
While I see your point and generally agree, I have to give Lesnar credit for using his physical gifts in an intelligent manner. He knows what he's good at and sticks to it.
__________________
www.cincinnatistrength.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #16
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post
Carwin has a tendency to stick his face out and drop his hands.

This looks great on paper, but Carwin is going to be delegated to the same pounding that Mir took.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
i have to regretfully say i agree...i don't see it as much of a fight at this point. i've only seen a few Carwin fights but i wasn't overly impressed...Gonzaga rocked him before Carwin simply overpowered him...he won't overpower Lesnar and i think Lesnar is just too aggressive and knows how to use his weight too well for the vast majority of fighters out there to handle. i'm interested, but quite skeptical of the matchup.



Gonzaga did rock Carwin, but, Mir rocked Lesnar with a knee. Carwin has more MMA experience than Lesnar, yet Lesnar has bigger names on his record. I would to like to see Carwin win, but for some reason I still see Lesnar getting the W.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Joe Fortenberry
Member Joe Fortenberry is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 90
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore View Post
I would bet they will put Velasques against Mir and have Randy fight Lesner again if Randy beats Nog. Randy's only got one fight left on his contract after his fight with Nog and my guess is they'll want to give him one more big fight. If Randy then wins the title they can negotiate him to fight a few more times. If he losses, he can retire gracefully.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Carwin/Lesner fight. Lesner isn't going to be able to take him down as easily as he did Mir. I'd like to see them in the middle of the ring banging out like the two hulking gorillias that they are. I'd like to see Lesner's chin get tested for once.
velasquez is fighting ben rothwell at UFC 104.

i see brock winning by smothering, suffocating control. but it will be fun to watch 550 lbs of man bouncing around (athletically) until it goes to the mat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Andrew Maines
Member Andrew Maines is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waterloo  ON Canada
Posts: 3
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

I'm hoping Carwin takes it, can't wait either way...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Keith Landau
Member Keith Landau is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver  BC Canada
Posts: 21
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

I bet the UFC is quite worried about having someone as seemingly unbeatable as Brock Lesnar seated in the HW title.

They need to have a few legitimate threats to his supremacy before they set him up for the inevitable rubber match with Frank Mir again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Michael DeLuca
Member Michael DeLuca is offline
 
Michael DeLuca's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Ephraim  NJ
Posts: 428
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post


Gonzaga did rock Carwin, but, Mir rocked Lesnar with a knee. Carwin has more MMA experience than Lesnar, yet Lesnar has bigger names on his record. I would to like to see Carwin win, but for some reason I still see Lesnar getting the W.
Lesnar has fought in 6 less fights but has more ring time than Carwin.

Carwin's fights have all been quick.

I would say that no one has the experience edge in this fight.

Carwin was a D2 all american champion wrestler. I would venture to say that Brock is going to make him look like he didn't even wrestle in high school. That's how big I think the gap is going to be.
__________________
Crossfit Level 1 || 30/6'/192 | CrossFit Tribe || Support Steve's Club - Steve's Original | w/f/s
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMA Antichrist - Brock Lesnar Mark Knisely CrossPit 18 07-19-2009 07:47 AM
couture v. lesnar in UFC! Jay Ashman CrossPit 131 11-28-2008 12:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.