CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Michael DeLuca

Profile:
Re: carwin vs lesnar at 106

Carwin has a tendency to stick his face out and drop his hands.

This looks great on paper, but Carwin is going to be delegated to the same pounding that Mir took.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
Mike Kerce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post

This looks great on paper, but Carwin is going to be delegated to the same pounding that Mir took.
i have to regretfully say i agree...i don't see it as much of a fight at this point. i've only seen a few Carwin fights but i wasn't overly impressed...Gonzaga rocked him before Carwin simply overpowered him...he won't overpower Lesnar and i think Lesnar is just too aggressive and knows how to use his weight too well for the vast majority of fighters out there to handle. i'm interested, but quite skeptical of the matchup.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

both guys will be 280 on fight night.

this is a true super-heavyweight fight.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Last night I just re-watched Carwin knock out gonzaga with a shoulder punch (no hips)
Wasn't that crazy cool?! When we were watching the fight I had to rewind it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. ("Did he really just knock Gonzaga out with an arm punch?")

It's funny; I'm rooting for Carwin both because I like him and because I don't want Lesnar to be champ. I find it hard to root for Lesnar because he's been winning due primarily to his physical gifts. There isn't the kind of skill to appreciate with guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida, etc. But ironically in Carwin, I'm rooting for another monster. Ah well, at least my monster has some class.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
arwin both because I like him and because I don't want Lesnar to be champ. I find it hard to root for Lesnar because he's been winning due primarily to his physical gifts. There isn't the kind of skill to appreciate with guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida, etc. But ironically in Carwin, I'm rooting for another monster. Ah well, at least my monster has some class.
While I see your point and generally agree, I have to give Lesnar credit for using his physical gifts in an intelligent manner. He knows what he's good at and sticks to it.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #16
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
i have to regretfully say i agree...i don't see it as much of a fight at this point. i've only seen a few Carwin fights but i wasn't overly impressed...Gonzaga rocked him before Carwin simply overpowered him...he won't overpower Lesnar and i think Lesnar is just too aggressive and knows how to use his weight too well for the vast majority of fighters out there to handle. i'm interested, but quite skeptical of the matchup.

Gonzaga did rock Carwin, but, Mir rocked Lesnar with a knee. Carwin has more MMA experience than Lesnar, yet Lesnar has bigger names on his record. I would to like to see Carwin win, but for some reason I still see Lesnar getting the W.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Joe Fortenberry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore View Post
I would bet they will put Velasques against Mir and have Randy fight Lesner again if Randy beats Nog. Randy's only got one fight left on his contract after his fight with Nog and my guess is they'll want to give him one more big fight. If Randy then wins the title they can negotiate him to fight a few more times. If he losses, he can retire gracefully.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Carwin/Lesner fight. Lesner isn't going to be able to take him down as easily as he did Mir. I'd like to see them in the middle of the ring banging out like the two hulking gorillias that they are. I'd like to see Lesner's chin get tested for once.
velasquez is fighting ben rothwell at UFC 104.

i see brock winning by smothering, suffocating control. but it will be fun to watch 550 lbs of man bouncing around (athletically) until it goes to the mat.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Andrew Maines

Profile:

I'm hoping Carwin takes it, can't wait either way...
Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Keith Landau

Profile:

I bet the UFC is quite worried about having someone as seemingly unbeatable as Brock Lesnar seated in the HW title.

They need to have a few legitimate threats to his supremacy before they set him up for the inevitable rubber match with Frank Mir again!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post

Gonzaga did rock Carwin, but, Mir rocked Lesnar with a knee. Carwin has more MMA experience than Lesnar, yet Lesnar has bigger names on his record. I would to like to see Carwin win, but for some reason I still see Lesnar getting the W.
Lesnar has fought in 6 less fights but has more ring time than Carwin.

Carwin's fights have all been quick.

I would say that no one has the experience edge in this fight.

Carwin was a D2 all american champion wrestler. I would venture to say that Brock is going to make him look like he didn't even wrestle in high school. That's how big I think the gap is going to be.