CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Anna Meadors

Profile:
I can't stop eating!

Hey guys! I know that active people have to eat more, but I feel like I am eating WAY too much. I eat clean, probably 80% primal/paleo and the last 20% is stuff like beans, dairy and whey protein. And the occasional piece of dark chocolate. No grains, no added sugar, nothing processed. But over the past couple of days, I have been eating a ridiculous amount of food. I started doing something like CFSB, with ME and high reps for my main lifts and my appetite skyrocketed. Is this normal? I am a small person, I feel like I shouldn't be able to eat as much as I have over the past week (I don't even want to admit the # of calories...). Can someone tell me what too much would be for someone my size? I'm 5'1" ~115 lbs, and while I have not noticed anything bad, I just feel like primal would also be cal restricted because Grok wouldn't have had food available at all times.

Also, I just started my job as a deckhand, during which I am walking around pretty much nonstop for 6 hours for 4 days a week. So would ME + endurance high rep workouts in addition to an active job explain the excessive eating? Should I just use self control? Or should I just listen to my body? I am getting plenty of healthy fats, protein and fruits and veggies, so its not like it is a craving for unhealthy stuff.

Soooo yeah, sorry about the excessively long post. If you can't tell, I worry too much sometimes. Okay, gotta go eat something...
Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: I can't stop eating!

sounds like it may be a natural reaction due to the increased activity. I wouldn't worry unless you notice something unfavorable...
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Meadors View Post
Also, I just started my job as a deckhand, during which I am walking around pretty much nonstop for 6 hours for 4 days a week. So would ME + endurance high rep workouts in addition to an active job explain the excessive eating?
No. Dramatically increasing your activity level indicates that it's NOT excessive eating. People are often amazed by the amount of food I can put away, too.

Don't worry about it. If you insist on being *really* paranoid, keep an eye on your weight: unless it goes up, you're burning everything you take in.

Katherine
Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Don't worry, this is a natural worry shared by all women.

Even women who don't walk for 6 hours a day and lift massive weights have been known to worry about their weight.

If I was you, I'd be more worried about developing buns of steel, because with that work load and diet, you are in for some heavy metal my friend, oh yes!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Anna;
Agree with other posters, but if you're still going to worry, consider tracking calories for a few weeks, but for that to really work well, you have to establish, three base numbers or ranges.

1. How many calories to consume AND I lose weight, say in your case 1600-2000.

2. How many calories to maintain current weight, say 2000-2300

3. How many calories to consume to grow muscle, get stronger, offset increased activity, say 2500-3000.

If you're eating 4,000 calories, at some point your going to add some weight, so be prepared. BTW, adding 5-10 lbs of muscle and little fat ain't the worst thing, but you have to be comfortable with that.

I made the above numbers up, so don't take them to heart, and I would suggest Fitday to track with, but it's your call.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
Ben Gallardy

Profile:

Anna,

Ditto, ditto, ditto.....to the other posters. And I feel the same way. Have done one circuit of CFSB earlier in the year, took it easy for a while training for a race and now doing CFSB in the mornings and a CFE workout in the evenings and I CAN'T EAT ENOUGH either. I've been keeping it clean though (paleo) and haven't seen significant weight gain. I've gained 3 pounds over the last month but contribute that to the heavy weights and muscle gain, not the food. Burn more-eat more.

Ben
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Randy Hill

Profile:

I think it's really important to listen to what your body is telling you. If it wants more food, give it more food! I have also noticed since being on paleo that I can put away a ton of food - probably because most of my foods are less calorie-dense on paleo, I.E. vegetables and such.

BTW I do CFSB as well.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
Anna Meadors

Profile:

Thank you guys so much for your responses! I figured I didn't need to worry too much.

Jay, I've been eating in the 2500-3000 range, and I definitely am trying to gain strength, so I'm not worried about slight weight gain.

So I guess when I posted this, it wasn't so much about gaining weight, but more about being gluttonous, if that makes sense. But I do understand I need to fuel my body. Thanks so much everyone!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Sounds reasonable to me. Active Job + Heavy workout schedule = high caloric demands.

I am a small person like you (I'm 5'2 and 106 last time I weighed), and people are often surprised by how much food I can put away.

I generally tend to be quite active outside of work (walking, running, biking, and the gym of course) but for my job I sit on my butt all day, 8+ hours.

But with my regular activity I have no problem eating 2000 calories or even 2500.

my weight rarely changes. i think if you listen to your body, and are eating mostly good, whole foods - then your hunger signals won't be messed up, you are eating what your body wants & needs in this time of high activity. Enjoy those eats, yum yum!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I've been in the same situation. At the start of every summer I have to eat more to sustain myself because I start golfing, playing in tournaments, and caddying. At first it seems like alot of food, but I get used to it and it feels normal after about a week or two. The worst thing to do would be to try to eat what you were eating beforehand with your current busy schedule. I dialed back how much I ate for a few days because I felt like I was stuffing my face (when in fact I was eating for maintenance) the past couple days, and wound up tired, out of energy, and felt like crap. Went back to eating like it was going out of style and I felt good again. So just listen to your body and eat! (pretty much what everyone already said heh, just offering real experience.)