CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Omar Omar

Profile:
MMA and street fights??

I was with my friend the other day and he couln't stop talking about how excited he is to start learning umm.. I think he called it magnagrava or something.

He told me to join and all that. Now im just wondering. Does learning any type of mma REALLY help you with fights you may encounter on the streets.

I always belived that when two people are fighting on the street The winner is whomever makes the first proper punch. And maybe size and all that.

So does learning mma really help with fights that may happen on the streets or fights with stupid people you may encounter in your life.

Which type of MMA do you think best does that.

thx.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Justin Metts

Profile:
Re: MMA and street fights??

MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. There are not "types" of it because it encompasses and allows all types of fighting styles. The two dominating styles that are most seen in matches on tv would probably be muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu.

Last edited by Justin Metts : 07-10-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The best way to win a street fight is to avoid it. Any kind of competitive martial arts has rules; street fights don't. The winner of a street fight isn't the guy who makes the first proper punch, it's the guy who bends a pipe around your head when you're looking the other way.

There are two types of people you might encounter on the street. One group is basically looking for targets of opportunity: they'll attack you if you look like an easy target, but will back off from any serious challenge. Essentially any martial art will deter these people. (Belligerent drunks are mostly in this category, too.) The second group is serious street fighters: you don't last long in that group unless you are vicious, brutal, and utterly without restraint. There aren't many of that second group, but they are best avoided if at all possible no matter what training you have.

(As a classical jiu jitsu instructor I know put it: first you take him down this way (demonstrates), then if he gets up, take him down this way (demonstrates), then if he gets up after that, run. He's a serious bad*** and you don't want to **** with him.)

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 07-10-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
I was with my friend the other day and he couln't stop talking about how excited he is to start learning umm.. I think he called it magnagrava or something.

He told me to join and all that. Now im just wondering. Does learning any type of mma REALLY help you with fights you may encounter on the streets.

I always belived that when two people are fighting on the street The winner is whomever makes the first proper punch. And maybe size and all that.

So does learning mma really help with fights that may happen on the streets or fights with stupid people you may encounter in your life.

Which type of MMA do you think best does that.

thx.
Do you mean Krav Maga? If so, that's bad-@$$ stuff and should definitely help during street encounters. It's not MMA. It's training for the real deal. I think it was developed for elite Israeli forces.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
Do you mean Krav Maga? If so, that's bad-@$$ stuff and should definitely help during street encounters. It's not MMA. It's training for the real deal. I think it was developed for elite Israeli forces.
There's actually a really great Krav Maga school in Toronto, somewhat near where the OP lives. If I remember correctly, the guy trained with the originator of Krav Maga.

As for street fights, I agree with Katherine: your best bet is to avoid them. Your most powerful weapon is your mind. Don't put yourself in situations where you have to fight (unless of course, that is your job). However, if youre worried about fighting, martial arts with an emphasis on striking (muay thai, boxing, kickboxing) are worthwhile. Striking is much more effective especially if youre dealing with a crowd of people. Who's to say that other guys or girls arent going to jump in?
The ground is the last place you want to be on the street.
Learning martial arts is more than just simply learning strikes, throws, submissions, etc. It is about developing your mental toughness as well.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

If you end up in a fight with someone in Katherine's first group then one good shot is probably enough to do it.
But if you end up with someone in the second group then she's right, you're in for a vicious fight.
Also think of it like this. Jiu-Jitsu may help you if you are at a party and some guy wants to fight you and nobody else is involved and you take him down and hodl him there.
But you're in a bar or that same party and you take a guy down and his buddy decides to stomp you while you're on the ground. Not good obviously.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Classical grappling styles -- judo, classical jiu jitsu, aikido, etc. -- all have standing holds and submissions, too. It's not all ground work, exactly because the ground is not a good place to be if you have multiple attackers.

The striking vs. grappling debate rages endlessly in martial arts fora. It's worth noting that grappling gives a range of options, from mild come-along holds to "drop the guy on his head, land on him with both feet, rip his arm off, and choke him out with the bloody stump." That makes it potentially more useful in social situations, like persuading drunk Uncle Fred to quit whatever he's doing without giving him a bloody nose or a black eye.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 07-10-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Katherine summed it up well in the third post, tell your friend to avoid street fighting. The winner of a street fight is the one who avoids it.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

While I do agree that the only way to win a fight is to not fight, I can't deny the "Bliss of Combat." I think that any martial art is going to help with your confidence when confronted with a combat situation. The mind is absolutely your best weapon, the fighter that can think clearly and quickly always wins. On the street, in a bar, a club, whatever, there are infinite options with which to defeat your oponent, but if you don't think about them you won't use them.

I think if you really want to be effective you need to take a few punches, kicks, etc, and learn how to think when that is happening. And martial arts is a great way to get that experience. Once you realize you can take a lot more punishment than you think, the fear leaves you and you start to enjoy it. Anyhow, that's my experience from the Army, MMA, bartending, and being one of those drunk frat guys!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

It's also not just the martial art, but how it's taught. To be ready for a real fight, you have to practice it. Unless your training at some point involves trying to use the techniques you have learned to subdue an opponent who is trying his damndest to not let you do that, it won't prepare you for much.