CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:
When is enough enough?

As in, I am now happy with almost every aspect of my fitness. I'm strong enough, fast enough, and fit enough. I'm not elite in terms of Crossfitters, but I am elite compared to the general populace.

In terms of longevity, I think it's healthier (and a heck of a lot more fun) to reach good levels of fitness, then just maintain it. You have a good level of muscle, but don't strain your digestive and other systems by trying to pack on too much. You don't strain your nervous system with insane workloads. You don't strain your joints trying to force your tendons and ligaments to keep up with the newfound strength of your muscles.

You just cruise along, in my case with four workouts per week (still experimenting with this) and devote other time to play. It's like, I've done my work getting here, now I get to focus my energies on other parts of my life. Career, family, and such.

Anyone else in the same boat? If so, what were your levels of fitness when you decided you were satisfied with where you are?

A few of my numbers are: 2 x bodyweight deadlift, 1 minute 4 secs 400 m, 4:08 Fran, 24 round Cindy. One thing I never got (and only tried a couple of times) was a snatch, a good overhead squat I think for both because I never invested time in the technique and shoulder flexibility) and a muscle up.

Male 30 yo 100 kg give or take, and 6 feet.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #2
Mark Lanza

Profile:
Re: When is enough enough?

I think enough is enough when you think it is so. There's nothing wrong with being content with your times/lifts/etc and simply migrating to the maintenance mode of GPP.
That said, you may indeed decide a year or two down the road that you want to once again attack the box and cycle through a period where you push for PR's again.
I think your attitude is a healthy one -- you've accepted the fact that you are where you want to be at this time in your life.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Just remember that progressive/gradual overload is part of the game, ie. you increase the loads gradually and recover properly. Recovery is key, working in construction and lifting weights 3 times a week for a metcon are not even remotely the same in terms of stress, injuries, chronic conditions, etc...

If you are that concerned about stress on your body, I'd say job/life satisfaction and stress management, clean air, good food etc... will add many more years to your longevity than curbing training. Whenever I see a cardiologist for check up, I always hear about how short intense training coupled with relaxation is superior for the heart than wearing it out with daily long distance endurance cardio sessions.

For me personally, I think (a) If I am not improving at least slightly, I am getting worse, since chances of things staying the exactly the same are slim. (b) training should be fun, and seeing improvement/doing new things is motivating. That being said, I'd say for me that limit would be around 2.5*bw deadlift. More than that is starting to sound really scary.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bruce Mailman View Post
As in, I am now happy with almost every aspect of my fitness. I'm strong enough, fast enough, and fit enough. I'm not elite in terms of Crossfitters, but I am elite compared to the general populace.

In terms of longevity, I think it's healthier (and a heck of a lot more fun) to reach good levels of fitness, then just maintain it. You have a good level of muscle, but don't strain your digestive and other systems by trying to pack on too much. You don't strain your nervous system with insane workloads. You don't strain your joints trying to force your tendons and ligaments to keep up with the newfound strength of your muscles.

You just cruise along, in my case with four workouts per week (still experimenting with this) and devote other time to play. It's like, I've done my work getting here, now I get to focus my energies on other parts of my life. Career, family, and such.

Anyone else in the same boat? If so, what were your levels of fitness when you decided you were satisfied with where you are?

A few of my numbers are: 2 x bodyweight deadlift, 1 minute 4 secs 400 m, 4:08 Fran, 24 round Cindy. One thing I never got (and only tried a couple of times) was a snatch, a good overhead squat I think for both because I never invested time in the technique and shoulder flexibility) and a muscle up.

Male 30 yo 100 kg give or take, and 6 feet.

I've had some similar thoughts Micheal in regards to Stamina goals. I have reached some chosen goals for majority of Stamina movements pretty quickly and am now maintaining while I focus more on Strength.

A mixture of deminishing returns in different areas and Sport specific goals...

Arn't you a Cop?

How are you balances in line with the CF Goals and hows your Gymnastic skills, that can be fun to mess with, especially Bar and ring work...?

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 08-04-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Stanley Walter

Profile:

I've often wondered the same thing.

When do I quit pushing myself? 400# squat? 600# deadlift? 400# Bench Press? 5 min mile? 100 pushups?

There are a ton of others as well.

Obviously I'm not at that point yet, but eventually, be it 5 years from now, there will come a point where I have reached all the goals I set.

And I'll be 25 years old and wondering what the hell to do next.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
Obviously I'm not at that point yet, but eventually, be it 5 years from now, there will come a point where I have reached all the goals I set.

And I'll be 25 years old and wondering what the hell to do next.
That's easy. Set more goals. Among other things, how about maintaining your 25 year-old performance until you're 35? Or 65? The calendar will always raise the bar for you, even if nothing else does.

Katherine
Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Of course there are other goals.....non-lifting/CF related.

I guess I'll see when I get to that point.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

I agree with Mark.

4 WODs a week is still a brutal schedule for most - if that's your idea of 'maintenance', you aren't exactly slacking!

For me, the best aspect of Crossfit isn't the prospect of reaching the goal of 'Elite Fitness'. I'm pushing 38, have a family and work a desk job - that's unlikely to happen anyway. With a young kid to take care of in the evenings and on the weekend, I don't have time to play sports or otherwise use my fitness. I'm hoping to do so as she gets older but for the moment, i really am doing the WOD solely to get better at the WOD.

For me, Crossfit is all about the bang for the buck. The most results in the least time. Crossfit has got me to a point I'm very happy with in a couple of years of 3-4 WODs a week, done mostly on my lunch breaks. That's incredible to me. I have the option of continuing to push myself hard when I feel I can without killing myself for work the next day or whatever or injuring myself, but also I can just skip workouts with impunity, knowing that I can ramp it up again anytime I feel like i'm slipping. For some, this approach is anathema but it works for me.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I totally follow the logic.

Let's remember that many of us got in shape in order to do (or get back into) a specific activity (a half-marathon, a triathalon, football, wrestling, MMA, skiing, whatever) that we couldn't do at all or didn't have the conditioning to get any good at before. For many of those who didn't start with this goal, we are forming those goals. Maybe you're thinking about learning to kayak, or alpine climbing, or a whole host of other things.

I say reducing your GPP training to maintenance levels and using the freed-up time to pursue these lifestyle/hobby/specific/technical goals is a very healthy thing to do, and probably one that will motivate you to continue "maintaining" for many years, rather than pursuing fitness for fitness sake only.

those hobbies are also something that will tend to be things you are more likley to get your wife/children/friends involved in as well.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

"Learn and play new sports." -- Katherine