CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #11
Justin Shipley

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and/vs Yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
[font="Garamond"][size="3"]I have to partially disagree with Justin. There's absolutely no need to plateau, strength-wise, in yoga. The continual advancement of more and more difficult poses should prevent that. I'm speaking from a background of Ashtanga yoga, though, and without a whole lot of experience with other styles. Maybe you'd plateau after reaching the Advanced D stage of Ashtanga, but please! Show me somebody who's gotten that far. Then ask them if their strength has plateaued. I bet it hasn't.
Unless your bodyweight is constantly increasing as you practice, or you live in one of those areas with gravitational anomalies, you're still gonna plateau, strength-wise, according to the laws of physics, as dictated by bodyweight and gravity.
The length of time it takes to reach that strength plateau will vary wildly, but you can't practice progressive loading in yoga. Unless perhaps you wear a weight vest
And if you ain't doing the progressive loading, in ANY human movement, you ain't getting stronger above what you've currently adapted to.

Yogis who do all the stuff we mortals marvel at, with apparent ease, have simply practised long and hard, achieved the requisite levels of flexibility, balance, co-ordination, local muscular endurance, and yes, STRENGTH, needed to do their thing. Sure they're stronger than you and me as far as performing their asanas goes, but unless the resistance increases magically beyond what is provided naturally from BW and gravity, then those yogis are as strong as they're gonna get, and no more.

Stress/adaptation, stress/adaptation.....
Yoga has an in-built ceiling for stress. Not so CF
Old 07-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #12
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

You're talking about only one kind of strength, though. Absolute strength. Yoga is admittedly better at creating strength endurance, but my understanding is that this does also contribute to absolute strength over time. Wouldn't that be the main thought process behind the "grease the groove" technique? Yoga's habit of adding increasing difficulty over time would prevent adaptation and plateau. I'm still not convinced of your thesis, in other words.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Staying with the context of the OP, and bearing in mind that this is the CF discussion board and not yogasemantics.com,:stir:, remeber that the quality of the stress determines the quality of the adaptation.

And yoga- especially only 3 months of yoga- can only hope to provide stress in the areas of fitness mentioned before; local muscular endurance; BW strength; co-ordination; flexibilty; balance... and that's about it.
Lacking is speed; power; brute strength; accuracy; agility; stamina.
But CF covers these areas, and those covered by yoga too.

That yoga is an addition to overall fitness is undeniable, but it's light years behind CF programming in it's ability to produce quality overall stress in all areas of fitness. This is why I say the gains experienced by the OP should be credited in far larger measure to his previous CFing, and raising of ALL levels of fitness, with the benefits from the yoga providing 'gravy' to the 'meat and potatoes' that were already present
Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #14
Justin Shipley

Profile:

[QUOTE

On the other hand, I suggest that if the CF workouts were shredding you that bad, taking a break with Yoga might have helped because it was active recovery, allowing you to fully realize the strength you've been building with CF.

I don't really consider Yoga a good replacement for anything. It's good for strength and flexibility, yes. But it's more good for getting better at Yoga. I still think CF fills a different need.[/size][/font][/quote]

Strong points all round.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I practice yoga poses 5 times a week, one day for about an hour and about 10 minutes the other days. I try to do yoga all the time though.

Put the fittest yogi in the games and see how he does, or strong man, powerlifting, or kb competition.

THat what we do, the UFC of fitness. Put everyone in a competition, each discipline picks two events, see who wins.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #16
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Yeah, but I still think the problem with this particular comparison is that fitness is not, per se, the ultimate goal of Yoga. It's only considered sort of a helpful step along the way. So it's not a fair comparison. In this framework, we're expecting Yoga to do something in the most ideal way, when it's really only producing fitness as a sort of byproduct of the process.

I would say, though, that an Ashtanga practice would provide adequate Metcon and gymnastic components of a program.

Last edited by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay : 07-22-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Quote:
Unless your bodyweight is constantly increasing as you practice, or you live in one of those areas with gravitational anomalies, you're still gonna plateau, strength-wise, according to the laws of physics, as dictated by bodyweight and gravity.
The length of time it takes to reach that strength plateau will vary wildly, but you can't practice progressive loading in yoga. Unless perhaps you wear a weight vest
And if you ain't doing the progressive loading, in ANY human movement, you ain't getting stronger above what you've currently adapted to.
Not true. Mechanically disadvantaged positions can increase the load endlessly. I'll concur that without weights getting to a 600# deadlift would be tough, but for many, many things smart progressive overload with bodyweight can get you quite far. I do a combination, but saying that you can't get stronger because it's only bodyweight is a fallacy.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
Yoga can't make you stronger, it's just bodyweight.
Okay, this made me ...anyone done pullups lately? Pushups? Muscleups? Situps? Air squats? Let alone gymnastics-type moves that involve leverage to a high degree? And they can't make you stronger?
Quote:
It'll improve flexibility and increase ROM, but not increase strength through the same ROM. It'll definitely reduce post-workout soreness.
But your improvements in your strength and other numbers are all CF, with the yoga just improving your quality of life.
I still disagree that yoga won't increase strength, but yes, improved quality of life is pretty nice.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Whether fitness is the goal of yoga or not is not the point. TH point was the OP was wondering if fitness was result of yoga. My proposition is to test it by using the format we already have for measuring fitness, the games.

THat way we can say, with a fair degree of certianty, to what degree yoga produces fitness results.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
Not true. Mechanically disadvantaged positions can increase the load endlessly. I'll concur that without weights getting to a 600# deadlift would be tough, but for many, many things smart progressive overload with bodyweight can get you quite far. I do a combination, but saying that you can't get stronger because it's only bodyweight is a fallacy.
I suspect that people who say yoga can't make you stronger have only seen a small part of the yoga repertoire. The advanced inversions and balances require as much strength as anything in gymnastics, but most recreational yoga students can't do them. A few examples are at
http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/advancedposes.htm (Seems to be safe, but I haven't followed all the links. Don't try these at home.)

Any guesses on how strong you'd have to be to hold something like a Scorpion (http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/scorpion.htm apparently safe) for 5-10 minutes at a time? Or walk around in that position?

Katherine