CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
What is "elite" fitness

Crossfit's motto, Forging-Elite-Fitness, does not state what elite means. How does one know when he/she is among the elitely fit?

I would be interested in other's thought
Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: What is "elite" fitness

wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=3471
Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Fitness is dependent on the context...i think that link sums up the best "all around" fitness, but if your goals are different, then so be it.

But please don't tell me "elite" is 22" Arms....
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:

Thanks Steve for the link. I believe one of the North Carolina CF groups has a similar listing.

I'm thinking of a more global definition of fitness, and I've come to a few conclusions.

1) Fitness takes time. Elite Fitness takes ALOT of time. The health benefits occur with modest (6 mets) effort beginning at about 15min/workout. But anyone who places in the top of any sport contest, e.g. 10km run, spends alot more than 15 minutes/workout.

2) Elite Fitness requires stressing both anerobic and aerobic energy pathways. Anerobic stress is easy to achieve in seconds. Aerobic stress requires exhausting glycogen stores which means moderate (10-13mets) effort for an hour or more.

3) Elite fitness means measuring and discovering what you're capable of: If you run a 2:30:00 marathon, a single 5:45 mile is not much stress, and hence would not be elite. However, if you run a 8 min mile and have maxed out your Heart Rate, then running an 8min mile is elite for you.

4) Once you know what personal elite fitness means across numerous activites, then you can compare yourself to established times and/or loads. Rarely a person who has reached a personal level of elite fitness will also reach a national or world level.

Personally, I would like to see the CrossFit games used to establish best times/loads for the various named workouts and split out catagories by male/female and 5 year age groups to allow people to know if a personally elite level of fitness is also elite for the CrossFit community.

4)
Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R Davis View Post
Thanks Steve for the link. I believe one of the North Carolina CF groups has a similar listing.

I'm thinking of a more global definition of fitness, and I've come to a few conclusions.

1) Fitness takes time. Elite Fitness takes ALOT of time. The health benefits occur with modest (6 mets) effort beginning at about 15min/workout. But anyone who places in the top of any sport contest, e.g. 10km run, spends alot more than 15 minutes/workout.

2) Elite Fitness requires stressing both anerobic and aerobic energy pathways. Anerobic stress is easy to achieve in seconds. Aerobic stress requires exhausting glycogen stores which means moderate (10-13mets) effort for an hour or more.

3) Elite fitness means measuring and discovering what you're capable of: If you run a 2:30:00 marathon, a single 5:45 mile is not much stress, and hence would not be elite. However, if you run a 8 min mile and have maxed out your Heart Rate, then running an 8min mile is elite for you.

4) Once you know what personal elite fitness means across numerous activites, then you can compare yourself to established times and/or loads. Rarely a person who has reached a personal level of elite fitness will also reach a national or world level.

Personally, I would like to see the CrossFit games used to establish best times/loads for the various named workouts and split out catagories by male/female and 5 year age groups to allow people to know if a personally elite level of fitness is also elite for the CrossFit community.

4)
Aerobic stress does NOT require depleting glycogen stores. glycogen depletion is what occurs when you "hit the wall" in the last few miles of a marathon... it requires 2+ hours of sustained effort. Aerobic stress is really stressing the cardiovascular system, which takes only a few minutes, although you're right that sustained efforts of varying intensity up to an hour or more are a good way to develop the system, rather than strictly ~15 min workouts.

I like your other points, especially about your "personal" elite fitness. it's easy to get caught up in comparing ourselves to others.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Colin Francis

Profile:

you know, dave's fitness standards mentioned earlier don't have a seperate category for women (or I didn't see one). women who have trained hard should be able to claim a certain level of fitness, not be forever relegated to a 'level 2' or even 'level 3'.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R Davis View Post
Crossfit's motto, Forging-Elite-Fitness, does not state what elite means.
A 600-pound Deadlift and an 18-minute 5K.

That was easy.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Aerobic stress does NOT require depleting glycogen stores. glycogen depletion is what occurs when you "hit the wall" in the last few miles of a marathon... it requires 2+ hours of sustained effort.
For elite athletes glycogen depletion can be attained much quicker than this.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
David Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
A 600-pound Deadlift and an 18-minute 5K.

That was easy.
Classic.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Francis View Post
you know, dave's fitness standards mentioned earlier don't have a seperate category for women (or I didn't see one). women who have trained hard should be able to claim a certain level of fitness, not be forever relegated to a 'level 2' or even 'level 3'.
The current Crossfit Seattle standards (http://www.crossfitseattle.com/athletic_skill.html WFS) do have separate values for women, at least in some of the categories.

Katherine